Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I guess you missed the part about "You can't get the low financing if you don't buy this."
Oh right. There's no way they can walk out and go to another dealer once that is said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I guess you missed the part about "You can't get the low financing if you don't buy this."

I bet that you sell cars on the side!!!!!
Nope, I just believe in personal responsibility on the things we do and agree to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Oh right. There's no way they can walk out and go to another dealer once that is said...
So many people just hear that $299 a month leader and aren't smart enough to ask about the details. OP finance a used car for 6 years and I'm sure it was because of that low monthly payment.

The car will be worn out in 3-4 years and they will still be making 2-3 years of car payments. Then they will want to file bankruptcy or ask for Govt help because of some evil and bad car dealer who took advantage of them.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM

28 posts, read 28,204 times
Listen to Jerry Reynolds, the car pro on the radio and only go to the dealers he recommends. In Dallas he is on WBAP.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
I don't think this problem is unique to Toyota, by any means. I've had a LOT of cars in my time. A lot.

There are pushy sales people, and sneaky financiers (some more than others) every place you go.

It comes down to studying your bill of sale with a fine-tooth comb prior to signing it, and even haggling so-called "required" administration fees, documentation fees, etc, saying "no" to unnecessary add-ons, and arriving armed with your own pre-approved financing, when possible (or better yet, walk in with cash).

If you do get suckered into an add-on, contact them to have it removed, at a pro-rated fee.

Also, swapping for a lower interest rate always come with a catch, so always ask what that catch is. If you agree to the catch to receive the lower rate, there was no trickery. It was agreed to.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 03-19-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
agree that shopping/pricing cars on the Internet is the way to go
but there is always a 3 day turnaround when you make a purchase like an auto--you have 3 days and if you change your mind in that time you can cancel the sales contract and get your money back

I think in some agencies==a deal is made to "lease out" some features--like after market options or even the finance dept to someone who pays the dealer a kickback/% of the sales the lessor makes

so there can be high motive to make lots of sales vs low oversight for professional quality

we bought our last car after doing several trips to different dealerships to drive models from various makers--I wanted Toyota Camry Hybrid but my husband was leaning to Honda or even the "new" Malibu

several of the dealerships we went to frankly were very off-putting
one of them has sales men--we drew a two-man team-- who took our car keys to give us an "appraisal" of its value by the used car manager and then could not find them when we were ready to leave--
we pretty much had to threaten to call the "authorities" i.e. the police before they "found" them...
needless to say I would not have bought a car from that dealership at any price...
I am tempted to say it was the Vandergriff Toyota off I-20 that the OP posted about--but we were also shopping Hondas and it could well have been the Vandergriff Honda--they are next to each other...

Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I think the OP was manipulated by the finance guy to sign up for things they didn't need or want.

Profit margins on vehicles at the dealer are not high, so they will try their hardest to get more from your wallet at checkout time.

It is not exclusive to Toyota dealers. I bought two Hondas at the same time from Howdy Honda (good reputation) in Austin. Great salesman. Very happy with the deal. Get to the finance guy to complete the cash transaction and it took me ten minutes to tell him I didn't want the extended warranty.

Same think happened last year at an Infiniti dealer buying a used CPO Infiniti. This guy was offensive and I almost reached the point of telling him to shove the car up his xxx.

When you get pressured like this, get out of your chair and tell them you are leaving unless they get serious and complete the transaction you thought you had negotiated. If they don't get serious, walk out.

BTW - paint protection is a fraud. It is wax and paint insurance. You should have refused to pay for the window etching since you didn't ask for it. Tire Assurance? $375 would buy two new tires. Complete waste.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
It's their job to try to up-sell you, just like waiters, cell phone sales people, etc. do. It's our job to say no (no matter how not fun it is), and read what we're signing. If it doesn't say on the paper what was agreed to, don't sign it. Period. They're looking out for them, not you. If you don't look out for you, no one else will. There's nothing wrong with saying no (coming from someone who hates saying the word, but I've learned to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas