Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times

Advertisements

I live in the first phase of CH and trust me, there's a lot for sale under $400K. We bought a HUGE house for less than $400K. Plus we are walking distance to a lot of parks, the community swimming pool and clubhouse, the Village shops, and Castle Hills Elementary. What you find in the older phases may need a bit of upgrading, but the location is much better than CHN.

That said, I know folks who live up there and they are not Indian. I think it's predominantly Indian, but not exclusively so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
This is a pretty interesting thread for several reasons.

I personally know one of the sales agents in CHN and the area is not predominantly Hindu. When I visit with them I see mostly Anglo buyers closing sales.

CHN has strict HOA rules on yard upkeep.

As for Indians in general, India is a very diverse nation with many different castes, religions, and a significant influence from the Raj.

In general, they are far more conservative than your typical American, but are also focused on academics and old-fashioned about honoring your family. That makes them great neighbors in my book.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM

126 posts, read 339,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Exactly right! I don't know why some people want to deny that. It is without a doubt majority Indian families who live there.

Remember I told you that before you came and saw for yourself Skids? There were several people saying otherwise but who was right?

I don't have anything against Indians but they do have a propensity for being cheap and when you have a neighborhood full of them, you will see plenty of yards that aren't taken care of, house repairs not being fixed, etc. They grew up in different/ poorer countries and it wasn't a big deal to them if their yard didn't look nice, or if their home was under power lines, or if they went forever without fixing problems with the facade, etc. Also, don't kid yourself that the HOA will notify them.. because odds are.. they will not. I've lived around here long enough to know.

Go find 10 year old neighborhoods that are majority Indian and then tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry, I'm not big on being PC. I just say it how I see it.
lol....talk about being ignorant and I see this post. Let me ask you a question...how do you know when you see someone that they are Indian? People from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, a few from Nepal, Malaysia, Maldives to name a few look alike. So if you intended to refer to this group, you can use South Asians. You seem the same kind that ask a Japanses guy for a good Chinese restaurant recco :-)

I have to disagree to this post. Few Indians are cheap no doubt....but not when it comes to their houses. Plano is infested with homes owned by Indians and I don't see this absurd description of yards on any of them. I live in the older phase of CH and a few of the homes owned by Indians I know are on par if not better in maintenance.

Here are a pros to consider: Houses owned by Indians are seldom foreclosed. Indian teens in your neighborhood almost are never unruly, never trash your yard, never drive their parents' cars at high speeds at night. Not one teen I have seen do this was Indian. I'd rather be beside someone with not so immaculate yard than be hit by a car.

I can understand OP's concern not to be a minority in a neighborhood, but comments overall here are stretching the truth.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
This is a pretty interesting thread for several reasons.

I personally know one of the sales agents in CHN and the area is not predominantly Hindu. When I visit with them I see mostly Anglo buyers closing sales.

CHN has strict HOA rules on yard upkeep.

As for Indians in general, India is a very diverse nation with many different castes, religions, and a significant influence from the Raj.

In general, they are far more conservative than your typical American, but are also focused on academics and old-fashioned about honoring your family. That makes them great neighbors in my book.

This.
This is the first time I've ever heard of having Indians in a neighborhood being a negative. Very hardworking, peaceful people. You could do a lot worse than having Indians for neighbors let me assure you.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times
Don't get me wrong--I really have nothing at all against having Indian neighbors. To me, this means the neighborhood is going to have a lot of positives. The schools are likely to be good, for one thing.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyqb View Post
lol....talk about being ignorant and I see this post. Let me ask you a question...how do you know when you see someone that they are Indian? People from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, a few from Nepal, Malaysia, Maldives to name a few look alike. So if you intended to refer to this group, you can use South Asians. You seem the same kind that ask a Japanses guy for a good Chinese restaurant recco :-)

I have to disagree to this post. Few Indians are cheap no doubt....but not when it comes to their houses. Plano is infested with homes owned by Indians and I don't see this absurd description of yards on any of them. I live in the older phase of CH and a few of the homes owned by Indians I know are on par if not better in maintenance.

Here are a pros to consider: Houses owned by Indians are seldom foreclosed. Indian teens in your neighborhood almost are never unruly, never trash your yard, never drive their parents' cars at high speeds at night. Not one teen I have seen do this was Indian. I'd rather be beside someone with not so immaculate yard than be hit by a car.

I can understand OP's concern not to be a minority in a neighborhood, but comments overall here are stretching the truth.
Have you been to CHN?

Stating someone is good to live next too because they don't get foreclosed on is really kind of silly. Like Chris Rock said, bragging "I pay my bills" or "I take care of my kids" isn't a big achievement-your supposed to do that. Just like your supposed to pay your mortgage! I expect my neighbor to live into their commitment if they can, if they can't it's a different story. I also expect my neighbor to care for their property so it doesn't detract from mine.

No one is disparaging Indians as a race so cool your jets..But most of what UFC said is true. I live in a great development and you can tell the homes with Indian people who own there. I don't think there is any malice towards our culture, they just don't know or put much value on that part of homeownership.

Me personally, I like when people take care of their yards. And no one is arguing that generally speaking they aren't quality people. So let's not get carried away.

Last edited by skids929; 03-02-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
To me, this means the neighborhood is going to have a lot of positives. The schools are likely to be good, for one thing.
How dare you generalize in that way!

But you're correct, it's a safe assumption to make.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
This.
This is the first time I've ever heard of having Indians in a neighborhood being a negative. Very hardworking, peaceful people. You could do a lot worse than having Indians for neighbors let me assure you.
You really have to take a ride through the neighborhood to appreciate what a few us are saying. Driving through you would honestly think it's majority, like 80% slanted in one direction-Indian, South Asian whatever you want to call them.

Not that there is anything wrong with them as people. I think they're great actually..One of the Indian wives in my neighborhood regularly makes me Samosa and freakin gobblem em like snack cakes. BTW, he/she keeps his yard like crap, and I still eat his food. This isn't personal or about race. Some just like a more healthy mix of folks when they're dropping $400k. But hey, thats just me and you know that already.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
You really have to take a ride through the neighborhood to appreciate what a few us are saying. Driving through you would honestly think it's majority, like 80% slanted in one direction-Indian, South Asian whatever you want to call them.

Not that there is anything wrong with them as people. I think they're great actually..One of the Indian wives in my neighborhood regularly makes me Samosa and freakin gobblem em like snack cakes. BTW, he/she keeps his yard like crap, and I still eat his food. This isn't personal or about race. Some just like a more healthy mix of folks when they're dropping $400k. But hey, thats just me and you know that already.

I wasnt trying to imply it was a racial jab. I suppose at the end of the day its all about individual taste and perspective.I've lived next to people of all races and as a result have had to put up with loud music, gunshots, shady characters hanging out all hours of day and night, police cars showing up...I've seen it all. So if the worst thing I can say about my neighbor is that his yard isnt quite up to par, I'll live with it. My two cents.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned

Moderator cut: orphaned I prefer not to have people so cheap that is negatively effects my property value and curbside appeal..And while we're being completely honest, there are alot of Indians that don't want their children around anyone but Indians. Quite common actually. IN fact I would create the argument that CHN is a perfect example of that kind of thinking, since word of mouth in the Indian Community somewhere is attracting Indian folks to that neighborhood. It's not coincidence thats for sure.. Again, my philosophy is I don't want to be outnumbered to the point I feel out of place, possibly not welcome etc. And that people can live where they want, group together etc, like CHN for Indian people. But for me, it's a deterrent to move into a place full of one singular race for obvious reasons.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-02-2012 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas