Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,276,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Well, I posted my bit because you said "under 40K is poverty". I think under 40K ain't easy, but around here, for a young single person, it's not the end of the world. ~20K....well, that's not easy, but at least if you're young and single and it's temporary....

I know that for reduced price school lunches, the cut-off for a family of 3 is ~34.5K. And at my daughter's school there are a LOT of kids who are eligible. Now THAT'S tough.

-synchronicity
I posted that bit in response to the 26k single earnings. Nation wide the proverty level is around 40k. Either way the OP is earning roughly 20k a yr which is a very tight living in Dallas. It's not impossible but I would follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM

469 posts, read 887,631 times
I lived very very tightly with 2 roommates on $32K a year when I left. We had a 3 bedroom that was $1200 split 3 ways. I also had a $360 car and insurance payment each month. I still had money to party a bit but my savings account always looked pathetic.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:11 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,217,045 times
You can only live decent on 20K if you get section 8 or have no mortgage for a single person, otherwise its near impossible. Heck even $15 to $17 an hour after taxes is rough.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,334,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
I lived very very tightly with 2 roommates on $32K a year when I left. We had a 3 bedroom that was $1200 split 3 ways. I also had a $360 car and insurance payment each month. I still had money to party a bit but my savings account always looked pathetic.
$32k is 50+% more than OP's $20k question.

Agreed that $32-37k range is prob the minimum needed to live decently and have a bit left over.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
$32k is 50+% more than OP's $20k question.

Agreed that $32-37k range is prob the minimum needed to live decently and have a bit left over.
Yeah, Im just saying that it wasn't easy on $32K so I can't imagine doing it on $20K

Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM

931 posts, read 2,137,208 times
The fact is people can live on 20,000 and be happy and than there are people who are unhappy and earn 2 million

Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,651,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
(emphasis added)

Ok, I'm not sure how helpful it is telling the OP "gee, I think it's impossible", and I don't know how helpful my post here will be, and this is really more of a response to everyone saying "you really need at least low to mid thirties to eke out a living" but FWIW....

The bolded bit above about the $360 car and and insurance payment monthly...that's the rub (I'm assuming that's CAR insurance and not medical insurance). Heck, my wife and I are currently earning...well, more than 32K/yr, and we have no car payment and our insurance on 2 cars COMBINED is under $100/month. If you're earning 32K and paying 360/month on car & insurance, then there's a reason your savings looks pathetic, and it's not because you're living "very tightly".

If you're young, healthy and single you can certainly live a perfectly respectable life on 32K/yr, and you can get by for a year or two on 20K/yr. Again, right now I'm typing this message sitting in a $635/month apartment that is certainly large enough for two people. One of our cars we purchased used at 11 years old with 89K miles - over 6 years and another 80K miles better it's still running just fine, even though it won't win any awards for aesthetics. I know a single mom of a teen who bought an even older car recently for ~$1,500. If you HAVE to have a car, that's the type of car you get when you're earning 20K. (Heck, my first car was a REAL beater purchased from friends for $500, it lasted only two years, but it got me from point a to point B in the interim). On 20K/yr you're shopping at Aldi's rather than Central Market or Whole Foods, "dining out" is the Dollar Menu at McDonald's rather than Pappadeux or Ruth's Chris, and your Major Kitchen Purchase will not be granite countertops and a Viking gas range, but rather a toaster oven on sale at Wal-Mart. So be it. You can make some darn good food in a toaster oven.

At 20K/yr, which is the what the OP is apparently earning, it's considerably more difficult than at 32K, but less so here than in other cities thanks to low housing costs. And we're not talking about a family trying to raise 2 children over many years, we're talking about one person who likely will be earning considerably more within a few years.

The one caveat to that is health. At $10/hr I'm guessing there ain't no health insurance coverage (and if there is any offered it's likely prohibitively expensive). If the OP suffers an accident or serious illness that requires hospitalization then all bets are off. But other discussions on that topic are for a different time and forum.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
(emphasis added)

Ok, I'm not sure how helpful it is telling the OP "gee, I think it's impossible", and I don't know how helpful my post here will be, and this is really more of a response to everyone saying "you really need at least low to mid thirties to eke out a living" but FWIW....

The bolded bit above about the $360 car and and insurance payment monthly...that's the rub (I'm assuming that's CAR insurance and not medical insurance). Heck, my wife and I are currently earning...well, more than 32K/yr, and we have no car payment and our insurance on 2 cars COMBINED is under $100/month. If you're earning 32K and paying 360/month on car & insurance, then there's a reason your savings looks pathetic, and it's not because you're living "very tightly".

If you're young, healthy and single you can certainly live a perfectly respectable life on 32K/yr, and you can get by for a year or two on 20K/yr. Again, right now I'm typing this message sitting in a $635/month apartment that is certainly large enough for two people. One of our cars we purchased used at 11 years old with 89K miles - over 6 years and another 80K miles better it's still running just fine, even though it won't win any awards for aesthetics. I know a single mom of a teen who bought an even older car recently for ~$1,500. If you HAVE to have a car, that's the type of car you get when you're earning 20K. (Heck, my first car was a REAL beater purchased from friends for $500, it lasted only two years, but it got me from point a to point B in the interim). On 20K/yr you're shopping at Aldi's rather than Central Market or Whole Foods, "dining out" is the Dollar Menu at McDonald's rather than Pappadeux or Ruth's Chris, and your Major Kitchen Purchase will not be granite countertops and a Viking gas range, but rather a toaster oven on sale at Wal-Mart. So be it. You can make some darn good food in a toaster oven.

At 20K/yr, which is the what the OP is apparently earning, it's considerably more difficult than at 32K, but less so here than in other cities thanks to low housing costs. And we're not talking about a family trying to raise 2 children over many years, we're talking about one person who likely will be earning considerably more within a few years.

The one caveat to that is health. At $10/hr I'm guessing there ain't no health insurance coverage (and if there is any offered it's likely prohibitively expensive). If the OP suffers an accident or serious illness that requires hospitalization then all bets are off. But other discussions on that topic are for a different time and forum.
Well, as I said before. I did it. My car was a 2007 Honda Accord. Before that I had a 2003 Jetta that broke down all the time. I then went 6 mos carless. I decided that it was important to me to have a reliable car which cost more. I also said I had roommates so that $1200 was split between 3 people, but our bills were probably a little more than average. I'm not sure how old you are, but it is a little pricier to start off a new life on your own in the 2000's. We now have other bills that weren't around 10-15 years ago (and who ever says internet and cell phone are not needed in 2012 is full of ****). Gas prices and rent prices have increased dramatically while working wages haven't increased much in the past 20 years.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM

931 posts, read 2,137,208 times
My Brother is a disabled Veteran and he lives ok on 1100 a month by himself. If he wants something he saves up for it. He does get free health care if you want someone who is training to do it for you.

Last edited by Pete53FR; 02-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Fix a typo

Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,709,148 times
As married colleges students many, many years ago weekly we bought a 10 lb. bag of potatoes, a couple of dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, peanut butter, oatmeal, tuna, milk, macaroni, bread, carrots, canned green beans & peas, a chicken and a few lbs. of ground beef. We ate our meals at home and packed lunch. We had so many versions of recipes with just those ingredients. We ate lots of waffles & pancakes, lots of baked,mashed & hash brown potatoes! I made all kinds of loaf breads and biscuits!

Last edited by Squirl; 02-22-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas