Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,005 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am seriously considering a move to Texas. I am looking for general advice preferably from people who have lived and worked in Dallas, Houston, or Austin. I just want to hear YOUR experiences and what you loved/hated about these cities (traffic, entertainment, etc.) I have gotten some feedback from a few people who moved to Dallas from Iowa, and they love it. But I still feel like I need to hear more about these cities and what I may be getting myself into. I know every big city has crime and traffic, and I know all of these cities can probably offer me good eats/breweries and entertainment....but which one do YOU like best? I am also seeking recommendations on suburbs right outside/within close driving distance to these major cities (Dallas, Houston, or Austin).

About me:
I'm a 27 year old female, I graduate dental hygiene school this semester, I have a significant other (no children), I enjoy being outdoors, working out, live music, and I currently live in Davenport, IA. Why am I considering a move to Texas? JOBS! I've heard from a handful of friends who moved there recently, that there are significantly more dental hygiene jobs in Texas compared to most other states (correct me if someone believes otherwise), especially Iowa. I also was told by a previous graduate of my dental hygiene program that expected hourly wages for hygienists in Dallas are around 30.00/hour, I expect to be making roughly 57k per year, if that means anything. My sig. other works in social work, and she will be seeking employment in that field.

I realize there have been several posts similar to this one, but from what I read, other posters have been more concerned with things like low crime and the "best" school districts. Personally, I just want to hear real opinions and experiences that can help me in my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I moved to the DFW area over 30 years ago. I had lived in Des Moines and Omaha for 10 years before making the move. I was so tired of cold weather! We loved it here; mostly because it is so big and we didn't have to worry about shoveling snow. Over the years I find I have become intolerant to the long hot summers. Last year was especially hot and drawn out. I take trips to Santa Fe, Vermont, any place in California and Colorado during the months of July - October to escape and that makes the heat somewhat manageable. The initial reaction to moving here was the great ethnic diversity here at all economic levels. During the time I lived in the midwest, the majority population in my areas was always caucasian. During the time I lived in the midwest, there was not a large Hispanic/Latin population. Here in the Dallas area, one can easily live w/o knowing English if Spanish is the main language. Another thing I noticed back then was the large volume of high-end cars being driven by people of all ages. I think even now there tends to be more new, expensive cars on the road than in many other areas. So, if you drive a modest, older model car you may feel a bit inferior. Women wear more makeup here and tend to look more "put together" IMO. Superficial image just does seem to matter more here....did back then and I think still does. People here enjoy a higher standard of living. You see more granite and stainless steel in kitchens at all levels. There's just more bling, in general in the Dallas area. There's always been an upbeat vibe to the DFW area. Was back then, still is. Can't really define it, but certainly do feel it.

Don't expect to make $30 ph starting out, by the way.....

Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,005 times
I know I can expect ridiculously hot weather....I lived in South Carolina for a few years, so I've had some experience with horrid humidity plus high temps....sweating 24/7. I can only imagine Texas heat feels like being trapped inside an oven??? yikes. Also, I am not necessarily banking on 30/hour, but hygienists do make a good living. So, minus the heat, you are happy with DFW area?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor03 View Post
I know I can expect ridiculously hot weather....I lived in South Carolina for a few years, so I've had some experience with horrid humidity plus high temps....sweating 24/7. I can only imagine Texas heat feels like being trapped inside an oven??? yikes. Also, I am not necessarily banking on 30/hour, but hygienists do make a good living. So, minus the heat, you are happy with DFW area?
I certainly like DFW better than any place in Nebraska or Iowa

Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
We went six months last fall, winter and spring without the temperature going over 80. However, in June, July and August it's hot -- some might also include September but football starts and it just seems cooler!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,430 times
You would love the dfw metroplex....the best spot to relocate in the country in my opinion.Search these threads,we did when we moved from Greenwich,ct...they were a huge help!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:16 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor03 View Post
If you're averse to high humidity, then you may want to drop Houston from your list of potential TX cities. It's got a lot going for it, but the humidity can be extremely opressive in the summer. DFW is going to be a bit hotter, but also drier. Yes, it's oven-like during August & July.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Honestly...if you are outdoorsy...Austin is probably a better fit. No idea what the job market is like for dental hygienists there, though.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
I prefer Dallas over Austin and Houston. Austin is a bit too small townish for me. I love how big DFW is and the flashy exciting vibe compared to the other Texas cities.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
If you're averse to high humidity, then you may want to drop Houston from your list of potential TX cities. It's got a lot going for it, but the humidity can be extremely opressive in the summer. DFW is going to be a bit hotter, but also drier. Yes, it's oven-like during August & July.
The differences in humidity are highly over exaggerated IMO.

Houston is only slightly more humid than Dallas & Austin is darn near as humid as Houston.

A drastic decrease in humidity doesn't start becoming apparent till you're well west of the I-35 corridor & north of the Red River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas