Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 AM

127 posts, read 259,246 times

Advertisements

Look, I've read the previous flame wars between two particular forums members about Rowlett so lets not rehash that again ok?

My wife and I just had our first Child and are bursting at the seams in our two bedroom apartment because I work at home and one of the bedrooms is "the office" so we need more space.

We first wanted to move to Rockwall because my inlaws live there and the mother-in-law is going to be daycare for the baby so my wife and go back to part time work. So being in or close to Rockwall was the key location consideration.

That being said most of what we found in Rockwall right now was too expensive or too old with too many issues to sink money into. So we looked the next City over and found some very affordable and not very old houses in Rowlett.

I like the neighborhoods there, they look pretty nice. It looks kind of like the suburb I pictured myself living in.

I know previously there were concerns that Rowlett was "stranded" far away from any major highway, but now that the new section of George Bush goes through I take it this is less of an issue?

Commute isn't an issue for me since i work at home (or if anything might end up renting an executive office off of 75 and George Bush), and my wife works for Richardson ISD (so moving to Rowlett instead of Rockwall would be MUCH better for the commute).

So, now that we're in 2012, whats the deal with Rowlett? Good? THings to look out for? Utilities issues? Cable? Internet? From what I've read all the schools are pretty much above board compared to Dallas ISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post

So, now that we're in 2012, whats the deal with Rowlett? Good? THings to look out for? Utilities issues? Cable? Internet? From what I've read all the schools are pretty much above board compared to Dallas ISD.
I live in Rowlett- and love it. I like the easy access to Rockwall and North Garland (Firewheel). I live in the Northern part of Rowlett. I see a good future for the city. Utilities are fine- water is expensive- but it seems to be everywhere? Cable I have had both Verizon and Time Warner - along with Direct TV (which sucked) Internet Verizon Fios is the best- I only had cable with TW. Garland ISD is a good district- my daughter goes to Rowlett HS- she wanted to go to Sachse HS but all her friends went to RHS so that is where she went. She is a senior this year. Either high school is great- I as a parent have had no issues with the teachers. My daughter has liked all of her teachers as well.

If you have any other questions PM me. I will try and help. I have been in Rowlett for over 7 years now.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 AM

222 posts, read 604,069 times
Quote:
Look, I've read the previous flame wars between two particular forums members about Rowlett so lets not rehash that again ok?

My wife and I just had our first Child and are bursting at the seams in our two bedroom apartment because I work at home and one of the bedrooms is "the office" so we need more space.

We first wanted to move to Rockwall because my inlaws live there and the mother-in-law is going to be daycare for the baby so my wife and go back to part time work. So being in or close to Rockwall was the key location consideration.

That being said most of what we found in Rockwall right now was too expensive or too old with too many issues to sink money into. So we looked the next City over and found some very affordable and not very old houses in Rowlett.

I like the neighborhoods there, they look pretty nice. It looks kind of like the suburb I pictured myself living in.

I know previously there were concerns that Rowlett was "stranded" far away from any major highway, but now that the new section of George Bush goes through I take it this is less of an issue?

Commute isn't an issue for me since i work at home (or if anything might end up renting an executive office off of 75 and George Bush), and my wife works for Richardson ISD (so moving to Rowlett instead of Rockwall would be MUCH better for the commute).

Now, this is too funny....I literally also just posted a thread asking about Rowlett at the same time. I'm considering purchasing a home there as well, and don't know a whole lot about the area. I will say that with the expansion of Bush, that makes things much easier to get to. The community I am looking in is right off of 66 and was a breeze to drive. I do have a friend who lives out there who loves it.....she's been there over 10 years. Regarding cable/internet, I now she has Verizon Fios and is happy with it. The schools in Rowlett are in Garland ISD and there you have choice of school. Garland has some good schools, I do think that the folks in the immediate areas of the schools get first dibs though.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Now, this is too funny....I literally also just posted a thread asking about Rowlett at the same time. I'm considering purchasing a home there as well, and don't know a whole lot about the area. I will say that with the expansion of Bush, that makes things much easier to get to. The community I am looking in is right off of 66 and was a breeze to drive. I do have a friend who lives out there who loves it.....she's been there over 10 years. Regarding cable/internet, I now she has Verizon Fios and is happy with it. The schools in Rowlett are in Garland ISD and there you have choice of school. Garland has some good schools, I do think that the folks in the immediate areas of the schools get first dibs though.
That is funny! Just don't buy my house ok? if the one we like suddenly wasn't available my wife would be and I would be all . We were actually looking at some communities a bit north of 66.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
I live in Rowlett and love it here. One thing to consider is the advantages of living in the part east of Dalrock Road which is in Rockwall County. LOTS of advantages to that IMO since your insurance will be a little lower, and handling all of your county related obligations is a lot less of a hassle and close by. You have the added benefit of Rockwall schools as well, which are preferred by many.

The biggest problem in the city is the inept city council (mostly in the past, hopefully). They were way to quick to spent a fortune on the tiny downtown area many years before DART rail arrived (still waiting). And the zoning laws they put in place in and around downtown basically destroyed the values in that area and have discouraged new businesses from coming in.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
That is funny! Just don't buy my house ok? if the one we like suddenly wasn't available my wife would be and I would be all . We were actually looking at some communities a bit north of 66.
'

Roughly what neigborhood?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
I am somewhat familiar with the Rockwall/Rowlett area. Check out Lakeshore Estates and Waterview. Lakeshore Estates is a great value for the price.Rockwall schools, well kept sub division. Waterview is a goodoption for the ameneties like golf,tennis and water park...

Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Either Rockwall or Dallas county there is very little differance in property taxes....maybe like a few hundred dollars. Rowlett and Rockwall offer a lot to a home buyer.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Also, don't forget that the DART train opens up in Rowlett in November of this year. Another plus!!!

Here's a link with a list of the scheduled project to make Rowlett an even better place to live
Rowlett, TX - Official Website - What is Realize Rowlett 2020?

Naima

Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 PM

awesome. We love DART. Makes getting to and from the State Fair or Mavs Games easy peasy! No parking to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas