Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM

94 posts, read 304,986 times

Advertisements

I figure I will pay about $3600/yr with HO, Umbrella liability and for riders to cover the nanny and valuables that need separate coverage

Compare that the $1750/yr I paid for the same coverage in Ohio, Indiana, North Carolina, Georgia and Minnesota, for full replacement coverage and contents, under the same circumstances....

Each of those areas noted above had risks for hail, tornado, fall out from hurricanes, ice storms, etc, so I still can't see where the additional costs come from, other than the state insurance commission is not a strong advocate for the citizens of this state....

It is what it is I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
the fact is that IF my 25 yr old home (2600 sq ft, 3/2.5/2) home in a nice neighborhood in Bedford burned to the ground AND I rebuilt it with basically the same sq ft and design I would price the house out of the market so that I could not sell it for the reconstruction cost...

I know that insurance would supposedly cover the cost to rebuild but still--try selling a home that is probably priced 50% or so above what homes in any neighborhood sell for...

Part of what we are paying for when we are made to pay steeply increased premiums is the failure of insurance companies to meet their projected returns on their invested funds--
the monies they invest in stock market and other venues that are supposed to earn them enough money to cover factors like high damage claims that the policies premiums fail to cover...and they do this with monies from their polcies--they don't just stick it in a bank account and let it sit there...

people forget that some of the largest investors on Wall St are insurance companies--
when the market sank like it did in 2008 unless insurance companies were extremely smart--they lost money just like everyone else--
and with no margin for error in investments any more (there are not SAFE 4% returns) more companies are driven to make riskier investments
if they don't pan out then insurance companies have to make up the difference on the backs of people they are selling policies to...since they are the ones that will be filing claims...

I think this is one area that most people don't take into account when they think about how ins companies operate--
I think all of them operate investments with at least a portion of the money from policy holders for any type of policy--
car insurance/home/life/annuity

Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Out of curiosity (and I bet I know the answer), you aren't eligible for USAA, are you?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
So, let's say, theoretically, one were to purchase a 450K house in Colleyville with a pool. Any idea approximately what the homeowner's insurance costs would be, assuming the normal caveats that it depends on deductibles and whatnot? Approximate ranges are fine.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
I have no idea the formula insurance companies use to compute their premium. However, I have 2 closings next week with one client who got a binder from Geico for $750 on a 230K home and another one for 550K with a pool and a high liability coverage with Germainia for $1800. Both have a 1% deductible.

Naima

Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
So, let's say, theoretically, one were to purchase a 450K house in Colleyville with a pool. Any idea approximately what the homeowner's insurance costs would be, assuming the normal caveats that it depends on deductibles and whatnot? Approximate ranges are fine.
You can obtain approximate prices at the TDI WEB site. They have a link to a function that will calculate it for you, and allow you to compare the policies and rates between various insurance providers. These are the rates for "Admitted" carriers here in Texas.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
You can obtain approximate prices at the TDI WEB site. They have a link to a function that will calculate it for you, and allow you to compare the policies and rates between various insurance providers. These are the rates for "Admitted" carriers here in Texas.

Here is the Texas HelpInsure TDI site mentioned by escanlan, where you can compare sample insurance rates and policy provisions for both home and autos.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-16-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I have read other positive posts about Germania--which I don't personally know anything about--and had never heard of until the last year or so

Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
Texas went from low insurance rates and good coverage until the Republicans took over. With our high rates guess how they pay claims.

I have had good luck with Safeco and Travelers at least they are better with customers. If you can get USAA they are cheap but hard to get your claims taken care of without a lot of fighting.

Car Insurance is even worse

Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,277 times
So car insurance is also bad? Is this all a recent change within these past few years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas