Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 PM

219 posts, read 608,935 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've looked thru some of the older commute threads but a lot date back to 2008 or 2009 and a lot can change in 3-4 years.

I just got transferred to my firm's Dallas office. We're a family of three, with a 6 month old. The office's located off the 366, so just north of the historic district, on McKinney Ave. My wife is a homemaker... for now anyway.

What we're looking for:

New/newer construction
Budget is ~$350K, worst case $400K
4 BRs, ~ 2500+ sq. ft.
Very good public schools, pref. exemplary

I'd like to keep it to a 40-45 minute commute door to door. My hours I'd say are 8-6 or so.

Our friends live down in Cedar Hill/Grand Prairie so even though we'd likely only visit on weekends, we think super far north areas (like The Colony, Murphy, and Frisco) are probably out. Obviously we'll rent first, but I'm thinking the following neighborhoods would work: Richardson, Garland, Plano, Euless, Grapevine. Any others I should consider? Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:12 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
We never say "the" 366 here in Dallas. We say Woodall Rodgers. Locals mostly use names for their streets. Hwy. 114 is Carpenter Frwy; 35E is called Stemmons Frwy. I-635 is called LBJ Frwy. However 183 is called 183 (not "the" however) and 121 is called 121 (never "the").

Less house for your money & mostly with small yards are Coppell and Valley Ranch/Las Colinas. But both have excellent elementary schools and are pretty well located.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
If your husband is downtown and you want a newer home in a good school district, in your price range he will easily be looking at a minimum 45 minute commute. (If not more)

DFW is just so big now it's almost impossible to get less of a commute time. Many times it can be 45-60 minutes depending on traffic and that's if you stay close.

Edit... I take above back. There is the part of Las Colinas that is newer and would mean a 25-30 minute commute.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:52 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Sadly, we have no new construction in Grapevine (other than a cluster of town homes and the occasional tear-down). If you are willing to consider older homes with updates, we have everything else you're looking for here.

North Euless has some new construction, but I think it's in the HEB ISD part of the city.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
We never say "the" 366 here in Dallas. We say Woodall Rodgers. Locals mostly use names for their streets. Hwy. 114 is Carpenter Frwy; 35E is called Stemmons Frwy. I-635 is called LBJ Frwy. However 183 is called 183 (not "the" however) and 121 is called 121 (never "the").

Less house for your money & mostly with small yards are Coppell and Valley Ranch/Las Colinas. But both have excellent elementary schools and are pretty well located.
I sometimes wonder if this has to do with region of Dallas or age or something. Both my wife (native) and I (non-native moved here as teen) Say 635, 183, 114, 30 and 35; however we are just as likely to say Central or 75, and we say Woodall Rodgers. Most people I know seem to say 114, 183, and 35, with an eve split on 75/central and 635/LBJ, but then I see people on TV following other patterns, and hear my parent's friends following other patterns. Someone should fund a study of this

Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 PM

219 posts, read 608,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post

Thanks for the input everyone...

Sorry, the 'the' is a holdover from our time in LA. Here, it's 'the' 10, 'the' 5, 'the' 405. I don't think anywhere else is like that.

I suppose my options open up if I'm willing to have an hour long commute? Or try to go into the office earlier and leave earlier, like leaving the house @ 7 or so?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I left the office today to make a 30 minute trip to Arlington. It took me an hour to get there.

It's just difficult if you do a normal commute during rush hour to get below the 45 minute commute time if you want Plano, Coppell, Flower Mound, etc. It's one of the reasons the homes here in Las Colinas are selling well is because it cuts the commute time in half. I have a client building here moving from Lewisville just because of a reduction in commute time. Also, the DART rail line will open here later this year.

With about 7 million people our freeways get congested early so you've got to get up very early to beat the rush.

You should (1.) find a good Realtor that can educate you on your options and (2.) Drive to some of the cities during your commute times.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I sometimes wonder if this has to do with region of Dallas or age or something. Both my wife (native) and I (non-native moved here as teen) Say 635, 183, 114, 30 and 35; however we are just as likely to say Central or 75, and we say Woodall Rodgers. Most people I know seem to say 114, 183, and 35, with an eve split on 75/central and 635/LBJ, but then I see people on TV following other patterns, and hear my parent's friends following other patterns. Someone should fund a study of this
It depends, I guess. People say 635 or LBJ and 75 or Central. But Stemmons? To most people in Dallas (as opposed to the northwest suburbs), I-35 is a road you take to get to Waco, Austin, or points further south (or maybe OKC) -- so it's usually 35. No one even knows what 366 is, so you absolutely must call it Woodall-Rogers. People are more likely to know that Preston is Hwy 289 than that Woodall-Rogers is Spur 366.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:52 PM

44 posts, read 117,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2133 View Post
I suppose my options open up if I'm willing to have an hour long commute? Or try to go into the office earlier and leave earlier, like leaving the house @ 7 or so?
You should seriously reconsider that for several reasons.

1) Over time, that's a huge chunk of your life spent on the highway
2) which only gets worse when you're stuck in traffic in the middle of the summer when it's 100 degrees outside. Day after day...it's a real beat down.
3) You would have to leave before 7 to make that work.
4) New home quality in that price range doesn't come close to older homes in the same price range.

Not sure why you have the 'new' option on there but if you are willing to drop that off, your options open way up.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If your husband is downtown and you want a newer home in a good school district, in your price range he will easily be looking at a minimum 45 minute commute. (If not more)

DFW is just so big now it's almost impossible to get less of a commute time. Many times it can be 45-60 minutes depending on traffic and that's if you stay close.

Edit... I take above back. There is the part of Las Colinas that is newer and would mean a 25-30 minute commute.
The OP can get to his office in 15-20 minutes from Lake Highlands, which is in Richardson ISD. Merriman Park, White Rock, and Moss Haven Elementary Schools are fine, and you're actually in Dallas with all the advantages that brings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas