Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM

291 posts, read 674,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
true i'll give you that one. but the closer you are to downtown dallas does to me seem to be worse areas. Yes I'm generalizing. I can't possibly know about every school. But I do follow the news and see DISD in the news for negative things ALL the time. Now mostly the news just shows the administration, but also you see all the crime around these areas as well. i don't have to go to every single school. I've been through the areas and seen them. I've talked to friends, co-workers and family. I see the areas in the paper.

Are there some that aren't bad sure, but in general DISD doesn't have that great of a reputation. Who cares if I'm generalizing if that is the case in most situations. guess what, there are african americans that look white. There are Ceo's that have beards and tattoos, but generally african americans are darker skinned and CEO's wear suits and ties and look nice. So is it a generalization when there are a few that break the mold?
I've lived near a couple of schools in the five years I've lived in Dallas and from reading your post, you would have thought that I would have seen several drug deals going down as well as a few drive-bys! Geez! As an FYI - I have lived in Dallas proper all 5 years, near downtown, and I have never witnessed any crimes. I've never been mugged and no one has ever tried to sell me crack. LMAO.

In regards to your attempt at rationalizing, are you saying that people with beards and tattoos don't look "nice"? Wow. Also, in case you haven't heard, women can be CEOs too and most professional women do not wear ties.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM

134 posts, read 548,462 times
sorry i know i said i was out but so hilarious. From prosper which is like 80% white people and you are bashing me for commenting on the crime in black areas. PROSPER isn't black sweetheart and is on the outskirts of dallas which yes the further you get from downtown things change. I think I already pointed that out.

beards and tattoos. Umm yes when someone has arm sleeves and a long goatee he doesn't fit the bill of a typicall CEO. Latest US and world news, sport and comment from the Guardian | guardiannews.com | The Guardian UMMMM hmmm... wow look no showing tats, no beards and guess what all in suits.

And yes there are women CEO's. Some very powerful ones at that. Sorry I left them out. I was trying to make a point that typically they fit a mold and the same goes for female CEO's. You don't see them in pony tails, short skirts with flourescent fingernail polish.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
sorry i know i said i was out but so hilarious. From prosper which is like 80% white people and you are bashing me for commenting on the crime in black areas. PROSPER isn't black sweetheart and is on the outskirts of dallas which yes the further you get from downtown things change. I think I already pointed that out.

beards and tattoos. Umm yes when someone has arm sleeves and a long goatee he doesn't fit the bill of a typicall CEO. Latest US and world news, sport and comment from the Guardian | guardiannews.com | The Guardian UMMMM hmmm... wow look no showing tats, no beards and guess what all in suits.

And yes there are women CEO's. Some very powerful ones at that. Sorry I left them out. I was trying to make a point that typically they fit a mold and the same goes for female CEO's. You don't see them in pony tails, short skirts with flourescent fingernail polish.
Not sure if you are responding to me but if you are, I never said anything about Prosper and I don't even know where Prosper is?!

If you have tats on your arms and you are wearing a suit, no one would be able to see them. Doh! You also seem to be thinking only about Fortune 100 or "old-school" type companies because there are a lot of CEOs out there who have tats and beards and even piercings!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times
You know, this guy just wants a decent school with parents who care about education. He isn't very articulate about how he puts it. I know I wouldn't want my kids to go here:

Student Teacher Ratio Alex Sanger Elementary School - Dallas, Texas - TX

It's not about the racial demo, but more about socioeconomic background. This school has 88% low income. Sorry, but I wouldn't send my child there, and I don't care if it were lily white.

Again, you white suburbanites and Highland Parkers, get off your high horse. Let's see you send your kids to most public schools in Dallas.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Quote:

What in the world?? How was I insulting you ?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
You know, this guy just wants a decent school with parents who care about education. He isn't very articulate about how he puts it. I know I wouldn't want my kids to go here:

It's not about the racial demo, but more about socioeconomic background. This school has 88% low income. Sorry, but I wouldn't send my child there, and I don't care if it were lily white.

Again, you white suburbanites and Highland Parkers, get off your high horse. Let's see you send your kids to most public schools in Dallas.
The OP specifically said that he wanted a white school so that his kids would be in the minority. Therefore, by his thinking, if there was a school near Dallas that was 60 percent Black and very high-performing, he wouldn't want his kids to be sent there because he thinks Blacks talk and dress differently (which is still making me LOL). Now, if we analyze what you are saying, you are saying that if a kid is poor, he or she must not do well in school. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM

134 posts, read 548,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
Not sure if you are responding to me but if you are, I never said anything about Prosper and I don't even know where Prosper is?!

If you have tats on your arms and you are wearing a suit, no one would be able to see them. Doh! You also seem to be thinking only about Fortune 100 or "old-school" type companies because there are a lot of CEOs out there who have tats and beards and even piercings!

Ok i'm officially an idiot. dallas proper. not prosper. I apologize. I have been staring at the screen too long. Well anyways, just because you didn't see a crime doesn't mean it didn't exist. I live in Mesquite right now right by the college and my NEXT door neighbor on one side got busted with 300+ lbs of meth and other side arrested for armed robbery. I never saw the police because I was at work. Doesn't mean it's a good neighborhood.

300 lbs of meth in Mesquite. largest single seizure in North Texas

Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Ok i'm officially an idiot. dallas proper. not prosper. I apologize. I have been staring at the screen too long. Well anyways, just because you didn't see a crime doesn't mean it didn't exist. I live in Mesquite right now right by the college and my NEXT door neighbor on one side got busted with 300+ lbs of meth and other side arrested for armed robbery. I never saw the police because I was at work. Doesn't mean it's a good neighborhood.

300 lbs of meth in Mesquite. largest single seizure in North Texas
I guess Uptown/Oak Lawn must be a really bad neighborhood...lol

Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post

He never asked about the quality of schools, nor the involvement of the parents, unless quality come whiteness is the argument. His only concern was the whiteness of the school.

He didn't ask about SES either.

My daughter will be attending a Dallas magnet, if accepted. I won't even ask about the demographics.

Not white. Not a suburbanite.

You're also overlooking the fact that some people don't have the 'choice' to not send their kids to the poor quality local school. Just saying.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
The OP specifically said that he wanted a white school so that his kids would be in the minority. Therefore, by his thinking, if there was a school near Dallas that was 60 percent Black and very high-performing, he wouldn't want his kids to be sent there because he thinks Blacks talk and dress differently (which is still making me LOL). Now, if we analyze what you are saying, you are saying that if a kid is poor, he or she must not do well in school. Correct me if I am wrong.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but yes, schools with kids from poor families perform much lower. I used to teach in a school district in Wisconsin which was completely white, but quite poor. Guess what? We had very low turn-out for parent-teacher conferences and test scores weren't as high as in the wealthy suburbs. Part of that was because of funding and part was because the parents didn't have power or interest in education. Are you going to deny that wealthy districts have better funding and parents who are more invested in education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: