Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM

350 posts, read 867,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas really can't insist anything...The stadium is in Arlington, Texas.... I suggest Fort Worth and Arlington form their own super bowl committee and all the major events be held in Fort Worth. Judging from Indianapolis Super Bowl Fort Worth/ Arlington could pull it off without Dallas.
Dallas is the draw. Dallas PD was who coordinated the emergency management for the last Super Bowl. Dallas is where the action is. Sundance Square is cute, but the celebrities don't want to go to Barnes and Noble and Riscky's. They want Uptown.

If Dallas would flex its muscles, refuse to host events at the Cotton Bowl, refuse to run any extra DART buses or trains (they do hold a majority on the board), refuse to make any concessions at DFW and Love, refuse to provide Dallas PD/Fire (including SWAT, Hazmat, etc), the bid would never stand a chance.

You Fort Worth people can pretend all you want, but you know that without Dallas you are Waco on the Trinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I didnt listen to all the local week before super bowl coverage in Indy however as a new resident of DFW of last year during DFW hosted SB I thought the coverage focused more on hometown stories like the Cowboys who werent in the SB. If I was a fan from another party fo the country and heard cowboy stories all the time when they werent in the game, Id question the locals sanity. Dallas is Americas team to cowboy fans only and havent been good enough recently to draw national interest like decades ago. With Houston making the playoffs this year, Dalas wasnt even Texas's team.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM

350 posts, read 867,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Dallas was not prepared to give Jerry what he wanted and the city of Arlington was. Arlington had their ducks in a row and swooped in when Dallas was clearly not ready.
I repeat. Dallas and Irving made a commitment to transit. Arlington was willing to sell the entire city down the river for Jerry. Jerry was never going to build the stadium in a town where DART could build a rail station and steal his parking revenue. Jerry promised millions of dollars in "Glorypark" development around the station. Never happened.

Dallas made the smart choice.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM

43 posts, read 55,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yeah, but Indy didn't have a larger city next door with nicer hotels than it. Those hotels in Dallas could get booked before Fort Worth's. Seriously.....the Omni or the Ritz?

The real problem is that, like hamilton said, there isn't a central city of the Metroplex. With as big as Dallas is, it continues to get punked by the suburbs around here. It's like the fat kid that kept getting picked on. Sooner or later, that fat kid has got to body slam the annoying skinny kid nagging him. I don't know if the leaders of the suburban cities are just smarter than Dallas city leaders or what.

They're more organized for sure, hard to body slam 10 guys trying to take you down even if they are annoying and skinny.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Dallas is the draw. Dallas PD was who coordinated the emergency management for the last Super Bowl. Dallas is where the action is. Sundance Square is cute, but the celebrities don't want to go to Barnes and Noble and Riscky's. They want Uptown.

If Dallas would flex its muscles, refuse to host events at the Cotton Bowl, refuse to run any extra DART buses or trains (they do hold a majority on the board), refuse to make any concessions at DFW and Love, refuse to provide Dallas PD/Fire (including SWAT, Hazmat, etc), the bid would never stand a chance.

You Fort Worth people can pretend all you want, but you know that without Dallas you are Waco on the Trinity.
I do agree there have been way too many concessions made by Dallas and Dallas facilities, although I'd tone down the vitriol a bit (just my .02 worth). Let the free market (or the closest thing to it in this situation) dictate what happens. Everyone put their best foot forward, and may the better city/venue/combination win!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
I think many people are still in denial about the location of the 2011 SB. Here's a hint - it wasn't held/played in Dallas, TX. But I think that Cowbooys Stadium in Arlington will have another SB before other marginal Sun Belt locations like ATL or Houston will simply because the Tarrant County stadium capacity is roughly 50% higher.
As far as Indy for a SB location, I've never been there but it sounds a lot like NOLA without the night-life, and people like the close proximtry/concentrattion of NOLA for the SB with its "related" activities nearby so understand the approval Indy got, plus that MidWestern city definitely lucked out big-time on their weather which was unseasonably balmy.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
The nightlife didn't compare to the Quarter, but there is a lot of it close to the stadium downtown. To give you an idea: 40 to 50 bars in Indy are closer to Lucas Oil than the nearest French Quarter bar is to the Super Dome. That figure excludes hotel bars.

That's why the media gave it raves.

It was more like a very muted (but still viable) version of the French Quarter...if you moved the Super Dome a mile closer.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplindley View Post
Most visitors assume the Dallas Cowboys play in Dallas. When Arlington decided to pay for the Dallas Cowboys stadium, Arlington forever became "Dallas" in the eyes of the country. Visitors don't care about the name of the municipality or the neighborhood. DFW is "Dallas" to visitors. I think FW'ians and Arlingtonians are in denial about that.
There are city limit signs, water towers, police cars, etc. Those are noticeable things. Not to mention all the freeways around here have signs pointing to the different suburbs. Once visitors arrive they get it, or at least the ones paying attention.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplindley View Post
When people go to a Dallas Cowboys game (or the stadium) who are from outside of the area, they only remember "Dallas" as they place they went. When someone from Prosper goes to California, they tell people they are from Dallas.

I went to Palm Beach recently. But did I really go to Palm Beach? Not for most of the trip. I arrived at the Palm Beach Airport, which is actually in the separate municipality of West Palm Beach. Then I drove to Palm Beach. Then I had a meeting in Palm Beach Gardens. Three separate municipalities. So, I tell people I went to Palm Beach.
So true! People do tend to generalize and use the name of the largest city in a metro, no matter what (unless it's germain to a specific conversation among locals). My brother & his family tell everyone they live in "West Palm", but they actually live in Lake Worth. Before that, they told everyone they lived in the "Clearlake area" of Houston, but actually had a League City address (and man, did I ever get a dirty look from sis-in-law when we ran into an acquaintance of mine and I told them they lived in League City! lol).

Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
There are city limit signs, water towers, police cars, etc. Those are noticeable things. Not to mention all the freeways around here have signs pointing to the different suburbs. Once visitors arrive they get it, or at least the ones paying attention.

And what does it matter? I can't think of another metro area anywhere where people care so much about what literal municipality they are in than in the Dallas area.

Should the stadium have been built around downtown? Absolutely. It was a huge mistake. Are the Cowboys no longer Dallas's team because their home stadium is now 16 miles away from downtown? No. They are still the Dallas Cowboys. They are not the Arlington Cowboys, the Fort Worth Cowboys, or the Tarrant County Cowboys. I'm sorry, but that is dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas