Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times

Advertisements

This is the best thread on here in a while. The OP tosses out some juicy flame bait, and the denizens eat it up.

To semi-seriously address the original proposal:

Issuing a $500 fine for such a situation would be a jerk move.

First, as others have pointed out, the type of person who runs out of gas is often the type of person who only had enough $$$$ to put in a few gallons of gas in the first place. Definitely a "kick 'em when they're down" setup.

Second, they already have to do the walk of shame to and from the gas station. That alone should be enough punishment to ensure it doesn't happen to them a second time, without needing to their wallet.

Third, unlike littering or driving without insurance, this isn't something someone actively engages in. Again, as others have cited, there are many ways your car can run out of gas OTHER than just active neglect on your part.

Fourth, good luck to the cop who needs to legally establish that lack of gas is the culprit, as opposed to mechanical problems. Instituting this would just result in every empty tank (facing a steep fine) turning into "mechanical problems", requiring a tow to clear the situation, rather than just a splash of fuel.

Finally, 635 ain't the Holland Tunnel. NYC doesn't fine you for running out of gas anywhere in the city, just in one specific space-limited location.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM

325 posts, read 756,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
This is the best thread on here in a while. The OP tosses out some juicy flame bait, and the denizens eat it up.

To semi-seriously address the original proposal:

Issuing a $500 fine for such a situation would be a jerk move.

First, as others have pointed out, the type of person who runs out of gas is often the type of person who only had enough $$$$ to put in a few gallons of gas in the first place. Definitely a "kick 'em when they're down" setup.

Second, they already have to do the walk of shame to and from the gas station. That alone should be enough punishment to ensure it doesn't happen to them a second time, without needing to their wallet.

Third, unlike littering or driving without insurance, this isn't something someone actively engages in. Again, as others have cited, there are many ways your car can run out of gas OTHER than just active neglect on your part.

Fourth, good luck to the cop who needs to legally establish that lack of gas is the culprit, as opposed to mechanical problems. Instituting this would just result in every empty tank (facing a steep fine) turning into "mechanical problems", requiring a tow to clear the situation, rather than just a splash of fuel.

Finally, 635 ain't the Holland Tunnel. NYC doesn't fine you for running out of gas anywhere in the city, just in one specific space-limited location.
The bigger shame would be if you were sitting out on 635 with your Nissan Leaf having no charge, waving an extension cord around

Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,666 times
This whole threads brings up a big issue with many freeways and tollways in the DFW metro: the lack of a big enough shoulder.

Take, for example, the Dallas North Tollway in Dallas and Addison. Is there even a proper shoulder? Accidents (or any car stoppage) become a nightmare on these stretches of the DNT because of the lack of a shoulder. Don't really understand how any freeway or tollway ever got built here without at least one huge shoulder [wide enough for an 18-wheeler] to the right (and preferably, a shoulder on the left, at least wide enough for a regular car, too).

Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Obviously if you run out of gas there is a money problem, so you want to fine the man $500 so that after he pays it he runs out of gas again and delays you on your shopping trip?
Unlikely the guy was cash broke as he was driving a very nice car.

For me is was not a shopping trip either I had vendors from overseas in the car.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Once, my roommate's car was in the shop and when it was done he took mine to go get his. I was at work when it was done and was having a co-worker drop me off at the shop to get my car once I was off. Once I started driving back, I immediately got on 183 at PGBT in Irving. While going up the ramp, my car died due to no gas. The gas light had never come on (which usually allowed me 30-40 miles) and I hadn't had a chance to put any gas in it at the time. So OP, what do you suggest I could have done to avoid that?
I think if people were ticketed for things like this running out of gas in traffic would decrease in frequency.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM

469 posts, read 886,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I think if people were ticketed for things like this running out of gas in traffic would decrease in frequency.
True, but I don't think I would have deserved a ticket. After all, what law did I break?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
True, but I don't think I would have deserved a ticket. After all, what law did I break?
You didn't break any law therefore you did not deserve a ticket. IMO the law should be changed.

If you keep a gun(s) at home it's your responsibility to know if they are loaded or not no excuses ever.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,077 times
I call BS on this one. If you were really concerned about the welfare of the other drivers on the road (and not your own precious time), then you would have picked up the phone and called someone to help, if you couldn't help them yourself. Was the guy irresponsible for running out of gas on the highway? Probably. Where you irresponsible for not assisting in some way (even just a phone call to the authorities)? Absolutely!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Unlikely the guy was cash broke as he was driving a very nice car.

For me is was not a shopping trip either I had vendors from overseas in the car.
SO, THIS is the real reason of your self important rant. you had visitors in your car with you and felt speecial, OH MY!!!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,626 times
Quote:
I have yet to see someone stalling their car on a highway due to running out of fuel. In all 14 years of living in Dallas with almost daily trips on LBJ.

The frequency of this offense is apparently very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas