Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM

328 posts, read 568,558 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've tried sifting through the searched threads on Allen...
Looking at a job opportunity there...and have a few questions..
1. Overall thoughts on Allen?
2. I believe it is relatively safe, is that correct?
3. High School seems good, correct?
4. Just really need an overall feel of the city..Would it be somewhere nice/safe for my teen daughter and I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM

812 posts, read 2,182,952 times
We lived in east Allen for 7 years and loved it. Lived in the Lovejoy ISD and were able to sell our house in July 2010 in one day.... the school district is that good and desirable. East Allen has some iffy areas but not horrible, west Allen is very upscale and can be expensive. All kinds of shopping and easy access to Plano and Dallas. Would recommend Allen to any family. BTW, it's very diverse too so it's not just a Lilly white suburb. Our east Allen subdivision had a whole range of folks, all friendly.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livnluv View Post
Ok, so I've tried sifting through the searched threads on Allen...
Looking at a job opportunity there...and have a few questions..
1. Overall thoughts on Allen?
2. I believe it is relatively safe, is that correct?
3. High School seems good, correct?
4. Just really need an overall feel of the city..Would it be somewhere nice/safe for my teen daughter and I?
Allen is a nice safe area with good schools. If you are working in Allen there are other choices nearby for you to consider still with a short commute. McKinney is close, Plano is as well as Frisco and Richardson. Richardson and Plano schools have a better reputation I believe but Allen is good just a very large single High School. Other expects on School can add or refer you to specific threads addressing this question as it comes up often.

Welcome to Texas if you accept the job. Where are you coming from?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 AM

328 posts, read 568,558 times
I am in Texas about 2 hours from Allen...Thanks for the info..Trying to stay very close to the employer, so would live in Allen...but just renting.
Any recommendations on nice apartments/townhomes in Allen?
The Lofts at Watters Creek are my style..but pretty pricey for an apt..Start at $1500 for a 2BR

Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM

812 posts, read 2,182,952 times
apt finders are all over DFW so you can do some searching

try craigs list too

Moderator cut: see comment

Mod Note: Use: realtor.com/rentals, rent.com or padmapper.com

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: specific real estate company site links not permitted

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM

35 posts, read 36,718 times
Stay west of 75 (Central Expressway) when looking for an apartment. Most of the nicer ones are on McDermott. There are new apts and condos behind the BofA and between McDermott and Bethany on Watters.

Overall, reading the police blotter in the local (Allen) newspaper, "crime" mostly involves petty theft and DUI's around 75, usually late at night.

I've lived in the area 8 years and prefer it to other areas of the Metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas