Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 PM

179 posts, read 557,535 times

Advertisements

I wish I had this whole thing figured out - but since we don't know where we are moving yet (and likely we won't really start looking until after DH's big work deadline later this month), I haven't signed the kid up for a preschool program yet. I may end up just sending her to a babysitter's house a couple of days a week and wait listing her at a few places at the pace I'm going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:00 PM

383 posts, read 733,167 times
East Dallas is a bit of a hole tbh. Have a look at Garland - if you don't mind a but of 'riff raff' (your words) it's good.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlei456 View Post
Hi!!! We just moved to Dallas last summer from Denver. We are currently living in Preston Hollow, but would love to move to a neighborhood that fits us a bit more. You might also want to look into Dealey Elementary. They have a pre-k (4 year olds) and it is part of the Dallas ISD and I heard lots of great things about it!

One little school I really liked in the White Rock Lake Area (Forest Hills) was the Children's Center. The Children's Center

Another little gem I heard about is called St. Christopher's and it is a Montessori, if you are looking for that.

One school I still need to check out is called the Dallas Day School and it is part of Dallas Services, which provides services for visually impaired students, but their preschool services all types of kids. In my experiences, teachers and adults who have experience with students with special needs are usually really great with all students. But I have not gotten to visit it yet.

Anyway, jogging around here is crazy- especially in highland park. There are very few joggers and drivers never expect us and I almost got hit three times today, while carefully and slowly following signals. But for every car that almost hit me, there was a very courteous driver as well. Another fun run is the Katy Trail which goes through downtown. But it is short and enough for me but maybe not for you! And it is crazy hot in the summer. The craziest part is that it does not cool down at night. I could wake up at 5AM it is is still above 95 degrees. So, even early morning jogs are a challenge in July and August, at least!
Dallas Day School (my kid goes there) is great especially if you live near Uptown or work in the area. Plenty of the docs/nurses/staff from Baylor send their kids their. It's got a fair amount of diversity if that matters to you as well.

You have to run in Dallas early in the day. Later or at dusk is hard as it's still hot. Also, don't get some super high quality headphones that block out noise or you'll miss the big white Suburban looking to kill you on a daily basis. No one looks for joggers. Also, wear bright colors, reflective gear, but you need to be wary of the cars.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 PM

179 posts, read 557,535 times
I've done several runs through downtown now and I really like it. . The whole school system in Garland makes my brain hurt, honestly. We also want to be near a DART rail station so DH can take the train in to Deep Ellum. Since I start my job in Far North Dallas tomorrow, I am looking hard at Richardson but I am also expanding to Carrollton since the DART is up there as well. I am mainly concerned with decent schools and affordability. We will likely rent for a year before trying to buy.
And if you had seen where I've lived in Atlanta, you would understand why nothing really scares me! I lived there by choice and loved it - I love a good project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas