Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,671,725 times

Advertisements

Looked at potential house lots.

Bella Lago in Flower Mound - 1 acre

Vs

Estes Park in Southlake - .33 acre

Same price at approx 160-180,000.

I work in Flower Mound.

Where would you build the house and why? If you have a better suggestion, let me know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,665,454 times
I would choose Southlake. Flower mound is further from places like Whole Foods,Sprouts,Costco and major upscale shopping.We had researched suburbs for a while before deciding where to build and narrowed it do
wn to Southlake and Prosper. Prosper won due to the location near the tollway. Southlake was perfection in my opinion.Large lots,rolling hills,strict zoning.Flower mound is similar with strict zoning as well.Another thing we did not like about the Flower Mound location was having to drive on 35 and 635 to get in and out...

Flower Mound and Southlake are both great choices but Southlake comes out on top if you are spending more than $450,000 in my opinion...

Last edited by CREW747; 01-31-2012 at 10:20 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 PM

3,808 posts, read 8,692,630 times
How large a home are you planning to build? Pool?

We have a 1/3 acre with a 3600sf home and just added a very large patio on the back and still have room for a pool and plenty of grass/landscaping.

If you were leaving FM for work, I'd definitely be telling you about the traffic like Crew did. But since you don't have to leave town, it's actually not too bad. The city is very nice, VERY safe, more centrally located than Southlake and has good schools.

I'm not as familiar with Southlake, but it's coveted for a reason.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
How large a home are you planning to build? Pool?

We have a 1/3 acre with a 3600sf home and just added a very large patio on the back and still have room for a pool and plenty of grass/landscaping.
Between 4750 to 6000 sq feet is our estimate.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 PM

3,808 posts, read 8,692,630 times
Then I'd probably go with the larger lot in Southlake. Especially if you go to the higher end of that estimate. You probably need to look into the setbacks for the communities you are looking in - that will impact the size home you can actually build and may depend on the shape lot you are looking at. The Development office at either city can help.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Then I'd probably go with the larger lot in Southlake. Especially if you go to the higher end of that estimate. You probably need to look into the setbacks for the communities you are looking in - that will impact the size home you can actually build and may depend on the shape lot you are looking at. The Development office at either city can help.
I'm going to have my realtor find me some other lot prices. I really don't want to break the bank with this house and I just wanted to compare similar price lots and see what people think.

1/3 acre in SL is the same value as a 1 acre lot in FM... and it's definitely a tough choice. I think a 1/3 acre is a good size but I never thought I'd have a shot at a 1 acre lot.

In my opinion, SL is probably the place to go and it's probably the place I'm leaning towards. But the 1 acre lot is so tempting.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 AM

473 posts, read 1,193,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I would choose Southlake. Flower mound is further from places like Whole Foods,Sprouts,Costco and major upscale shopping.We had researched suburbs for a while before deciding where to build and narrowed it do
wn to Southlake and Prosper. Prosper won due to the location near the tollway. Southlake was perfection in my opinion.Large lots,rolling hills,strict zoning.Flower mound is similar with strict zoning as well.Another thing we did not like about the Flower Mound location was having to drive on 35 and 635 to get in and out...

Flower Mound and Southlake are both great choices but Southlake comes out on top if you are spending more than $450,000 in my opinion...
Which area/SD did you consider in FM? 35/635 is not the only way to get in and out. I use 1171, 121 and 114 as well. Southlake has closer access to the highway but FM is more central and the access will further ease after the completion of DFW connector project in 2013.

FM doesn't permit retail as easily as Southlake which has a higher property tax base even with its huge retail. We have Sprouts in FM and lots of major upscale shopping in FM/Highland Village but not like Southlake. And I don't want my wife to empty my wallet if the upscale shopping is next door :-) . I like Southlake's Town Center and it may be difficult for any town to replicate its success. Lakeside DFW and Riverwalk are potential development projects in FM that will offer mixed use.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
Which area/SD did you consider in FM? 35/635 is not the only way to get in and out. I use 1171, 121 and 114 as well. Southlake has closer access to the highway but FM is more central and the access will further ease after the completion of DFW connector project in 2013.
I'm confused... isn't the connector project the construction on 114/121? How does that help Flower Mound?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,794,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I'm confused... isn't the connector project the construction on 114/121? How does that help Flower Mound?
It will help FM when it's done yes but right now that project creates a mess around 35. You want to listen to adixy, what he/she said is spot on. I personally would choose FM, it's quieter, slower pace, less snootiness. I think you can't go wrong with either town really, I think it just comes down to personal preference. There is plenty of very convenient (upscale)shopping within the town of Flower Mound, as opposed to Prosper you have to drive to OTHER towns-not sure what Crew is saying there. And the future plans for Riverwalk look very promising, especially with all the medical/hospital going in there-convenient if you have kids. Also, give consideration to where you would be in Southlake, because any drive down Southlake Blvd will be equally (possibly worse) than any drive down Cross Timbers for example to the highways.

Last edited by skids929; 02-01-2012 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM

473 posts, read 1,193,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
The "DFW Connector" project will benefit a lot of mid cities. The project is ahead of schedule and the initial 8.4 miles of fully funded project basically doubles the size of the existing highways around DFW Airport.

Proposed improvements focus on the convergence of SH 114 and SH 121 between Main Street and International Parkway, the transportation corridor known locally as “The Funnel.” In addition,this project also include six other interconnected roadways in the area: FM 1709, SH 26 (Ira E. Woods Avenue), SH 360, International Parkway, IH 635, and FM 2499. These roadways are collectively referred as the “DFW Connector.”

Latest status as of Dec, 2011:
http://www.dfwconnector.com/pdfs/Mil...t%20111207.pdf

2499/International Pkwy from FM to "The Funnell" is already a 6 lane Hwy ( 3 lane each side).

How will it help FM? - Click the highlighted colors on different Highways. The improvements will ease up the access from /to FM.
DFW Connector Highway Construction Project by Northgate Constructors

You should also call /email FM Town to get the latest status on all road constructed recently completed/ in progress/ proposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas