Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What kind of travel will you be doing? If its all domestic, you may be able to use Love Field. If you are doing any kind of international travel, its worth the trip to DFW.

Either way, DFW is a much nicer airport and has many more flights to many more destinations. Even when Wright goes away, DFW will offer far superior options.
It's all domestic, but I generally like to fly United or at least Star Alliance. I could be convinced to go Southwest if it was really more convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyd38 View Post
It's all domestic, but I generally like to fly United or at least Star Alliance. I could be convinced to go Southwest if it was really more convenient.
If your going to be living in Dallas, you should probably start using the OneWorld carriers. When I lived in LA I used United, but now that Im here it makes no sense to.

Im a million miler with United and Im almost there with American. The benefits of Milage Plus and AAdvantage are very similar. Delta has a crappy program, but you dont have to worry about them here.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Considering one of you will be commuting to Duncanville, North Oak Cliff might make some sense as well. It's an older neighborhood southwest of downtown, meaning it's slightly closer to Duncanville and the southwest part of the Metroplex than the Knox-Henderson area or Uptown. But it's also not that far from Love Field across the river and it's near I-30.

Right now, North Oak Cliff doesn't have a lot of new construction apartments and the only walkable area is the rather small Bishop Arts District but all of that is starting to change with new apartments like this:

Zang Triangle Apartments for Rent | Dallas TX Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

And the Bishop Arts area is starting to grow a lot as new places start to sprout up and down Davis. Not to mention the area has more trees, rolling hills, and character than some of Dallas.

Bishop Arts District - Oak Cliff - Dallas, TX

http://bishopartsdistrict.weebly.com/

Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 PM

291 posts, read 674,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyd38 View Post
Thank you all for your advice. We would probably go for a 1br in a good location. We're looking into some of your recommendations.
@CGGirl my wife and I both grew up in MoCo. Your comments about the dart are helpful. Do others agree? Are some of the lines better than others? What is parking like downtown? I dont like driving if I dont have to.
I like the idea of a walkable neighborhood (I'm moving from Arlington VA) and Knox henderson sounds nice.
Uptown and West Village would be more walkable than Knox Henderson. Knox Henderson doesn't have a drug store or a grocery store. Nearest would be in Uptown/West Village. Some say you can walk there from Knox Henderson but I am a native NY'er and walk pretty past and it's a LONG walk.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
When was the last time you were in Adams-Morgan or down Mckinney? Using broad strokes, the two are similar, obviously Mckinney Ave doesn't have the ethnic restaurants that AM does.
I was down McKinney Ave about two weeks ago and I lived in DC from the 90's to just a few years ago. The two are not similar at all. What do you see as similar?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Henderson has two grocery stores: Store Locator :: Sunflower Markets (http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/Shop/WeeklyAd.aspx - broken link) and Fiesta Mart | Fiesta in the DFW Metroplex at Ross Avenue.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Henderson has two grocery stores: Store Locator :: Sunflower Markets (http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/Shop/WeeklyAd.aspx - broken link) and Fiesta Mart | Fiesta in the DFW Metroplex at Ross Avenue.
Meh, I wouldn't consider Sunflower a full service grocery store and that's not really that close to what I consider Knox-Henderson. The Fiesta on Ross was nearer to where I lived in Uptown (but not close) but I don't see how it is anywhere near the Knox Henderson Area. When I think of Knox-Henderson, I think of the area around all of the mattress stores, the Apple Store, and Z-Gallerie and Cole Avenue. The Fiesta on Ross is sort of in the "hood" and not really near Knox or Uptown. It is on the corner of Ross and Greenville and I also wouldn't consider that a full service grocery store. I would consider it more like an ethnic grocery store or specialty grocery store.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,777 times
What constitutes uptown/ west village?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
I was down McKinney Ave about two weeks ago and I lived in DC from the 90's to just a few years ago. The two are not similar at all. What do you see as similar?
A couple of blocks long, a bunch of bars, a few restaurants, crowds wander around at night...

Of course you can't dip into the Common Share (now closed) or TomTom or Heaven and Hell or grab a slice at Pizza Mart, but they are vaguely similar.

I had a view of the Capitol and Monument out of my window during my time there (and the drug dealing going on below).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas