Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,252 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering taking a job in the Addison area and based on the houses we have seen in the internet he likes Castle Hill. We have 2 boys, 6 and 2 years old, and fully bilingual (English and Spanish). Because all the family only speaks Spanish we like to put them in a bilingual program (is a like, not a must). Budget is $450K max. Based on the other posting I’m very scared of the Castle Hill area because all of the things people are posting about minorities. We are both professionals and want to live in a place where my kids feel welcome and people doesn’t care about them been Hispanic. Also saw some postings about Independence Elementary and they are not good ones either. Please help us make a good decision for our family, is a very big step, especially for the kids.

Last edited by garnet_0121; 03-09-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times
As far as I can tell, there is no racial discrimination in Castle Hills. We are a mixed-race family and have no issues at all here.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Youll be fine in Castle Hills. I have several friends who live there who are not white (Indian and Korean) and absolutely love it.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_0121 View Post
Based on the other posting I’m very scared of the Castle Hill area because all of the things people are posting about minorities.
What was is specifically that made you "scared" from the other thread you read?

I know for a fact no one said anything that should make anyone feel scared, or uncomfortable. Yet another example of the hyper-sensitivity around ANY issue involving race in America (and ONLY America). Can't even have a healthy discussion around the demographic of a neighborhood without people getting their panties in a bunch.

That thread should have been incredibly informative for you and whether you realize it or not probably will save you ALOT of time and effort. There was nothing scary about it.

With that said CH is very diverse, CHN is not-Case closed. Doesn't mean there aren't nice people there, or hispanics, Indians or Eskimos for that matter aren't nice folks. Let's move on

Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
Default racial segregation in DFW?

I was born and raised in Chicago, which was and I think still is the most racially segregated city in America. I lived for a time in Boston, which is probably number 2. DFW has the most diverse population all over IMHO. Sure, the Park Cities and Preston Hollow might be a bit lilly white, and parts of Oak Cliff and West Dallas might be Black or Hispanic, but I've never seen suburban neighborhoods with more diversity than here.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
I was born and raised in Chicago, which was and I think still is the most racially segregated city in America. I lived for a time in Boston, which is probably number 2. DFW has the most diverse population all over IMHO. Sure, the Park Cities and Preston Hollow might be a bit lilly white, and parts of Oak Cliff and West Dallas might be Black or Hispanic, but I've never seen suburban neighborhoods with more diversity than here.
This reminded me of a study I ran across a few weeks ago:

Civic Report 66 | THE END OF THE SEGREGATED CENTURY: Racial Separation in America's Neighborhoods, 1890-2010

According to them Chicago is the most segregated large metro area in the nation and Dallas is the least.

These guys, at least, agree with what you see on the ground.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
If anything the Hispanic community is one of the most integrated into DFW. We Texans appreciate our Hispanic history and community.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:03 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
LOL.

There are trolls on every public site.

CH is a great place to live for families. Among the best, actually, in that area.

I was part of a white-black couple for a number of years and never once had an issue N of 635.

There is a large middle class and upper class of spanish speakers in the area and lots of mixed couples as well.

My wife is fluent in spanish and so are my kids.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times
ggolf's story is my story. I was raised in Chicago, which is absolutely the most racially segregated city I have ever experienced in the United States. DFW is the exact opposite of what I grew up with.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM

69 posts, read 121,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_0121 View Post
My husband is considering taking a job in the Addison area and based on the houses we have seen in the internet he likes Castle Hill. We have 2 boys, 6 and 2 years old, and fully bilingual (English and Spanish). Because all the family only speaks Spanish we like to put them in a bilingual program (is a like, not a must). Budget is $450K max. Based on the other posting I’m very scared of the Castle Hill area because all of the things people are posting about minorities. We are both professionals and want to live in a place where my kids feel welcome and people doesn’t care about them been Hispanic. Also saw some postings about Independence Elementary and they are not good ones either. Please help us make a good decision for our family, is a very big step, especially for the kids.
I grew up in Carrollton, and now live in Castle Hills, for your budget you have a lot of options, you can basically chose any school district you would like and still get into a nice home.

I loved Carrollton Schools, I would recommend any place you buy be a part of Creekview HS, that is the better school in the main part of Carrollton, I think elementary would be Kent (I work close to this school, and I would love it if my kids could go there as well) LOTS OF DIVERSITY!! From experience. Carrollton is a great place to live, low crime, diversity and reasonable cost of living. Will not get new construction in the CISD area, and may be a bit older if that is ok with your taste, prices for houses in Carrollton are very reasonable.

If you decide Lewisville, and dont want Independence, and your budget clearly allows it, look in the original phase of Castle hills, that will get you Castle Hills elementary, and Hebron HS. You do still have some new home options, if that is something you would like. I think LISD is a great district, and there is a lot of funding coming into the schools, especially the schools being funded additional dollars from Castle hills.

(FYI I would avoid Austin Waters, just my opinion didnt care for it)

Another option you have is West Plano, a quick commute to Addison on the tollway, and great schools, I think it would be best to stay in the West Plano HS area... Plano is a great place to live, you will have to buy an existing since the entire city is developed for the most part. I would really look here since it consistently ranked as a great place to live. Surprisingly depending on where your husband works in Addison this could be the closest place to live based on commute time.

I think diversity would be the same at all these school districts, if you have the time, go out to the schools and meet with the instructors.

Also hire a Realtor, from what I see, you would be best served hiring a professional and getting some insight on what you are looking for.

Remember you have to live in this house for many years, do the legwork and get to know the communities and areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas