Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM

59 posts, read 109,820 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone that attends this church? I think I'm going to check it out this weekend. Is the service more traditional or contemporary? A co-worker suggested Christ the King Church on Preston Rd, but I'd rather find a parish on this side of town. Any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,532,822 times
We attend. It is very traditional, but not in the ultra-conservative-we-wish-the-Latin-mass-was-back type way. It does have a Communion rail--hadn't seen one of those before! Overall, we like it and it is a nice community. The 7:30 pm Sunday mass is a lifesaver.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,426,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
We attend. It is very traditional, but not in the ultra-conservative-we-wish-the-Latin-mass-was-back type way. It does have a Communion rail--hadn't seen one of those before! Overall, we like it and it is a nice community. The 7:30 pm Sunday mass is a lifesaver.
This makes me smile, in a goo way. . As an Episcopalian it is funny how we often retain more of the formalized parts of ritual than Roman Catholics do. I have a very close friend who attends St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic, and we attend St. Thomas Episcopal over on Inwood. We still chant the liturgy, use incense as often as not, and chant Psalms, and MY St. Thomas was the first Episcopal church I went to without a Communion Rail, yet people always think her church must be the one that is following the stricter more old fashioned rituals. Ah Perception vs reality.

I have never been myself - though my son has sometimes after staying over at his friends house Saturday Night - but any Catholic friend I have who has tried attending there, has made it their home parish. They also do a whole lot with and for the Community. So I hear nothing but wonderful things.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,060,528 times
And we use their church hall for Join Woodrow Wilson For a Texas Hold'em Poker Tournament and Social - Lakewood iReporter - Reader Submitted Stories - Lakewood, Texas - this was last night. I think we have had three poker tournaments there in the last year or so.

Even though I am a Baptist (Wilshire) I have attended Christmas Midnight Mass there many times -- not to mention many weddings and funerals. It's very much a part of the community. There is a meeting there in a couple of weeks in the auditorium for the city of Dallas bond issue.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM

931 posts, read 2,128,392 times
One of my favorite Churches a great place to become part of a community

Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I thougt it was ok, but feel I'll have to go back again. I went to the 11:00 service. I was surprised by how noisy it was. People strolling in late, crying babies. The kid next to me was snoring. I could barely hear the priest talk. It was quite nerve wrecking. I'm going to the 9am service this upcoming Sunday and see how that goes.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM

305 posts, read 475,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowngirl70 View Post
I thougt it was ok, but feel I'll have to go back again. I went to the 11:00 service. I was surprised by how noisy it was. People strolling in late, crying babies. The kid next to me was snoring. I could barely hear the priest talk. It was quite nerve wrecking. I'm going to the 9am service this upcoming Sunday and see how that goes.
The 11am service is the most crowded, and has the most families with the aforementioned crying/inattentive children. The earlier or later masses are better in that regard.

Also, get there earlier and sit closer to the front, all the families gravitate to the back so their kids don't bother childfree people.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Since it's an older building with no cry rooms it can get a little noisy. My husband took our baby to the foyer and I could hear her crying all the way at the front with the doors to the Church closed! Granted, it wasn't loud, but it shows how the Church echos. Just something to deal with, I guess. Try the evening masses. Much quieter. The 5pm mass is always quick and the 7:30 pm mass is always on the less full side.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Has anyone attended Holy Trinity in Oaklawn?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Has anyone attended Holy Trinity in Oaklawn?
Yup, we bounced between Holy Trinity and St. Thomas for a few weeks before making our decision. We really liked them both honestly...we just ended up going to St. Thomas' 7:30 mass so often that it seemed like the best fit.

Holy Trinity does seem to have more childless young couples/young professional singles vs the large amount of families at St. Thomas, but these groups certainly do not define either church. Also, Holy Trinity's Sunday evening mass is more contemporary music-wise...it's geared towards the younger set.

We also really liked St. Patrick's in Lake Highlands if you are willing to drive a little more.

All three churches have a great community--you will not go wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: