Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 40,582 times

Advertisements

I just received my child's CATS test results for private school admission application. I'm pleased with the results (they ranked my child as statistically 'superior'--which actually feels a little strange and I wonder if the 'results' are inflated) but I was hoping for more explanation or information. The whole CATS process seems so guarded and lacking in information. Does anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,720,326 times
Congratulations on your results.

You can look up the test name on google for more information. Its in the upper right hand corner of the results pages. To keep things fair for all, I think we should respect the process and not name it online. Some parents will attempt to cheat by prepping their kids.

Based on what I know from talking to parents and what we saw with our own son, the test given by CATS at preschool ages sometimes understate things a bit.

For example, a friend's daughter took a much longer and more detailed test two years later and went from 96th percentile to 99.9. My son was skipped two grades and maxed out the ITBS for his grade level placing him in the 99.9 percentile, yet the CATS test said his verbal skills were average for his age group. LOL.

Reading the literature online and talking to psychologists, scores are very fluid until the child gets to be 7 or 8. The scores can jump up and down.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM

64 posts, read 277,336 times
Congratulations! You must be relieved. My child is taking it in two weeks. Do you know whether the child is expected to write down answers?

I'm not sure at this point whether my 4-year-old will even agree to sit down with a stranger for an hour let alone answer any questions...

Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 40,582 times
My child was ranked average on the verbal portion but then scored very highly on the other portion so the overall was still a high score. My child was 4 when the test was administered and my child is shy around strangers, so I think shyness contributed to lack of responsiveness on the 'verbal' section of the assessment.

The psychiatrist that administered the test is very good with children but in my opinion, any 4 year old will be shy when taken by a stranger into a closed-door room away from mommy.

I am relieved and can imagine that opening an envelope containing lower scores would be upsetting. BUT...my friend whose children attended Lamplighter told me her oldest got a CATS 99th percentile overall and was wait listed by Lamplighter (child later got in) so that siblings with lower scores could be guaranteed admission. Ugh. I get the reasoning for sibling admissions, but still, ugh.

To the parent with a child taking test in the near future, half the test is asking questions of the child and seeking a verbal/spoken answer; the other half is showing the child a question on paper (like 3 triangles and 1 square as a simple example) and asking the child to point to the answer (which one does not belong). I do not think there is any writing involved. I know it is difficult not to stress out, but try not to as your child will feel that stress. The only 'prep' is basic good parenting; read to your child and play games and puzzles with them.

I understand to keep the results pure and accurate there should be no prepping of pre-k children. I just have no one to talk to about this except the one friend I mentioned, and with no one to talk to and very little information available, I was seeking a discussion about the results and anecdotes from other parents who have been through this process. So thank you to TX75007...good to know the much lower verbal result should not cause me much concern right now as things are still very fluid at this young age.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM

100 posts, read 437,503 times
Got my kiddo's results in yesterday, too. While the report explains how the results compare with test-takers nationwide, I have no idea how they compare with those of kids who are admitted to top tier private schools in Dallas.

Anybody have any insight on what is considered a good CATS score for St. Mark's, Hockaday, Greenhill type schools? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 PM

260 posts, read 558,210 times
I'm also curious about how the results correspond to admissions. We were happy with the results, but not sure what's the normal range for admission at the elites. Do all the kids fall in the 95-99% range? Also, if kids do fall in that upper range which schools private or public have the best programs to meet their needs.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM

I can't speak for the Dallas privates but in NY, where I am, you basically need to be in the 99th percentile to be considered at the top schools (assuming you're not a sibling, legacy or progeny of billionaires). And 99th percentile is pretty much what everyone gets at the feeder preschools. As you can imagine, prepping is rampant. It's pretty ridiculous. I was hoping the admissions process would be less onerous in Dallas but perhaps that's wishful thinking. I like that the CATS test is "un-prep-able" as I have neither the patience nor the inclination to do so with a child who is only 4. Yes I am nervous that my child will rn screaming from the room...

Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 AM

100 posts, read 437,503 times
Thanks for the insight - 99th percentile to even be considered is pretty stout. Anybody know what the CATS scores look like for the top tier schools in Dallas? Thanks.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM

For those of you who received their child's CATS test results, how long did you have to wait until you received the results?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM

260 posts, read 558,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
For those of you who received their child's CATS test results, how long did you have to wait until you received the results?
I think it depends on when they were tested and was included in the letter with the testing info. For those tested before 12/31/2011 results were sent the second week in January. I think that testing after that date may not receive results until late February, but I may be off on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: