Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I think people in the Dallas area have to worry more about our extremely mild winter, which will encourage just about every bug known to man this spring and summer. Our biggest problem is ants and not fire ants; those are easy to eliminate. It's those tiny little ants that seem to come from nowhere (can't ever find a nest), and they creep into the weep holes of your home. Nothing seems to kill them. Treat your lawns and homes early, folks.
I thought the ants that build a dirt pile up to your weep holes were fire ants. I use Amdro to control them but it needs to be fresh. If you use last year's bait they determine it's stale and don't eat it (picky picky little bastards).

Last year I suffered for the first time with crazy ants. They're the really tiny ants that run around very fast and seem to have no purpose. Helped my handyman build a deck on a neighbors house. I had to sit on the ground to put the skirt around the base. I got attacked by crazy ants and had hives all over along with a fever. Never felt any bites like you do with fire ants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You are paranoid, and by the way, every building in NYC does NOT have bed bugs!
Oh I'm pretty sure some do.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
I thought the ants that build a dirt pile up to your weep holes were fire ants. I use Amdro to control them but it needs to be fresh. If you use last year's bait they determine it's stale and don't eat it (picky picky little bastards).

Last year I suffered for the first time with crazy ants. They're the really tiny ants that run around very fast and seem to have no purpose. Helped my handyman build a deck on a neighbors house. I had to sit on the ground to put the skirt around the base. I got attacked by crazy ants and had hives all over along with a fever. Never felt any bites like you do with fire ants.
Fireants do sometimes build a nest up to the weep holes. I do not have problems controlling them. The ants I am talking about here are a different kind, and do not build visible nests above ground. I battled them last year with just about every type of bait and ant killer known to man. Nothing worked.

These MAY be acrobat ants. I've talked to my neighbor about it, and he finally called an exterminator since he couldn't kill them either. But he said the treatment only lasted a couple of months. Vile little things; they seem to come up from cracks in the soil. Treating the lawn doesn't seem to help at all.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I think people in the Dallas area have to worry more about our extremely mild winter, which will encourage just about every bug known to man this spring and summer. Our biggest problem is ants and not fire ants; those are easy to eliminate. It's those tiny little ants that seem to come from nowhere (can't ever find a nest), and they creep into the weep holes of your home. Nothing seems to kill them. Treat your lawns and homes early, folks.
If you're talking about the tiny black ants, they live in wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas