Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 26,398 times

Advertisements

We currently have a great PT nanny: A 20 year old college student who works mainly around her schedule to provide me with some downtime since my husband travels fairly frequently. We currently have one three year old girl and another one due at the end of this month.

I've done about as much research as I can online, but none of it is very location specific. We want to make sure we compensate our nanny well, but keep in mind that she has a lot of schedule flexibility, 2-3 years experience (1 1/2 of which is with us) and no experience with newborns.

In our situation, what might you expect to pay a PT nanny for approximately 20 hours per week?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I wouldn't pay a nanny myself but I'm pretty old school. I got down time when I got home from work, fixed supper, took the kids to activities, got baths, tidied up the house and finished up other various household chores and the kids went to bed then I got a chance to do my homework. Long days when you have a 7 year old, a child not quite 2 years old and a newborn.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 26,398 times
True - but you got to "go" to work for some variance in focus.. still very difficult, but entirely different situation.

I'm a SAHM, and Monday - Thursday with a toddler and newborn and no backup isn't going to leave me in a position to devote the best parts of me to motherhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I wouldn't pay a nanny myself but I'm pretty old school. I got down time when I got home from work, fixed supper, took the kids to activities, got baths, tidied up the house and finished up other various household chores and the kids went to bed then I got a chance to do my homework. Long days when you have a 7 year old, a child not quite 2 years old and a newborn.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 PM

653 posts, read 945,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akillian24 View Post
True - but you got to "go" to work for some variance in focus.. still very difficult, but entirely different situation.

I'm a SAHM, and Monday - Thursday with a toddler and newborn and no backup isn't going to leave me in a position to devote the best parts of me to motherhood.
Agreed. You surely need help, to have a break to keep your sanity. I'm in MD, not TX, but my co-worker does a split nanny setup with a nearby friend. Both children are less than a year old, and every other day the nanny watches the girls from one house, then the next day watches the girls from the other house. I believe, if memory serves, they pay her about $28-30k/year (divided by two since they're sharing the nanny). She works a regular M-F, 8-5. If you were going to have the nanny help with house chores, etc., of course, that number would go up.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Check Babysitters, Nannies and Nanny Services - Sittercity Babysitting for the going rates in the Dallas area.

This site is a great resource for all type of parenting info, so you may be able to contact some of the Nanny Services directly that would most likely answer your questions as well.

Best to you and yours... and you are so correct... every parent needs a break now and then... to keep from breaking!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 PM

29 posts, read 90,388 times
We pay $20/hour for an experience nanny, she is around 40 years old, since we have a 6-month old and a college kid just won't do.

For that $20/hour, every second the baby is asleep, she spends cleaning the house. I come home each day and the house looks like a model home and everything is sparkling, floors mopped, carpets vacuumed, countertops sparkling, etc.

Our previous nanny, who strictly took care of the baby and played games on her iPad when the baby was asleep, was $15/hour.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 AM

69 posts, read 121,853 times
I think considering she is going to school and this a part time job a fair price would-be 12-14 ... Keeping in mind that some would even do it for less.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
My friends in the most exclusive part of Dallas (the Park Cities) pay their nanny $17 per hour. She comes 3x a week and gets the 2 elementary school children up and dressed, feeds them breakfast and drives them to school in her own car. She then picks them up from school, does the snack & any homework, etc. with them and even gets dinner started if there are instructions/ingredients ready. She's a cash worker, meaning they don't issue 1099's or have her on payroll as an employee. Technically, if you pay a nanny directly (not thru an agency) you are supposed to either treat them as an employee or a contractor depending on the work relationship. What you describe would be more like a contractor since she can choose her own days/hours. I think Federal IRS rules are if you pay a contractor directly more than $650 a year you should issue a 1099. If that's the arrangement, she would have to pay taxes and that might impact the nanny's hourly rate demand. You may also want to discuss with your insurance agent. If the nanny falls or gets hurt in your home your normal homeowner's insurance may not cover her injury because she is a hired worker, not a visitor. But extra premium for inhome workers (caregivers, babysitters) is very inexpensive so worth getting. People playing with kids have a better chance of falling, etc.

Anyway, if your nanny is not used to working in the elite area and you are not demanding all I describe above, I would think $10 - $12 per hour is adequate.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
My friends in the most exclusive part of Dallas (the Park Cities) pay their nanny $17 per hour. She comes 3x a week and gets the 2 elementary school children up and dressed, feeds them breakfast and drives them to school. She then picks them up from school, does the snack & any homework, etc. with them and even gets dinner started if there are instructions/ingredients ready. She's a cash worker, meaning they don't issue 1099's or have her on payroll as an employee. Technically, if you pay a nanny directly (not thru an agency) you are supposed to either treat them as an employee or a contractor depending on the work relationship. What you describe would be more like a contractor since she can choose her own days/hours. I think if you pay a contractor directly more than $650 a year you should issue a 1099. If that's the arrangement, she would have to pay taxes and that might impact the nanny's hourly rate demand. You may also want to discuss with your insurance agent. If the nanny falls or gets hurt in your home your normal homeowner's insurance may not cover her injury because she is a hired worker, not a visitor. But extra premium for inhome workers (caregivers, babysitters) is very inexpensive so worth getting. People playing with kids have a better chance of falling, etc.

Anyway, if your nanny is not used to working in the elite area and you are not demanding all I describe above, I would think $10 - $12 per hour is adequate.
FWIW, what your friends are doing is illegal (guessing nanny doesn't have a green card?) and could get both them and nanny in trouble with the IRS.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
FWIW, what your friends are doing is illegal (guessing nanny doesn't have a green card?) and could get both them and nanny in trouble with the IRS.
So true! And I have told them! Nanny is college degreed middle aged married woman who is 100% US citizen and is anglo...... I am not condoning this at all, just giving info. Friends say what they do is common practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas