U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 AM

31 posts, read 70,744 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are moving to Dallas and we are looking at renting a house on Mockingbird Street, does anyone have any advice about this? Is this a good area? Safe? It is a good location for us, but so hard to know what is a good idea! I appreciate any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 AM

913 posts, read 2,621,744 times
Where on Mockingbird? It is a street that spans many miles and different neighborhoods.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM

5914 Mockingbird

Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,559,660 times
I would say it's safe but you will have a lot of traffic going by. It's in the Stonewall Jackson Elementary zone (in fact I think the school is a block away) so there are many people involved in the school and the neighborhood. They are currently trying to get a zoning overlay to prevent more teardowns and McMansions.

This is the tip of a pretty expensive neighborhood (M Streets and Lakewood) so this may be one of the cheapest ways to get into the area.

Also from this location you would be able to walk many places such as Greenville Avenue or to Skillman. Also there's Kroger, Campisi's, and The Palomar and Mockingbird Station and the DART rail line just down the street. To the east is Tom Thumb and a vast number of various businesses at Hillside Village -- a little further is White Rock Lake.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM

I was told that this is considered the 'M' streets...

Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Thank you so much for such good information. I appreciate any feedback since we are not very familiar with Dallas and want to find a place to live that we enjoy and is an easy commute to work. We thought of living in a suburb, but the commute is not for us and I don't think we would like that much, being close to things is very appealing.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,559,660 times
Check out these to get a feel for the area:

Lakewood-Now.net - Dallas Texas - online community newspaper (http://lakewood-now.net - broken link)

Archives (http://advocatemag.com/archives/list_archives.php - broken link) click on Lakewood Advocate

Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 PM

Is this area the area that this house is in? Lakewood? It seems like such a nice area.
I know that there would be a lot of traffic right on Mockingbird, but is that still a nice street at that address?
How far from White Rock lake?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 PM

456 posts, read 1,928,834 times
That's a really busy street but not a bad area. I'd hate to back out of a driveway along there, however. I see where many of the neighboring houses have circular drives - and I suppose that's why. You can go to google maps (Google Maps) and get an overview of the whole area. Put it on hybrid view and you'll get a satellite image. Pan out and you'll see where White Rock Lake is located. That area's pretty convenient to things and wouldn't be a bad place to live.

And you'd be blocks from Campisi's - YUM!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:08 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,933,138 times
My wife lived on Anita street, which is very close to your area. There were some issues with smash and grabs on her street. Just don't leave stuff in your vehicles and things should be fine. It never happened to her vehicle and she had lived there for several years.

She had one completely insane neighbor that wasn't on the lease and wasn't supposed to be living there. Doing a public records search showed she had several outstanding fraud charges (and a long history of such charges). She slashed my wife's tires. Nice lady, but the property managment pressed charges and got them out of the duplex, so things were fine after that. Talk about uncalled for nastiness. She was mad at us because the front office wanted her out of the building because of her background. Go figure. We didn't get involved until the tire slashing - then the gloves came off.

Sorry for the side story.

Campisi's is awesome - their pizza is great. The traffic on Mockingbird can be pretty busy, but if it's a rental and the price is right, it's a great way to get into the area. Since it is a rental, it'll be easy to relocate after the lease is up and you know the area better.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or