Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:55 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,027 times

Advertisements

I think there will also be people who want smaller homes in desirable areas. My mom and her husband know they bit off more than they could chew upkeep wise (i.e., my mom had to hire someone to help even with her DH retired) by buying big. He's a native Californian and I think *never dreamt* he could own nearly 3000 square feet of custom home...well now he can and it's a PITA for a retiree and my mom who works full time to take care of alone. They WILL BE selling their home probably in 5 years to downsize to about 1200 square feet and she would be looking for a walkable neighborhood, i.e., it doesn't need to be walking distance from say Target, but local stores and stuff. I know my husband and I plan to downsize (although we will always need a little space since we both work from home at least he does part time) after the kids are grown and out of the house--I don't want a yoyo kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Cute Home with Lots of Updates (371521)

Well they have a virtual tour of the place...wondering what you guys think?

Thanks!

James

Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 PM

15 posts, read 17,276 times
Default Make the offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Cute Home with Lots of Updates (371521)

Well they have a virtual tour of the place...wondering what you guys think?

Thanks!

James
James,

I took the virtual tour and I would make these folks an offer. This is very nice home for a single guy. Gotta love those bookshelves, though, I'll admit, I could do without the kitchen lighting. Now I know you can't judge by the cover, but the home looks well-maintained. As for resale, there will always be single people like you and I, or retirees (my parents are excellent examples of this), or a single parent who will desire a smaller home.

1200 sq. ft. is enough for me by myself since I don't care much for a lot of housework, yardwork, ect. Also, my parents sold their 2100 sq. ft. home and bought a 1000 sq. ft. home since both of them are now too old and tired for a lot of upkeep. Others have made good points as well. Lower taxes, lower utilities.

Why a single person feels the need for a 3000 sq. ft. home here is beyond me. It's almost as if the term 'starter home' doesn't exist in Dallas anymore. There is no reason to keep up with the Jones'. This is a cute house that I'd be proud to show off to my friends, especially with good decorations and furnishing, which is what you desire. I've seen some beautiful homes where the owners just ruined it with the tacky, tasteless furnishings. I'd much rather live in a smaller home with things that I like and that I think look good in my home.

Their offer is not unreasonable, though again, I don't know the homes history. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
"It's almost as if the term 'starter home' doesn't exist in Dallas anymore..."

Telll me about it

Thank you for the advice...against my realtor's advice...I was in the area scouting things out and swung by the house to show a friend and ended up chatting with the owner. It seems like he really does care for the property and really made it his own.

Thanks again !

James

Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,027 times
I think it's nice, I like that the public areas are open and bright. Looks good to me

Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
Go for it!! It looks awesome. Love that kitchen and everything is so bright and open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas