Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

I am looking into buying a new home from a quality builder like Lennar, Centex, etc in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. What areas would be great place to buy for a single guy who wants to be in a decent area close to the nightlife, shopping malls, restaurants, etc. I looked into downtown Dallas but it is VERY EXPENSIVE. Then I checked other places for new homes but they are kinda far like 30 miles outside of Dallas in places like Mesquite and Forney.

Also compared to southern California it is affordable place for single professional to buy and just wondering what living in Dallas and Ft Worth is like compared to southern California. Are the bugs and weather really that bad? How is traffic? I hear its as bad as Los Angeles but since I work as a consultant I would either be out of town or working from home so not that big a concern unless I happen to head into downtown for a good dinner, shopping or clubbing.

Cheers
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Yeah, if you want a new house...and want to be downtown...its going to cost....

I guess it really depends where you work...then draw a nice balance between where you work and where you play and mix that with what you can afford.

So your working out of town? So you are going to fly out of DFW?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:18 PM

15 posts, read 17,269 times
Default More info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Hi y'all,

I am looking into buying a new home from a quality builder like Lennar, Centex, etc in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. What areas would be great place to buy for a single guy who wants to be in a decent area close to the nightlife, shopping malls, restaurants, etc. I looked into downtown Dallas but it is VERY EXPENSIVE. Then I checked other places for new homes but they are kinda far like 30 miles outside of Dallas in places like Mesquite and Forney.

Also compared to southern California it is affordable place for single professional to buy and just wondering what living in Dallas and Ft Worth is like compared to southern California. Are the bugs and weather really that bad? How is traffic? I hear its as bad as Los Angeles but since I work as a consultant I would either be out of town or working from home so not that big a concern unless I happen to head into downtown for a good dinner, shopping or clubbing.

Cheers
Scott
Well, I can't give much advice as your post is a little vague. Housing here is certainly cheaper than So. Cal. Downtown and urban living is pricy though. Like the previous post said, it depends on where you are working.

If on the north side of town, you might want to think about Addison or surrounding areas. Lots of restaurants, bars, nightlife. Mostly condos, but some nice homes around Brookhaven Country Club in Farmers Branch nearby, reasonably priced and generally well maintained. Certainly large enough for a single guy.

Traffic is similar to So. Cal. It's a little better here, except on days when there is incliment weather (like today!). Bugs, bad this year b/c of all the rain. Weather: Well, this ain't no California summer. Winters are fairly mild though. Really need some more info. on where you'll be working, what your lifestyle is like, ect. to give additional advice on where to look.

Oh, BTW, if you're looking for strictly a new home, you're going to have to look way out there for that. Yep, we're talking Forney, Anna, and pretty much any place 40 miles from downtown. This city doesn't grow up, it grows out.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 PM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
There are some places for 200k near downtown....just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Default Convenient to DFW Airport and upscale dining and nightlife

Probably a decent size home close to DFW airport and the good shopping, dining and nightclub areas. I thought of just new construction but you're right the only new construction is way out from Dallas metro areas.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Look at Coppell....that is a great location that is about halfway from DFW airport and halfway to downtown. Or Irving

Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Tough call

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Probably a decent size home close to DFW airport and the good shopping, dining and nightclub areas. I thought of just new construction but you're right the only new construction is way out from Dallas metro areas.
This a tough one b/c the airport is kind of in the middle of 'no man's land.' Certain areas of Arlington might be a good fit for you. Not too far from the airport (straight drive down 360 to 183). TONS of restaurants and I'm sure there will be more after the new Cowboys stadium opens in two years. ONE BILLION DOLLARS! (half of which is being financed by the generous residents of Arlington) Okay, so maybe Arlington isn't such a good idea.

Again, I'd say Addison. About 25 minutes from the airport, lots of dining (both casual and fine), and a ka-zillion bars. Not many nightclubs though. You'll have to go to Dallas for that. Good comedy clubs if you like that kind of thing. The Galleria is just down the Tollway, 10-15 minutes from Addison.

The only drawback is, you're looking for a home and Addison is mostly known for apts/condos/townhomes. There are some nice homes off of Marsh Ln. in Farmers Branch. Marsh is the dividing line between the two municipalities so you're pretty much right across the street from Addison. They are mostly occupied by empty nesters who take good care of their homes. It's also near Brookhaven Country Club. In fact, the green runs right through the neighborhood.

This is really about the best part of town that I can recommend that is fairly close to the airport, has lots of dining, and nightlife. All of your criteria. The condos are fairly new, but the homes are not. They are well maintained though as neighborhood associations tend to be strict here.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 PM

There is some new construction in the city. Of course not in the same amounts as the burbs. Mostly teardowns of old housing or redevelopments of commercial sites.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:51 PM

There is a neighborhood just south of beltline and marsh that has some nice houses. The only thing is that some areas don't let you park your car in front of the house. A friend of mine lived in that area and they always had to move cars to the driveway in the alley. Kind of weird I thought.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Look at Coppell....that is a great location that is about halfway from DFW airport and halfway to downtown. Or Irving
Coppell is much closer to the airport than to downtown. Additionally, it's a sort of a bedroom community. For a single guy looking for nightlife, lots of restaurants, ect., I wouldn't go with Coppell. Too family-oriented out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas