Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I posted this here because it is somewhat of a debated topic.Before I joined this forum, I lurked for advice before moving to Texas.It seems that many Dallas posters have no problem ripping Collin/Denton county suburbs and driving home how they are so far out with little access to amenities and housing that is not "authentic".
This is unfortunately true. I always try to declare myself openly when giving advice. I would never live in a suburb again.... but that is me, I don't try and insist that everyone should have this view. A lot of it is in the way people write.
As for amenities, I think it is fair to point out that Dallas does have many amenities the suburbs and exurbs do not. We have a zoo, we have the arboretum, we have a vibrant Theatre scene, a number of museums and a symphony for instance. Now these things don't matter as much as bigger homes for less money, a slower pace of life, and closer access to truly rural areas. Which is just fine, but it is air to point out that Dallas has them and suburbs have them and exurbs do not.
It is fine to point out we have historic homes available and Plano doesn't. It is also fine to point out that the 'burbs have the ability to build your own home, and find new construction which for the most part we don't, or that your overall crime rate is lower.

Quote:
This statement is untrue and silly. I won't waste time explaining why most of us in Frisco/ Prosper/ Mc Kinney / Allen never even need to visit Dallas. When Frisco and Mc Kinney are at build out they will be the size of Lexington, Ky and Minneapolis, MN. Many of us in the northern bubs will not be clammoring to work,shop and seek entertainment only in Dallas.Yet when I bring up city of Dallas schools,crime and the way the city compensates employees who have the largest inpact on the city, I am the devil.
As I said, a lot of it is how it is brought up. If it becomes the primary topic of one's conversation it carries a different connotation. I agree most people in north CoCo or Denton county do not NEED to visit Dallas, but my friends up there do visit Dallas from time to time. Again: Zoo, symphony, etc. Certainly you have no need to come down here for shopping, or movies, or things of that nature.

I think the problem isn't when you bring up Dallas Schools, or employee compensation, or city spending priorities. It is the comparisons that don't match. DISD and the city of Dallas are different entities. Heck, I live here, love my city, and I don't think either of them are very well run. I've been and still am against the convention center hotel, the trinity project, and the bridge. i think it is perfectly fair to ask: "Why is the city having bond elections to build those, but not to fix our roads which have had funding zeroed out for years?" Likewise I think it is perfectly fair to ask: "Why is DISD having bond elections to fund cosmetic school repairs, and build new schools, but not to provide funds to keep schools open, and pay/hire teachers?" But it isn't fair to ask: "Why is DISD cutting teachers, increasing unpaid work hours, and closing schools, while the City of Dallas builds bridges?" That is like asking: "Why is the Federal government cutting the Military budget while The City of Dallas builds bridges?" They are separate governmental bodies. One may be for or against both things, but they are unrelated.

As for the size of the 'burbs, it is true, but it is also true that size would never have been reached, nor would they be economically or socially important without Dallas. Just like this is true with larger cities and their surroundings. The Home Counties wouldn't be what they are without London, Brooklyn Wouldn't matter without Manhattan, etc. That isn't to run the 'burbs down, it is just a fact of regional history.

Quote:
The moderator brings up a good point.The city of Dallas needs to flourish and it is not fair for suburbanites to poop on it. It is also silly for Dallas residents to poop on the suburbs. I personally have no investment or interest in Dallas but do understand that many read this forum who are impressionable. I will try to keep my opinions on Dallas to myself because I practically live in Oklahoma ....

The DFW metroplex as a whole is what makes this area one of the number one spots in the country to relocate to,not just Dallas or the suburbs alone.
This is the truth. I think we are all bound to let our individual preferences show through, but we should all be vigilant to keep from bashing people with the other preference. When I lived in Far North Dallas as a teen, and Then Richardson in my previous life as a telecom exec, I found the first stage of my going out to do anything was to get on 75 and drive WAY south. This made me realize living in the suburbs was not going to be for me. At the same time someone who lived here, and found themselves miserable because of a small house, and the distance to the large boating lakes, shouldn't be living here. We all need to live in the place that fits our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Tou are 100 percent right Macbeth....

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
I posted this here because it is somewhat of a debated topic.Before I joined this forum, I lurked for advice before moving to Texas.It seems that many Dallas posters have no problem ripping Collin/Denton county suburbs and driving home how they are so far out with little access to amenities and housing that is not "authentic"..
Because, those of us who live in Dallas often see that *some* people who decide to move out there are doing so because of misinformation. They are dooming themselves to long commutes, high tolls, wasting gasoline and buying new homes that will not appreciate or stand a good chance of losing value for at least a decade.

Of course, that's assuming they don't work out there...which *some* do - you won't often see me recommending Dallas for somebody who works at Legacy unless they are young and single or want something only neighborhoods in Dallas can supply.

That you are making decisions on false information is reinforced when you show a basic lack of understanding in slamming the city of Dallas by lumping together multiple independent civic entities.

Also a lot of us see a new home in the burbs as 'the easy decision' if it's not based on the erroneous scuttlebutt. Many times things in life are more rewarding when some thought, effort and a few roadblocks are involved.

It's not as prevalent these days but the original growth of some of these areas was due to white flight and the subsequent sprawl has some roots in that way of thinking.

Moreover, to someone who like me who is very proud of my hometown, neighborhood and almae matres it is seen as a rejection of the things I love dearly.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 01-30-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
The suburbs are not a good fit for everyone and neither are intown neighborhoods of Dallas .One is not better than the other.If we all had the same hobbies and wanted the same things,then one would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas