Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM

227 posts, read 529,217 times

Advertisements

1. Thicker sub flooring decreases noise significantly.
2. It depends on the price difference and your cooking needs. We didn't notice much difference between our previous disposal and newer one but its a good thing to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I am living in the house my DH bought as a single man back in 1997. I moved in 2004 because my house was easy to sell, with the idea I would update this house and we would sell it and then get something together. But traveling and business demands drew my attention elsewhere and then the big housing slowdown struck by 2007....so here we sit. It's a big house in a good location to airport and city, everyone in our area uses pirate schools because the schools are not great. That's a resale issue. But my actual problem is its on a hillside, so half basement is under this pier & beam house with garage under the house accessed from alley. That means groceries must be carried up the stairs or unloaded at front door and walked thru the house and then car driven around back to garage. Any future homes really need good flow between kitchen and car, especially as we age and it gets more difficult to transfer groceries.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but no hot water heaters in the attic!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
2. It depends on the price difference and your cooking needs. We didn't notice much difference between our previous disposal and newer one but its a good thing to have.
So thicker subfloor is worth it....

But a 3/4hp disposal is overkill.

I see...

Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Hey guys -

Sorry to bring up my old thread... but what about these two:

1. Subflooring upstairs? Advantech good? Should I stick with 3/4 inch or upgrade to 1 1/8 inch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
Not really.

Thicker subflooring upstairs doesn't make hardly any difference in the noise level, because the amount of empty air between the studs stays the same and the sound echoes through it just the same.

Best way to reduce noise from upstairs is to put insulation in between the studs before laying the floor. I did this with my upstairs game room and it made a world of difference, while also making the room more energy efficient.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM

227 posts, read 529,217 times
Just my experience. I am not a construction guy or a cook so take it with a grain of salt. I was told by my floor guy that good subfloors were the reason to keep it quite. My wife told me that stronger disposal is no good, money should've been spent on a better looking backsplash. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas