Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
why would anyone care one way or another?
It depends on what you want from an area. If you want to see job growth, new businesses, increasing tax base, new services, dynamic management and new homes, then a fast growing city might interest you.

I found the changes to Frisco exciting, and I'm glad I was able to document some of them as they happened. Generally, I morn the loss of the past, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
America's fastest-growing cities - MSN Real Estate

I'm sure the Collin County haters will be up in arms...again. #1 & #2 for fastest growing cities.
What? We're supposed to be upset that countless thousands of morons want to spend large portions of their lives in 4 wheel cells in the Central and Tollway torture chambers so they can spend the larger portion of their lives in vapid national chain McMansion neighborhoods void of trees lakes parks culture or history?

We're not upset at all. Enjoy your McMansion and your backyard. We'll keep the lake, downtown, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Fair Park, the Park Cities, and our short drives to everything.

Everything except Coco that is. But then, what's up there?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,579 times
Suburban growth doesn't bother me in the least. It happens everywhere. It's normal. It's how fast and large these suburbs are growing that I don't like. I don't see why every new suburb needs to grow to 200,000 people in 10-20 years. I don't like that there's no countryside left at all between towns and you can't tell when you leave one suburb and have entered the next. Suburbanites constantly say they hate how crowded Dallas is, and yet they become total cheerleaders every time they read their town has grown 700% in a year. Many suburbs have become as crowded on the roads, if not more, than Dallas.

Collin County can get as big as it wants. No suburb in Collin will ever replace Dallas as "the city," and I think both sides are ok with that. What scares me is 20 years from now when we're having the same conversations with Grayson, Hunt, and/or Cook Counties. At what point does it stop?

Also, would it kill a major employer to move to a south Dallas burb? If we're going to sprawl anyway, can we at least try to balance things out and start moving away from Oklahoma?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
What? We're supposed to be upset that countless thousands Moderator cut: rude want to spend large portions of their lives in 4 wheel cells in the Central and Tollway torture chambers so they can spend the larger portion of their lives in vapid national chain McMansion neighborhoods void of trees lakes parks culture or history?

We're not upset at all. Enjoy your McMansion and your backyard. We'll keep the lake, downtown, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Fair Park, the Park Cities, and our short drives to everything.

This blind hatred of Collin County pretty much shoots any credibility you may have had to bits.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:50 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Suburban growth doesn't bother me in the least. It happens everywhere. It's normal. It's how fast and large these suburbs are growing that I don't like. I don't see why every new suburb needs to grow to 200,000 people in 10-20 years. I don't like that there's no countryside left at all between towns and you can't tell when you leave one suburb and have entered the next. Suburbanites constantly say they hate how crowded Dallas is, and yet they become total cheerleaders every time they read their town has grown 700% in a year. Many suburbs have become as crowded on the roads, if not more, than Dallas.

Collin County can get as big as it wants. No suburb in Collin will ever replace Dallas as "the city," and I think both sides are ok with that. What scares me is 20 years from now when we're having the same conversations with Grayson, Hunt, and/or Cook Counties. At what point does it stop?

Also, would it kill a major employer to move to a south Dallas burb? If we're going to sprawl anyway, can we at least try to balance things out and start moving away from Oklahoma?
With the terrain if the southern part of the Dallas metro, you would think people would want to live in the bigger hills and trees than the slightly rolling treeless prairie.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I guess you haven't heard (or, aren't impressed by) Dallas' "Seeds of Change" program?

The "Dallas Observer" quotes a City official as saying,

"The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge is not only a new icon for North Texas and points beyond, but it is a beacon of hope for southern Dallas. The bridge is sending a signal to many developers that points south of the city are ripe for change and prosperity."

City Says It Hasn't Turned Its Back on Southern Dallas. And Now It Has the Website to Prove It. - Dallas News - Unfair Park

It appears to me that crime rate is the 900 lb gorilla in the room that everyone is trying to ignore.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
What? We're supposed to be upset that countless thousands of morons want to spend large portions of their lives in 4 wheel cells in the Central and Tollway torture chambers so they can spend the larger portion of their lives in vapid national chain McMansion neighborhoods void of trees lakes parks culture or history?

I hate to admit it, but you make some good points (though, you could consider what it would be like if everyone in CoCo lived in Dallas... I think you would go coocoo!), but I disagree with your characterization of CoCo culture. We do have parks, trees and history up here. Perhaps it would not be of such interest to you as it is to me, but I am far more fascinated by finding the only known surviving stone dam from the steam engine era than by any restaurant in Dallas. The first train robbery in Texas allegedly took place in Allen. We have several accounts of interaction between White settlers and Native Americans. Instead of going to a museum, I can go to the creek bank and uncover ancient fossils. And, I can go skinny dipping in the creek, because the alligators that are in the Trinity River don't usually come this far North (I did have an exciting incident up here that still makes me wonder what I really met).

Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,102,711 times
Quote:

I couldn't rep you for this post (got the 'spread it around' message), but great comment nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
I guess you haven't heard (or, aren't impressed by) Dallas' "Seeds of Change" program?

The "Dallas Observer" quotes a City official as saying,

"The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge is not only a new icon for North Texas and points beyond, but it is a beacon of hope for southern Dallas. The bridge is sending a signal to many developers that points south of the city are ripe for change and prosperity."

City Says It Hasn't Turned Its Back on Southern Dallas. And Now It Has the Website to Prove It. - Dallas News - Unfair Park

It appears to me that crime rate is the 900 lb gorilla in the room that everyone is trying to ignore.
I just want to point out that ClarenceBodiker's post mentioned "south dallas burb," not southern dallas proper, which was the focus of the Observer article. There is a difference between the two.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
I just want to point out that ClarenceBodiker's post mentioned "south dallas burb," not southern dallas proper, which was the focus of the Observer article. There is a difference between the two.
Oh, like Waxahauchie? That's a really nice town, and it's growing quickly, too. I worked out there on a project for a few weeks last Summer.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:34 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,102,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Oh, like Waxahauchie? That's a really nice town, and it's growing quickly, too. I worked out there on a project for a few weeks last Summer.
Yes, Waxahachie is an example. A lot of the southern suburbs have experienced growth over the last decade or so, not Collin County fast, but significant in proportion to their size.

Last edited by Acntx; 02-12-2012 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas