Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times

Advertisements

We're being relocated to Midlothian in about 3 months. I am a homeschooling mother with 2 small children, so I'd really like a place that gives us everything we need: fresh air, hiking / nature areas, near enough a whole foods or farmer's markets, close enough to city to take advantage of libraries / parks / museums. Since my husband will be working in Midlothian, we'd like to keep his commute as short as possible, but we really don't want to live in a 'dry' town, as I'm neither super religious or conservative. What areas are clean / safe / relatively out of the city but still adjacent, and not quite so conservative. The northern suburbs are just too far, and an hour commute for my husband will just be too much. I really appreciate any info you all have to offer. Oh, and we'll be renting, as our time here will be less than 18 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,580 times
Default Midlothian is a good choice

For what you are looking for, Midlothian is actually a great choice! It's a nice town with a lot of good people. As far as being "dry", Mansfield is just down 287 and offers several beer and wine and full liquor stores.

Midltothian is also close to Cedar Hill which offers Joe Pool lake, a state park, and a recently opened audobon center - Dogwood Canyon Audubon Center | Texas.

There is even a Home School Co-op in Midlothian that you might be interested in. Midlothian Homeschool Co-op

Hope this helps!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,147 times
The biggest thing in Midlothian is the High School Football Field.
Midlothian is south of Arlington, you can take 287 north to the supermarket.
If you want more country, small cities you can take 287 south to Waxahachie or Ennis.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Cedar Hill is close. But really there's not a thing wrong with Midlothian for an 18 month stay. Its a nice town and how nice for Dad to be really really close!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Midlothian is very much a bedroom community. I would suggest Cedar Hill, there is a Sprouts there, which is the closest thing to a whole foods. Lots of shopping and dining options too. Also a lot more closer to Dallas if you wanted to visit etc.

Naima

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM

44 posts, read 73,345 times
As long as you don't talk politics, you will be OK in Midlothian. I have lived there for several years, and I have yet to meet a democrat! I'm sure there are a few somewhere though...

You might also consider Cedar Hill; the commute for your husband would only be a few minutes. There are a lot more things to do in the way of shopping and Joe Pool Lake is there.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM

307 posts, read 531,924 times
The link below is the Lakeridge area of Cedar Hill but the video includes some of the overall amenities in the city.

Texas Lake Property | Texas Lakefront Property | Joe Pool Lake Homes Cedar Hill does sounds perfect for you.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-26-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM

134 posts, read 548,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri7773 View Post
We're being relocated to Midlothian in about 3 months. I am a homeschooling mother with 2 small children, so I'd really like a place that gives us everything we need: fresh air, hiking / nature areas, near enough a whole foods or farmer's markets, close enough to city to take advantage of libraries / parks / museums. Since my husband will be working in Midlothian, we'd like to keep his commute as short as possible, but we really don't want to live in a 'dry' town, as I'm neither super religious or conservative. What areas are clean / safe / relatively out of the city but still adjacent, and not quite so conservative. The northern suburbs are just too far, and an hour commute for my husband will just be too much. I really appreciate any info you all have to offer. Oh, and we'll be renting, as our time here will be less than 18 months.

Midlothian is amazing but you certainly won't find any fresh air here. The air is so bad that Erin Brokavich actually came to town. Like 4 cement plants, they burn tires, etc.

Fouling the Air at TXI

Last edited by unteagle; 02-01-2012 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
Midlothian is amazing but you certainly won't find any fresh air hear. The air is so bad that Erin Brokavich actually came to town. Like 4 cement plants, they burn tires, etc.

Fouling the Air at TXI

how current is this link? If you do more research I believe Midlothian has reinstated as a clean air area. Go to the town's website

Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM

134 posts, read 548,539 times
i work in midlothian, raised for 20 years. here is from april 2011.
Midlothian is a 37-ton-a-day smoker (http://downwindersatrisk.org/_blog/News_Plume/post/Midlothian_is_a_37-ton-a-day_smoker/ - broken link)

Trust me it still is bad. but hey my grandmother lived in her 90's and both grandpas in to there mid 70's which is pretty good. So how much it really affects longevity I don't know. I do personally know about 6 people from midltohian with MS which some attribute to this. I have no idea how midlothian stacks up against other areas but we still have all the cement plants, steel mills, etc.

a lot of allergy sufferers and asthmatics but then again I don't know how we stack up against other areas.

Overall I love midlothian. Great schools, low crime, low traffic. Very fast growing town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas