Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM

307 posts, read 532,051 times

Advertisements

If you want the job you have to make a way. Years ago I was on my way to test for a job and I stopped for some gum and my car wouldn't start. I saw a guy in an old van and offered to pay him to give me a ride downtown. He agreed but on the way to town his engine started tapping. He said he was out of oil in his van and would have to walk to a station. But my time was running out. I hobbled down to the service road and started thumbing for a ride. A guy picked me up and I told him my story and he took me right to the building where I was going. A young lady I attended school with was applying too and she gave me a ride back to my car, which started up! I recently took an early retirement from that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
If you want the job you have to make a way. Years ago I was on my way to test for a job and I stopped for some gum and my car wouldn't start. I saw a guy in an old van and offered to pay him to give me a ride downtown. He agreed but on the way to town his engine started tapping. He said he was out of oil in his van and would have to walk to a station. But my time was running out. I hobbled down to the service road and started thumbing for a ride. A guy picked me up and I told him my story and he took me right to the building where I was going. A young lady I attended school with was applying too and she gave me a ride back to my car, which started up! I recently took an early retirement from that job.
Great story! I once rode a bike to work b/c during the first week my car broke down. On the way it rained.

Later, upon returning to work after 3+ years as a SAHM, first day I went to drop my son off at the daycare center (long line of cars) and I locked myself out of the car.....also in the rain! Lots of mad moms in mini vans behind me, and showed up for first day late and soaked (in a business suit)......

Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM

219 posts, read 334,140 times
I just took it to a mechanic and he said that the same part that i got fixed yesterday was put on wrong so i had to repay the mechanic to do the same job i paid somebody else to do yesterday... and now i just need an alignment and im still scared to drive it alone because of the sound its making. I only need to drive it til next thursday to get an alignment. what will happen if i dont get an alignment? im afraid a wheel is going to fall off or something. lol im so paranoid.

Quote:
Was the broken tie rod end replaced? If so, it would be driveable but feel unstable as it would be completely out of line. If a tie rod is still broken, the bottom of the wheel is somewhat disengaged at the hub and the car is basically undriveable. If it was replaced and I had an emergency I would drive it on this one trip. But a man might be more comfortable as your husband was in driving it home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
You said the guy fixed it, then all you'll need is an allignment [untill then it will feel different] BUT is safe to drive.
Quote:
It will feel funny as you said, and though the other side may need replacing, the odds are you will never have another tie rod break in your lifetime. Generally, it's just that the rubber bushings wearing out that cause the need for replacement. I'm assuming this isn't a 20 year old car that has never been taken care of and the front end is about to fall out from under it.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM

The tires will wear out really fast and of course you may have to wrestle with the steering wheel. Check the edges of the tires especially to see if the rubber is worn smooth and you can start to see the silver wirey cords. Keep your hands on the wheel at all times because it will probably pull to the left or right. Check your tires right now to be sure there is some rubber on them, it probably has been out of alignment for awhile. Wheels won't fall off, you've taken care of that problem, just get a complete front end check when you can.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM

You may have to go to a used tire shop and get a couple of 30 dollar tires for now, though those will wear quickly too. But don't get new tires until the front end problems have been resolved. Tires are really expensive these days and an out of align front end can destroy a $400.00 pair of tires in a short period of time.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM

i got a pair of brand new tires done 3 weeks ago brand new ones.

Quote:
The tires will wear out really fast and of course you may have to wrestle with the steering wheel. Check the edges of the tires especially to see if the rubber is worn smooth and you can start to see the silver wirey cords. Keep your hands on the wheel at all times because it will probably pull to the left or right. Check your tires right now to be sure there is some rubber on them, it probably has been out of alignment for awhile. Wheels won't fall off, you've taken care of that problem, just get a complete front end check when you can.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Oh boy....I'd try to get that front end straightened out pretty quick then!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM

so without an alignment its drivable just not fast and no wheels will fall off? i just really need to make it back and forth to work for a week. and first thing thursday morning it will be getting fixed.

Quote:
Oh boy....I'd try to get that front end straightened out pretty quick then!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM

If you have driven it and are comfortable with the feel of it you should be okay. Again, only you know the car's past and what was going on leading up to the problem. I don't know if anyone asked, but did you hit something recently?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
If you have driven it and are comfortable with the feel of it you should be okay. Again, only you know the car's past and what was going on leading up to the problem. I don't know if anyone asked, but did you hit something recently?

Yep, asked way back on page 3... but not answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas