Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times

Advertisements

Ok, its 1207 but who is counting Its a 3 bedroom/2 bath with a 2 car garage on a zero lot line built in 1991.

I'm a single guy and the house is everything that I need and not a square foot more.

Right now it is priced ok...I would offer maybe 5k less than he is asking.

Anyways, its not a question if the house is good for me or not...it is. I like the fact it is cheaper to the point where I would have enough money each month to buy some decent furniture and improve the house.

My main question is how hard will it be to resell it because of it's size? The two other beds are 11X10 so rather small. I would guess the house would appeal to a single guy or a single parent.

The house is in southern lewisville if you are wondering. Anyways...thoughts?

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
OOOOHHHH that would be a HARD sell. Especially in the metroplex where everyone wants a HUGE home. That is WAY too small. I would think you would have a hard time selling it.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 PM

Yeah, I know right? Hell, I want a bigger house too! But its SOOOO hard to find a good house, not old, in a half way good neighborhood, two car garage, and under 130k. At least in the Lewisville/Flower Mound/Carrollton area.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 PM

212 posts, read 1,154,098 times
Have you considered renting until you can save up enough to afford a home that will be easier to resell? You say you want a "not old" house, but 1991 is getting in the "aging" category... By the time a house is 15 years old things start needing to be replaced, and fixtures can start to look dated. And it will be that much harder to sell in 5-10 years when it's a 20+ year old home.

The only people I can think of that wouldn't mind a home that small are single people, single parents, and retired people. I guess with the baby boomers on the verge of retiring, there might be a growing need for smaller homes, but I wouldn't bank on that if it were me...

Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
Default Tons of houses in my neighborhood

Do you have to buy in Lewisville? Over here in my neighborhood you can buy a good sized house about 2,000 sq ft for less than $130k. Ask your realtor to look in the Legends of McKinney in zip 75070. Close to shopping, exemplary schools, etc. My neighborhood is modest, but pretty and highly sought after. Our home just got an offer after being on the market for 90 days! I have friends in Stonebridge who have had their home (slightly higher price range) on the market for 9 months with no offer!!!

I highly recommend my neighborhood. Too bad we HAD to sell our home. But such is life.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Well, it's hard to tell. Yeah, for some reason, Americans want huge homes. But with the lenders tightening restrictions, the market in bad shape, and possibly a recession looming, who knows?

I've been trying to sell a 1450 sq. ft. home and haven't had any luck BUT it's because the young couples and retired folks who wanted the house couldn't get financing with the new restrictions and higher requirements. I'm having to give it back to the bank, which just kills me but I have no choice.

Big homes need a lot of care and upkeep and are expensive to heat and cool. If your home is in a great neighborhood with good schools and other amenities, perhaps there will be folks who want a nice, affordable place to live instead of a place to impress.

It's odd how families have gotten smaller but homes and cars have gotten bigger! In other countries, only the wealthy can afford something the size of a typical American home.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I will be working out of DFW...so drive time to the airport is important to me. And I have already been living in Lewisville for the past year renting....so I really like the area and am comfortable.

I could afford a house that is bigger....but it would cut into the money I could use to make the house nice. Right now all of my furniture is ... about college level quality. So, I need new furnishings...I'm 27 What do you expect. lol

Here is a link to the mls for the home...sucks there are no pictures inside...its very nice and updated.

1820 Orchard Dr , Lewisville Texas 75067 - $119,900 - DFW Real Estate Dallas, LLC (http://www.welcometodallas.com/content/NTREIS/listing.asp?listnum=10848950 - broken link)

James

Old 09-09-2007, 12:23 AM

258 posts, read 1,176,269 times
That size would attract my hubby and I. We don't plan on having kids. I'm the same age as you.
The house looks nice from the outside.

Aren't all used houses hard to sell in this area?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 AM

LOL....yes...it sure seems like it

Anyways, I think I am going to make an offer....what the hell...I am sick of living in my apartment.

James

Old 09-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, it's hard to tell. Yeah, for some reason, Americans want huge homes. But with the lenders tightening restrictions, the market in bad shape, and possibly a recession looming, who knows?

I've been trying to sell a 1450 sq. ft. home and haven't had any luck BUT it's because the young couples and retired folks who wanted the house couldn't get financing with the new restrictions and higher requirements. I'm having to give it back to the bank, which just kills me but I have no choice.

Big homes need a lot of care and upkeep and are expensive to heat and cool. If your home is in a great neighborhood with good schools and other amenities, perhaps there will be folks who want a nice, affordable place to live instead of a place to impress.

It's odd how families have gotten smaller but homes and cars have gotten bigger! In other countries, only the wealthy can afford something the size of a typical American home.
What area are you in ? Just curious....and what do you mean give it back to the bank? You are selling it to the bank? How does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas