Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times

Advertisements

America's fastest-growing cities - MSN Real Estate

I'm sure the Collin County haters will be up in arms...again. #1 & #2 for fastest growing cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 PM

44 posts, read 73,335 times
I don't think being #1 or 2 is a good thing. I prefer living in a place that ain't growing so much. Just give me a small town out in the middle of nowhere and I'm happy...

What is the fascination with being in a city that is fast growing? Don't we have enough traffic, homes, apartments, etc.?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
I remember a list from the 1980's where Arlington, TX was the fastest growing city in the US. Mesquite was also in the Top 10. We were all really proud of that back then. Looking back, I'm not so sure it was a good thing.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Growth to an area can be good or bad. If a city can't cope with a large influx of people, then quality of life suffers for everyone. Traffic gets horrible if roads aren't built/widened, zoning needs to be done intelligently, with a good balance of residential/commercial in planned out areas, etc.

If a city can manage the growth crunch though, it helps raise property values and brings jobs to the area, which is always good. Even if a city doesn't manage the growth well, that's still better than a city losing people in droves. Just look at Detroit and its suburbs.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Growth to an area can be good or bad. If a city can't cope with a large influx of people, then quality of life suffers for everyone. Traffic gets horrible if roads aren't built/widened, zoning needs to be done intelligently, with a good balance of residential/commercial in planned out areas, etc.

If a city can manage the growth crunch though, it helps raise property values and brings jobs to the area, which is always good. Even if a city doesn't manage the growth well, that's still better than a city losing people in droves. Just look at Detroit and its suburbs.
EXACTLY. Businesses (that is, employers) like to see that sort of thing when looking for somewhere to locate a facility or HQ.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
The truth of the matter is much of CoCo - Plano for example has prepared for growth very well.

The only big time foul up was not plotting out neighborhoods such that more than minor numbers of cars could pass through neighborhoods easily.

I lived in CoCo for almost 20 years. Now Dallas proper and of course Dallas County. I loved CoCo I love DalCo just a little more.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Plano was held in high-regard for being well planned and prepared for growth way back in the 70's and 80's. Lots of flat land and a city administration that had enough vision certainly helped. If you want to see badly-planned suburbia, come on up here to Northern Virginia

As long as the city of Dallas has a reputation for lousy public schools, stupid politicians, and a sanctuary city for poor illegal immigrants, I don't expect the growth of Collin County stopping any time soon.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Plano was held in high-regard for being well planned and prepared for growth way back in the 70's and 80's. Lots of flat land and a city administration that had enough vision certainly helped. If you want to see badly-planned suburbia, come on up here to Northern Virginia

As long as the city of Dallas has a reputation for lousy public schools, stupid politicians, and a sanctuary city for poor illegal immigrants, I don't expect the growth of Collin County stopping any time soon.
In my mind, the worst planned burbs Ive ever seen are in the Atlanta area. Almost no planning at all in a lot of them.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
In my mind, the worst planned burbs Ive ever seen are in the Atlanta area. Almost no planning at all in a lot of them.
There are many very nice Atlanta 'burbs (landscaping and sign ordinances, etc), but the Atlanta area is the very living, breathing definition of sprawl.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Agreed. No rhyme or reason at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas