Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times

Advertisements

You will be just fine. You will probably have fewer problems the closer to the Dallas side than the Fort Worth side you get and the closer to the city rather than the suburbs or exurbs. This is, of course, a generalization, but Dallas skews center to center-left socially, and the suburbs skew right socially. Ditto Ft. Worth. This doesn't mean you won't be able to fit in, but you are likely to have to spend a little more time explaining. I got a lot more "where do you go to church?" questions in Far North Dallas/Richardson than I do here -I am not an atheist btw. My atheist friends have usually felt similarly. Actually I should say the ones in Plano and Frisco, the ones in McKinney have pointed out that it seems to be an exception to this rule. Again I don't think the suburbs will treat you badly, it will be a small minority that care... jut probably a bigger minority in the Fort Worth or suburban side than in Dallas proper. Having said that I think you would be comfortable anywhere in the metroplex you end up.

As for Libertarian. Lots of Libertarians in Dallas. In some areas of Dallas you will say electoral ballots where a Republican and a Libertarian run for office, with no democrat on the ballot. Not that the libertarian ever wins, but I don't think I have ever seen a political race here without one, which gives you some idea of the breadth and depth of support they have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,091 times
If you're tolerant or indifferent(apathetic, I suppose) to other folks, beliefs or lack there of's, it really won't matter where you lay y'alls heads at, right? Being indifferent(apathetic) as I myself am is a truly liberating place to be, for one's self....take full advantage of said apathy and try not to worry, too much! Cheers!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM

67 posts, read 107,112 times
If Muslims can survive here than I see no problem for any one else. My street has three Muslim families and no body treats them any different. I think it is more about social class than religious or irreligious affiliation.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Sh*t Dallas People Say - Things People Say From Dallas - YouTube

Apologies for the title; I have no control over that. But this video is HILARIOUS. If you think these people are jerks, then Dallas is not for you....because this IS Dallas, at least for the under-40 crowd.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest runner View Post
Hi we're 40ish, dh is product mgr, I'm a sahm w/ 2 smaller kids. We are libretarians, very casual, outdoorsy, atheists. We're the type who like to dress down in our free time. We very tolerant, if not indifferent, to others' religious political views. We've been more likely do vote republican in the past elections. But, we're concerned that because we're atheists in a strongly devoutly religious area that we won' t fit in or be ostracized.

Any thoughts? Would we be a better fit for Austin? Isn't Austin a bit more humid year round?

Thanks
I know tons of atheists, myself included, and no one cares.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Sh*t Dallas People Say - Things People Say From Dallas - YouTube

Apologies for the title; I have no control over that. But this video is HILARIOUS. If you think these people are jerks, then Dallas is not for you....because this IS Dallas, at least for the under-40 crowd.
THis was great. That was me on the bike at WRL!!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
I'm agnostic. No one cares. There are a lot of agnostic/atheists "in the closet" around here. There is an atheist kids' camp (Camp Quest) that generally is located an hour north of Dallas.

I'm also European and a vegetarian. And a social worker. I've never, ever ever had problems fitting in, but I'm really nice (I think, lol). Actually, I have to hide my non-religious beliefs from my in-law's, but they're the only ones I've had to hide from. I don't want them kidnapping my kids and dragging them to get baptized (they would so do it).

I read an article a few years back that said Dallas was "more liberal" than Austin:

Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities

It had Dallas at #32 and Austin at #93 for "most liberal". Places like Plano and Arlington were on the top 20 list for "most conservative". My point is, it's a complete mesh of all kinds of people. I lived in southern Alabama for 3 years and that is a bible banging area. DFW is NOTHING like it.

Dallas is home to the $30k millionaires, which I find hilarious. Dallas for me has been a super laid back, friendly place. There are areas of super materialist people, and places like Fort Worth have less of that, from what I've heard. I thought about Austin for a while, but I moved here first and love it.

My biggest problem with Dallas is that one of the local radio stations, 102.9, hired Khloe Kardashian for a show I don't think I listen to that station, but I would like them to not head over here when their 15 minutes of fame are finally up.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Switch out Dallas for Houston, Austin, San Antonio, New Braunfels, Philadelphia, LA, Phoenix, Seattle, Chicago, DC, the Hamptons, Miami, et al...and in any population grouping...

while it is funny...and probably more true of people in the under 30 vs 40..it is just stereotyping at its best...Kevin Smith and Mike Judge clones making it

I know people who make those comments but not more than two in a conversation...that I can handle

Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,816 times
We've lived here (except for 13 months in Georgia was I was asked FREQUENTLY by strangers where I went to church--but much more rural area) since 1997. I think the only people who have asked which church or what church we attend (we don't do church) were coworkers of my husband's. When told "we don't go to church" one was like "okay" or it didn't phase him and the other is praying for us. But he prays for everyone because no matter what church you go to, even same denomination, his belief system is it's not the right church anyway so really that's on him.

As far as dressing down...I don't think you'll have a problem. It wasn't until a recent wedding I realized I had not bought a dress or a skirt in about five years! I live in yoga pants and jeans, but I'm not really into shopping for clothes anyway.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Even back in the 1970s we elected an agnositic class president in our high school. He was the son of a 'shrink' who was known to be somewhat outspoken in that area. Even the First Baptist types voted for him.

Of course, that's East Dallas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas