Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 AM

5 posts, read 23,338 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I have read several threads on here that talk about Grand Homes bringing down the prices of the houses in the neighborhoods where they are built.

We are interested in Cumberland Crossing neighborhood building with Windsor Homes. That neighborhood has mostly Grand Homes and then also Windsor and Drees and in the final phase of 120+ homes, it is only Windsor and Grand Homes.

Here are my questions:
1) Is there something unique about this neighborhood (perhaps the higher price point - all houses are 350k+) that make the logic of Grand Homes bringing down prices any different?
2) Which neighborhoods within Allen or otherwise did Grand Homes build and the prices have fallen?
3) Anyone who live in Cumberland Crossing (or otherwise) have any comments about the neighborhood? Currently, the HOA is managed by a third-party, unlike Starcreek neighborhood and there seems to be no homeowner activities, like in Starcreek. Any plans for any of this to change soon? We would like to be in a community that interacts.
4) Any other neighborhoods that we should look at? We like Starcreek as well but they go into 400k for the 65' lots and we really like to stay around 350-370k.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 125,450 times
For your first two questions, I have anecdotal evidence only, so take it for what its worth. In Allen, a couple of west side neighborhoods like Waterford Crossing, Waterford Parks have Grand homes, and don't seem to be fairing as well resale wise as surrounding neigborhoods. But frankly, just listen to the realtors on this board about Grand, and that should be all you need to hear.

I live in Starcreek - so disclaimer there - but there are very few new neighborhoods in Allen in my experience that have as active a homerowner community as Starcreek. Its pretty nice. I think a lot of that has to do with the community center and amenities, but regardless, its a very active HOA. Also, it is managed by a third party, but the homeowners are just really active in managing/participating.

If you need to build, then yes, you might be in the 4s in Starcreek. You can get a spec or resale in the mid to high 3s.
Honestly, if you need to spend a little more, the benefit of a builder like Highland or Darling (who are arguably 2 of the best non-custom builders in TX) over Grand or some others is well worth the extra 30 to 50k. Again, don't take my word for it... talk to / look at posts from realtors on this site.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 23,338 times
Thanks for your response.

We are currently looking into Starcreek - there are couple of preowned homes that seem great and of course, both Highland/Darling new home look great.

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,704,246 times
It's not the initial value you need to worry about. But 5-10 years down the road when the Grand homes are falling apart and they aren't as *eye appealing* as before. Currently we have 3 Grand Homes that have either had their brick exterior replaced or is actively falling off the house. All about 6 yrs old. Definitely not what I want people driving past as they get to my Sotherby home if I was selling.

As far as the HOA/activities - is it still under developer control? Usually a neighborhood won't flip to homeowner control until a substantial portion of the neighborhood is built out and owned by individuals. So it may be that they have not really encouraged social activities at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: