U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM

8 posts, read 18,794 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First time in these forums! I'll be moving with my family this July to live and work in Texas for at least 3 years at UT Southwestern medical center.

Already working with a realtor to find properties for rent. Based on advice from a colleague that worked at UT several years ago, and given we have small children going to school, he recommended living in the North Dallas area.

This is further away than living south of the 635, something the realtor has consistently mentioned. At this state of my life, though I'll be working like crazy, I would rather have my family live in a nice area with access to a good school than shaving 20 minutes of my daily commute.

So a couple of questions...

1) How long is the commute on an average day? Of course, though we don't have the exact address, we are looking at homes in the Richardson/Addison areas. Farmer's Branch is another option.

2) Any opportunity of taking public transportation (e.g. DART) and how long will that commute be? Texas is not know for its public transportation structure, and have heard mixed reviews of DART.

3) Is my colleague's advice (living in the North Dallas area) correct for a family with a 5 year old and a 2 year old?

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 03:05 AM

14,470 posts, read 8,831,552 times
North Dallas below 635 is very safe, here's the crime map. Dallas, TX Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Dallas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,381,230 times
I'd live as close to work as you can. The extra minutes each day add up to a lot at the end of the week in terms of sleep and time with your family. Furthermore, dropping in to work will be a lot easier.

Your best bet is to rent in the HP (Highland Park) area just East of the campus. Then the areas N of work along DNT.

However, if you are on a tight budget, then I'd start by researching DART and then plan your home search along the direct bus routes to UT SW campus. Done right, door to door would be very quick. You'd have to go to the DART site and spend some time doing some analysis.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 AM

12,737 posts, read 25,310,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy5 View Post
This is further away than living south of the 635, something the realtor has consistently mentioned. At this state of my life, though I'll be working like crazy, I would rather have my family live in a nice area with access to a good school than shaving 20 minutes of my daily commute.
The very nicest and most safe neighborhood in Dallas is in the Park Cities (towns of Highland Park & University Park), which is waaaaay south of LBJ (roughly between Lemmon & Northwest Highway, the toll road & 75). You are right- you WILL be working like crazy and having only a 10-15 min commute to UTSW from the Park Cities is going to be easier & safer on you than a 30+ min drive after a long shift. The Park Cities are beautiful, virtually crime free (some petty property crime, but violent crime / robberies/ etc are virtually unheard of), and have the best public schools in Texas.

If the Park Cities is out of your budget, consider one of the many neighborhoods with an excellent elementary school in North Dallas, south of LBJ. Your realtor can help you ID the neighborhoods, but anything zoned to Kramer Elem, Walnut Hill Elem, Preston Hollow Elem, DeGoyler Elem are all very good choices and also in safe, suburban-esque neighborhoods south of 635 and within 15-20 min to UTSW. You even have the option to commute via Inwood Road (straight shot to UTSW) and not pay for the toll road or deal with its traffic if you live in the Walnut Hill or DeGoyler Elem neighborhoods. There is NO need to cross north over 635 to find something safe for your family.

Quote:
1) How long is the commute on an average day? Of course, though we don't have the exact address, we are looking at homes in the Richardson/Addison areas. Farmer's Branch is another option.
I'd say 30-40 min depending on exact addresses.

Quote:
2) Any opportunity of taking public transportation (e.g. DART) and how long will that commute be? Texas is not know for its public transportation structure, and have heard mixed reviews of DART.
DART bus, yes- but I wouldnt recommend as it could take 60+ min to make what would be a 30 min drive!! DART rail doesn't run anywhere near the areas you're looking.

Quote:
3) Is my colleague's advice (living in the North Dallas area) correct for a family with a 5 year old and a 2 year old?
Depends. First, do you plan to use public schools? If so, scratch Addison and Farmer's Branch from your list as theirs are crummy. In Richardson, anything ultimately zoned to Richardson and JJ Pearce High Schools is a great bet. But you don't have to live so far out to find good schools.

I personally think Farmer's Branch is ugly and Addison is like living in a strip center. Richardson is lovely. But if you're seeking an idyllic, suburban family-friendly neighborhood / community to live in, there are more & better choices south of 635. Why don't you want to look south of 635?

Also, what is your budget? It's hard to recommend places without that.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 21,396,303 times
What's your budget? Make sure you know exactly which elementary school serves your area and check it out. Many, many,many elementary schools are rated Recognized and Exemplary even if the entire school district may not be (very true for Dallas, Irving, Carrollton/Farmers Branch schools) and your ONLY concern is elementary schools.

Texas Accountability Rating System

Last edited by Squirl; 03-04-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks all for the thoughtful replies.

Before continuing, we have 2 large dogs that are coming with us, so it is the 2 kids, wife, and dogs as well!

This means no apartments, only homes with a backyard - a pool would be nice

I'd be making $50-$60K per year. My parents are available to help in the first year, so this really helps.

Honestly, there is no real preference. My colleague made a suggestion, but he lived in the Dallas area many years ago. The realtor also made it clear the commute would kill me. Most of the nicer homes I have seen though, are north of the 635. So I need to continue the search.

All other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Also, thanks for the school suggestions. Though I was educated in a private, catholic school from kinder to 12th grade, there are no problems with sending my kids to a good public school. I have refined my search based on those school districts.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM

18 posts, read 29,435 times
Sure I'm aging myself here, but have you looked into the Devonshire or Bluff View areas? My husband went to med school at UT Southwestern and I worked at Parkland many years ago. We lived in the Devonshire neighborhood and it was wonderful for a family w/young kids. Also, what about the area around DeGolyer or Withers?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 5,950,058 times
Are you doing a fellowship? If so, the traffic might not be that bad if you have odd hours. You might check out Coppell, too, though if you can swing the Park Cities, that would be awesome.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Are you doing a fellowship? If so, the traffic might not be that bad if you have odd hours. You might check out Coppell, too, though if you can swing the Park Cities, that would be awesome.
I'll be doing a fellowship, but it is not one of those positions where we have to be there doing night shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabalser View Post
Sure I'm aging myself here, but have you looked into the Devonshire or Bluff View areas? My husband went to med school at UT Southwestern and I worked at Parkland many years ago. We lived in the Devonshire neighborhood and it was wonderful for a family w/young kids. Also, what about the area around DeGolyer or Withers?
None of my given property listings ahve the Devonshire of Bluff View areas, but there are some with DeGolyer and Withers area/school district. Perhaps I should include those in my list of favorites/possibilities.

These are all great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas