Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,629,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbak View Post
Thanks Squirl. I am looking for rent (at least few years)
My kid is too young for schools (2.5) so i will need more like a day care or a kinder garden. Are these as well public/private?

Thanks!
Alex.
Oh, of course! I should have read your subject line more carefully.
Our public school system offers Kindergarten for children who are age 5 before September 1st, I believe. Pre-K/day care is private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM

662 posts, read 1,446,527 times
The Israelis aren't living down in Preston Forest. Most Israelis are living north of 635/LBJ in either the Richardson school district or Plano. There are some great Jewish preschools which you might prefer. My Israeli husband and I aren't at all orthodox. My husband's sister is a kibbutznik, but the nice thing about a Jewish preschool is your child will at least get some feeling for the holidays.

I lived in Israel for seven years and my kids went to gan there. It can be very depressing during Jewish holidays here if you don't have a support network and having a Jewish preschool helps. You will meet other Israelis and Jews with whom you can share the holidays. Unlike Israel, you won't even realize there is a holiday here. I literally don't know when Tu b'Shvat is anymore because my kids are older.

Here are some possible choices for preschool.
The JCC, which is in north Dallas, but it's very far to drive everyday if you're living in Plano
Temple Emmanuel, as mentioned, again very far if you are north.
Beth Torah in Richardson--I sent my daughter there after the JCC north in Plano was closed--great school
Solomon Shecter in Far North Dallas--great school but short hours
Congregation Anshai Torah in Plano also has an excellent preschool

There is also a very nice group called Cafe Israel. I helped found it with a couple of other people. I no longer live in Dallas, but this group will be great for your whole family--especially for your wife if she isn't working. It is a group that organizes fun activities for Israelis and will be a great way to meet people. Cafe Israel Homepage

I'm American, so most of my friends are American, but I loved keeping an Israeli connection for my family. While living in Israel, I know I cherished having English speaking friends in addition to my Israeli friends. That way when you want to complain about cultural differences you have someone who can understand.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,018 times
There are rental houses in zip code 75225. Between northwest highway & royal lane, right of Hillcrest. At corner on Hillcrest & northwest highway is Temple Emanuel. Very nice place.

Agree w other posters, the area between Hillcrest and tollroad, royal and forest, is highly concentrated Jewish. It is the neighborhood that has a copper wire around the electricity lines??? Forgive me, I am Christian, but lived in the surrounding neighborhood. I can't remember the actual term.

It's a very loving, warm neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM

383 posts, read 730,654 times
DFW is literally crawling with jewish people so that should not be a factor for you. Irving would be the cheapest and closest option for you.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-25-2012 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: corrected

Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownowltwins View Post
There are rental houses in zip code 75225. Between northwest highway & royal lane, right of Hillcrest. At corner on Hillcrest & northwest highway is Temple Emanuel. Very nice place.

Agree w other posters, the area between Hillcrest and tollroad, royal and forest, is highly concentrated Jewish. It is the neighborhood that has a copper wire around the electricity lines??? Forgive me, I am Christian, but lived in the surrounding neighborhood. I can't remember the actual term.

It's a very loving, warm neighborhood.
You're thinking of Melshire Estates, which is an eruv.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: corrected offensive referred to term

Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 AM

574 posts, read 1,473,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
The Israelis aren't living down in Preston Forest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownowltwins View Post
Agree w other posters, the area between Hillcrest and tollroad, royal and forest, is highly concentrated Jewish.
We met the nicest Jewish gentleman at the Radio Shack in Preston Royal. He told us there are a lot of Jewish families in Preston Hollow.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM

662 posts, read 1,446,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
DFW is literally crawling with jewish people so that should not be a factor for you. Irving would be the cheapest and closest option for you.

Nice metaphor. Jewish isn't the same as Israeli. He isn't orthodox, so he sure as heck doesn't want to live in the eruv with the ultra orthodox. He wants to live with the mostly secular Israelis north of 635 in Richardson or Plano.

Irving, by all means, would not be the place for him to live.

I can't believe you said, "literally crawling" as if we are cockroaches. Secondly, the percentage of Jews living in DFW is less than 2%, so that's crawling?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 AM

383 posts, read 730,654 times
Quote:
I can't believe you said, "literally crawling" as if we are cockroaches.
Of course you can't. If I said that North Texas is "literally flooded" with SUVs you would think I was invoking the Tsunami and the Fukushima disaster.

Quite ridiculous.

Quote:
Secondly, the percentage of Jews living in DFW is less than 2%, so that's crawling?
2%? I would have said it was higher but whatever.

Richardson, Plano, Irving - there wouldn't be much in it IMO. He'd be best to have a look in person.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,629,592 times
Quote:
Nice metaphor. Jewish isn't the same as Israeli. He isn't orthodox, so he sure as heck doesn't want to live in the eruv with the ultra orthodox. He wants to live with the mostly secular Israelis north of 635 in Richardson or Plano.

Irving, by all means, would not be the place for him to live.

I can't believe you said, "literally crawling" as if we are cockroaches. Secondly, the percentage of Jews living in DFW is less than 2%, so that's crawling?
Well, there's a few of us in the tribe here in Irving!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,952,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Well, there's a few of us in the tribe here in Irving!
Count me in, Irving's a great area and actually has a very highly desirable school district.

OP... just a note. Lease homes are in very big demand and there is a shortage right now of good homes to lease in many areas. Whether it is apartments or a home, occupancy rates are at an all time high.

There is a ton of people moving here (many areas) who are leasing and it's driven up the prices and created a bit of a shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas