Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM

267 posts, read 618,930 times

Advertisements

Hello. Made another trip and couldn't help but notice the huge glut of retail (it's good to have shopping selection). People say JoCoKS is overbuilt with retail but it's nothing close to down here. Things such as Stonebriar, Willowbend, Collin Creek, Fairview, Northpark, Galleria, Valley View, PLUS the nearby strip malls and power centers, and other random shopping centers in the Park Cities, all in an area that in jocoks (which is almost as wealthy as Dallas) has one indoor mall and one outdoor mall (that are doing any business).

Granted, there are a ton of rich people down here, but how does the area support so much retail? Is it a bubble waiting to burst? Or what else is going on?

This is not necessarily a bad thing however, as I enjoyed being able to find whatever I wanted, which can be tough up home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 399,202 times
it doesnt. are strip malls with vacant anchor spaces galore. red bird, six flags and irving malls have become glorified flea markets.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Cheap commercial space compared to many areas.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Couple of explanations:

1. There are over 6 MILLION people living in the DFW metroplex. How many live in "jokoks" (wherever that is??)

2. A mall like NorthPark Center is considered a "regional" mall, meaning people routinely travel there from other parts of Texas and also neighboring states such as Oklahoma, Louisana, and Arkansas. The # 1 customer at the downtown Dallas Neiman Marcus actually lives in Arkansas! NorthPark does over $1 B in sales each year and is home to the #1 volume Neiman Marcus and #1 volume Dillard's in those chains. It's not just the immediate neighborhoods supporting a mall like NorthPark.

3. A lot of our store are the only ones in Texas and/or the Southwest. Some examples of that are located in Highland Park Village:
*Christian Louboutin (next closest one is in Las Vegas)
*Stella McCartney (only 7 stores in the US, next closest is Chicago)
*Diane Von Fursterburg (only 9 stores in the US, next closest one is Las Vegas)
*Harry Winston (8 US stores, next closest is Chicago).
NorthPark and, to a lesser degree, WillowBend are also home to premier TX/SW exclusives.

If a socialite in your hometown is looking for a specific Louboutin shoe or the perfect Harry Winston bauble, there's a good chance she's either calling the Dallas store or flying down to shop here herself. Dallas is a MUCH larger market than just our metro area. I cannot repeat that enough for you to understand our retail market.

Taking it further (but staying true to reality), many wealthy families in Mexico and South America come to major US retail markets to shop. Houston, Miami, and Dallas all benefit from "shopping tourism."

4. It seems you only drove through the nicer parts of the metroplex, which distorts your perception of the overall retail market. Many of the lower income parts are blighted and severly lacking in retail options. I think there is only 1 Wal-Mart between I-30 and I-20 in the southern Dallas sector whereas there are probably 3+ within a 5-10 minute drive of my office in Plano. Many older malls are half-boarded up and have empty anchor stores. Irving Mall and Valley View Mall are good examples of this. People who live in these neighborhoods often have to drive to nicer neighborhoods (the ones you drove through) just to shop at a Super Target, buy back-to-school clothes for the kids, buy Christmas presents, etc. Those who live in the affluent neighborhoods in underserved sectors (ie, Kessler Park in North Oak Cliff which is south of I-30, yet full of $400k-$2M homes) drive to Uptown/ Park Cities/ NorthPark to do their shopping.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
When he says JoCoKs, he's speaking of Johnson County, Kansas (specifically Overland Park), the Collin County/Orange County/Broward-Palm Beach County of the Kansas City metro area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overland_Park,_Kansas

Last edited by TrueDat; 07-09-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Couple of explanations:

1. There are over 6 MILLION people living in the DFW metroplex. How many live in "jokoks" (wherever that is??)

2. A mall like NorthPark Center is considered a "regional" mall, meaning people routinely travel there from other parts of Texas and also neighboring states such as Oklahoma, Louisana, and Arkansas. The # 1 customer at the downtown Dallas Neiman Marcus actually lives in Arkansas! NorthPark does over $1 B in sales each year and is home to the #1 volume Neiman Marcus and #1 volume Dillard's in those chains. It's not just the immediate neighborhoods supporting a mall like NorthPark.

3. A lot of our store are the only ones in Texas and/or the Southwest. Some examples of that are located in Highland Park Village:
*Christian Louboutin (next closest one is in Las Vegas)
*Stella McCartney (only 7 stores in the US, next closest is Chicago)
*Diane Von Fursterburg (only 9 stores in the US, next closest one is Las Vegas)
*Harry Winston (8 US stores, next closest is Chicago).
NorthPark and, to a lesser degree, WillowBend are also home to premier TX/SW exclusives.

If a socialite in your hometown is looking for a specific Louboutin shoe or the perfect Harry Winston bauble, there's a good chance she's either calling the Dallas store or flying down to shop here herself. Dallas is a MUCH larger market than just our metro area. I cannot repeat that enough for you to understand our retail market.

Taking it further (but staying true to reality), many wealthy families in Mexico and South America come to major US retail markets to shop. Houston, Miami, and Dallas all benefit from "shopping tourism."

4. It seems you only drove through the nicer parts of the metroplex, which distorts your perception of the overall retail market. Many of the lower income parts are blighted and severly lacking in retail options. I think there is only 1 Wal-Mart between I-30 and I-20 in the southern Dallas sector whereas there are probably 3+ within a 5-10 minute drive of my office in Plano. Many older malls are half-boarded up and have empty anchor stores. Irving Mall and Valley View Mall are good examples of this. People who live in these neighborhoods often have to drive to nicer neighborhoods (the ones you drove through) just to shop at a Super Target, buy back-to-school clothes for the kids, buy Christmas presents, etc. Those who live in the affluent neighborhoods in underserved sectors (ie, Kessler Park in North Oak Cliff which is south of I-30, yet full of $400k-$2M homes) drive to Uptown/ Park Cities/ NorthPark to do their shopping.
All very reasonable explanations. THBS, on the "city size/regional market" issue, it has appeared to me that Dallas has more retail relative to population than Chicago, although that may be perception rather than reality. Chicago obviously is a major city that I would assume draws people from nearby areas in a way not dissimilar to Dallas.

Just saying that the OP from KC isn't the only one who's noticed a seeming overabundance of retail in Dallas, again with the caveat that it's appearance only and not driven by data.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,453 times
Just look at google earth to get a feel for how much SFH and MFH there is within 10 miles of the malls you mentioned.

As for the older malls, they lost out to the ones you mentioned and they also lost out to demographics as the areas around them have few kids. This will change.

As for areas within Dallas, the city of Dallas has a dysfunction when it comes to planning. It takes forever sometimes to get changes through.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
When he says JoCoKs, he's speaking of Johnson County, Kansas (specifically Overland Park), the Collin County/Orange County/Broward-Palm Beach County of the Kansas City metro area.

Overland Park, Kansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have friends there, it's not a huge area. I don't see how you can compare Johnson County to the whole DFW area? Maybe comparing Plano and Overland Park as far as retail would make more sense.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
All very reasonable explanations. THBS, on the "city size/regional market" issue, it has appeared to me that Dallas has more retail relative to population than Chicago, although that may be perception rather than reality. Chicago obviously is a major city that I would assume draws people from nearby areas in a way not dissimilar to Dallas.
Chicago and Illinois have their own set of problems that drive out retail and depress disposable income.

There are a number of areas in DFW that are still "underbuilt" when it comes to retail services.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Chicago and Illinois have their own set of problems that drive out retail and depress disposable income.

There are a number of areas in DFW that are still "underbuilt" when it comes to retail services.
Well, my perception (again, anecdotes and observations, not data driven) is that there seems to be more retail, especially "malls", than not just Chicago but any of the other urban areas I've lived in.

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to guess at a reason, I'd say "cheap housing in Dallas". People tend to spend most of what they earn, and if it's not going to housing then maybe more of it's going to the mall.

(Also a perception of Metroplex residents as being a bit more "consumer" oriented than some other areas, but that's just a general vibe and I have no way of backing that up with hard numbers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas