Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageman24 View Post
Hi, I will be moving to Dallas from Michigan. Lakewood, next to White Rock Lake.

Some things people are trying to scare me with so to say...

The bugs, scropio's etc. are they that bad? do they live in your apt no matter what. I already decided to have them bug bomb before I move in. But I have a heart condition and infections are no good. so how likely is it that i get bitten by a scorpio in my apt?

The heat, is it so bad that you can't go out for weeks at a time? by go out i mean just enjoy the outside weather. I can say that in northern lower michigan i don't hang outside during the winters at all, so not like this would be much different.

That's it for now. Thanks guys!
The scorpios aren't nearly as bad as the Gemini's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageman24 View Post
Hi, I will be moving to Dallas from Michigan. Lakewood, next to White Rock Lake.

Some things people are trying to scare me with so to say...

The bugs, scropio's etc. are they that bad? do they live in your apt no matter what. I already decided to have them bug bomb before I move in. But I have a heart condition and infections are no good. so how likely is it that i get bitten by a scorpio in my apt?

The heat, is it so bad that you can't go out for weeks at a time? by go out i mean just enjoy the outside weather. I can say that in northern lower michigan i don't hang outside during the winters at all, so not like this would be much different.

That's it for now. Thanks guys!
I've never seen a scorpion in the Dallas area. I saw them on occasion when I lived in San Antonio, but that is 4hours south and a completely different environment. The only thing you may have to worry about is roaches, since you will be near the water. Other than that, mosquitos are the biggest problem in Texas... and this year will probably be worse because of the mild winter.

As for the heat, I went out for walks through downtown when it was 110 out and i still don't say its unbearable. Playing sports would be a different story. . Luckily the humidity here isn't all that bad... although my comparisons are from living in South Texas (Houston area). Just stay hydrated,take brakes and wear sun screen if you plan on pro-longed periods of exposure.

The weather all really depends on your personal tolerance level than anything though.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM

58 posts, read 109,442 times
Yeah I'll take Dallas' weather over northern lower Michigan's weather any day. I literally spend months without outdoor activities. Before you judge me, it's because the cold is hard on my body because of my circulation due to my heart condition. Of course like I said earlier I'm getting it fixed. But I fell in love with Dallas and I'm a early bird so running/ jogging early in the mornings sounds very appealing to me. Especially since I'll be able to do it year round! Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
Even during hottest heat wave I go out in morning and after sunset to do errands and chores. At least Dallas has dry heat so not as bad as Houston by long shot.

Air Conditioning knocks the edge off and I think most people rateher have Dallas weather than say Chicago

Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM

58 posts, read 109,442 times
So from what I can gather, the weather is awesome 9 months out of the year, and bearable for the other 3. I'll take that over Michigan's 3-5 good months out of the year anyday!! Good thing for me I am an early bird so I will get my exercise in bright and early in the summer months.

And I can handle a few roaches. I lived in Detroit lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 PM

74 posts, read 237,775 times
Default Dallas are info on bugs and scorpions

scorpions are not bad around white rock lake are anywhere within the Dallas metro area. you have to travel 3 hours or more west into the Texas Plains/Deserts to see Scorpions. Also the Bugs are not any worse than anywhere else.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times
Texas is much better than Michigan, but than again...that's not saying much!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
scorpions are not bad around white rock lake are anywhere within the Dallas metro area. you have to travel 3 hours or more west into the Texas Plains/Deserts to see Scorpions. Also the Bugs are not any worse than anywhere else.
There are tons of scorpions around Athens just 90 minutes to the SE of here. Ask my wife!

We used to put out sticky traps every week at our weekend place there. New ones every week. They love the sandy soil there. Once I was lying in bed and saw a tiny black dot on the ceiling....yep, a tiny baby one ready to fall on us.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchris386 View Post
Luckily the humidity here isn't all that bad... although my comparisons are from living in South Texas (Houston area). Just stay hydrated,take brakes and wear sun screen if you plan on pro-longed periods of exposure.
Amen to that!!! The humidity is horrid in Houston and to me it feels much, much hotter because of it.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM

490 posts, read 650,188 times
Stumbled into this thread and wanted to jive in. I am a lifelong Texan and some of your questions depend on where you live. I live in Dallas but grew up in a small East Texas town. I have not seen a scorpion since I was a kid, maybe 30 years or more. Mosquitoes are abundant if it rains a lot in the Spring and Summer. Snakes? If you are out in the country on farms and the like then yes you will find snakes and some are dangerous. I have never seen a snake in the city of Dallas itself.
The heat? That's the main enemy. I HATE the Summers here as I have gotten older. It is relentless and if you are not careful can be very dangerous. Just take care of yourself and you will survive just fine and that first Fall cool snap will feel like paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas