Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,233 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for recommendation for a primary care physician who tends to be more conservative when prescribing medications. Our current doctor is marvellous but in the past few years I've realised that any health problem is answered by the band aid of medication. A sniffle, cough or slight fever instantly qualifies for antibiotics and everyone on the planet should be on statins.
Anyway, I really want to find a doctor who has a little faith in the human body and it's ability to heal itself without an instant pouring on of chemicals, who hesitates just a little before throwing anti biotics at you and - well, someone who isn't riding the medication bandwagon roughshod over her patients.
so, any recommendations for people in the north dallas area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
Have you read the Dr. Oz books, "You: The Owner's Manual" or "You: Staying Young"? My doctor suggested these books and I knew she was the right doctor for me. She's not a Naturopathic doctor per se, but pretty close. (Naturopathics believe that the human body has an innate healing ability. Naturopathic doctors (NDs) teach their patients to use diet, exercise, lifestyle changes and natural therapies to enhance their bodies’ ability to ward off and combat disease.)

Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
See a DO instead of an MD.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Try to find a doctor who trained in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa. They tend to throw fewer prescriptions at you.

My GP is South African.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
Not my thing, but I'm also going to second the recommendation for a DO or naturopath. It sounds like that's more up your alley.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times
I find it interesting that there are still people out there who don't want meds as a quick fix-it for their ailments.

My experience from my practice is that if I don't prescribe an antibiotic, customer service numbers go down, regardless of how much I educate the patient. The vast majority want a quick fix-it for every illness, even if studies show that conservative measures are just as effective.

I believe the human body is very much like a cockroach - tough to kill and very resilient.

In reality, we really don't need much of the medicines out there...

Good luck in your search for a more conservative doctor. I think if you're up front with a doctor that you are less into medicines, most will accommodate your request and will hold off on over-prescribing. Most of us believe that most patients want a quick fix and so we comply.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 PM

205 posts, read 279,277 times
you could see me..... hahahaha

i hate prescribing medicine

Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 PM

32 posts, read 54,393 times
When you are ill, you must always go to the doctor because he has to earn a living. The doctor will prescribe medicines and you must buy them, because the druggist has got to live too. But you must never take those medicines because you also have to live!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,498 times
So.... don't go to the doctor. If you don't think you're sick enough to be on meds, why go??

Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,233 times
Thanks for all your responses. I'm pursuing finding a DO and have a few names from friends that I hope to call next week.
I have had the conversation with my doctor about avoiding unnecessary medications but it has not helped. Hopefully the next physician I find will be more comfortable with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: