Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 24,509 times

Advertisements

I get the impression the older phases of Castle Hills are pretty diversified, but Castle Hills North appears to be almost exclusively Indian families. It was just a little unusual to see such a high concentration of one ethnicity in a relatively small neighborhood.

I like the suggestion about talking to the principal at Independence. That might help put my mind at ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler23 View Post
I like the suggestion about talking to the principal at Independence. That might help put my mind at ease.
FWIW, I've worked with quite a few Indian families and overall they are good people if you'll make the effort. Most of the time they are reserved and not outgoing but very good people.

Also, they put high value on education and the schools their kids attend. If there was a problem with the school district or school you would not be seeing what you see.

Yes, go visit the school. I think you'll like it.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM

I agree. They are generally friendly folks, just a bit concerned we might feel like outsiders, if that makes sense.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM

207 posts, read 506,457 times
FYI, we live in the vicinity of Castle Hills and from my perspective, the surrounding area has a high concentration of Asians and Indians. At my daughters school, just down the road, we are definitely among a diverse group.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 AM

59 posts, read 105,741 times
I don't think CHN has a majority of any ethnic group.

You can look at the 2010 census data that will show the ethnicity counts as of 2010. (The census bureau has no category for south Asians so they show up as "Other" which basically means that the census has no way of accounting for roughly 20% of the world's population.) CHN was much less built out at that time.

You can also go to www.dentoncad.com and do a property search from the tax rolls for CHN (put "castle hills ph vi" in the subdivision box), export it into Excel and then try to do your own count based on last names.

Also, search this forum for past discussions on this wonderful topic.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 AM

59 posts, read 105,741 times
Also, as to Independence - the campus rating is based on the TAKS tests and/or no child left behind. These ratings systems, more or less, give a school a rating based on the lowest performing group as specified by law: African-American, White, Hispanic, Asian, Economically Disadvantaged and a few others that rarely have any students. So a score for any group that is below the minimum for that subject will drop the school down a notch in ratings from where it would be ranked based on the results of all students combined. It's more complicated than this, but this is generally the methodology.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvelo View Post
I don't think CHN has a majority of any ethnic group.
Seriously? Are we talking about the same CHN? Off 121? Surrounded by powerlines, railways and Power lines? Forget some data from 2010, and forget looking for the information in tax rolls. All one has to do is browse that neighborhood and the picture is clear a the light of day.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Seriously? Are we talking about the same CHN? Off 121? Surrounded by powerlines, railways and Power lines? Forget some data from 2010, and forget looking for the information in tax rolls. All one has to do is browse that neighborhood and the picture is clear a the light of day.
Exactly right! I don't know why some people want to deny that. It is without a doubt majority Indian families who live there.

Remember I told you that before you came and saw for yourself Skids? There were several people saying otherwise but who was right?

I don't have anything against Indians but they do have a propensity for being cheap and when you have a neighborhood full of them, you will see plenty of yards that aren't taken care of, house repairs not being fixed, etc. They grew up in different/ poorer countries and it wasn't a big deal to them if their yard didn't look nice, or if their home was under power lines, or if they went forever without fixing problems with the facade, etc. Also, don't kid yourself that the HOA will notify them.. because odds are.. they will not. I've lived around here long enough to know.

Go find 10 year old neighborhoods that are majority Indian and then tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry, I'm not big on being PC. I just say it how I see it.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Exactly right! I don't know why some people want to deny that. It is without a doubt majority Indian families who live there.

Remember I told you that before you came and saw for yourself Skids? There were several people saying otherwise but who was right?

I don't have anything against Indians but they do have a propensity for being cheap and when you have a neighborhood full of them, you will see plenty of yards that aren't taken care of, house repairs not being fixed, etc. They grew up in different/ poorer countries and it wasn't a big deal to them if their yard didn't look nice, or if their home was under power lines, or if they went forever without fixing problems with the facade, etc. Also, don't kid yourself that the HOA will notify them.. because odds are.. they will not. I've lived around here long enough to know.

Go find 10 year old neighborhoods that are majority Indian and then tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry, I'm not big on being PC. I just say it how I see it.

You were spot on then, and you are spot on now..I am with you 100%. Anyone who sees it differently is in denial.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM

I appreciate the honesty. I thought seeing so many Indian families was just a fluke, but it sounds like that's just the reality of the neighborhood. I think we've decided were going to pass on CHN and look at the older phases of castle hills or Moore farm. I'm fine with diversity, but I don't want to be a minority relative to one ethnic group. I recognize not everyone shares that view, just my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas