Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM

93 posts, read 195,850 times

Advertisements

nsummer,

Nope--I have my undergrad from UTDallas and wish they had the same fabulous grad program as UNT in the area I'm seeking, but they don't. UNT has the program I want to complete.

Good question, though...

TempNest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 PM

426 posts, read 1,302,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempNest View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts! I'm reminded why I loved Plano--loved the shopping, libraries, etc. selection and city feel. The traffic in Plano doesn't bother us at all. We never found traffic to be horrible in west or central Plano. Also, we really do NOT like the feeling of being further away from Dallas. For me, Plano is pushing it. It's really the commute to UNT that worries me. So I am debating on whether I can or should handle the commute and just live in Plano.
I don't live in DFW any more, but did for 36 years before moving to the Phoenix area three years ago.

I would consider how long you're going to live in the house after you graduate from UNT. Grad school shouldn't take more than 2 or so years. I'd personally put up with a bad commute for a couple years if I knew I'd be in the house for the long term.

For me, one of the factors that hasn't been discussed is how easy it is to get in/out of Flower Mound vs Plano. If memory serves me, there aren't that many routes in/out of Flower Mound to a major highway. Plano doesn't have that problem as it did many years ago.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 PM

93 posts, read 195,850 times
musicforme,

That's a really good point about highway access. I don't think it's changed.

The program will take about 3 years, as it would be part-time. There are some other factors with regard to to FM for us...not just the grad program. I probably wouldn't be considering FM if the drive to UNT was the only factor.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 PM

473 posts, read 1,195,486 times
TempNest and musicforme - Since you have been out of DFW for the last few years, here are some updates on FM roads:

2499 in Flower Mound is now a 6 lane divided state highway (3 lane each way). Other 6 lane state highways from/into FM are 1171 and 3040. 1171 & 3040 takes you to Interstate 35 and 2499 takes you to Interstate 121/114/635. There are lights on these state highways but these are lot lesser than any other internal roads or state highways in other cities that meets their highways. Also there are other internal roads that can take you to 121/ 114 if you want to avoid traffic. As part of a comprehensive mobility plan, 37 street road projects completed in FM in the last 2 years without any tax burden on FM residents .

Traffic is relative for each individual. In peak time, traffic is bad everywhere in DFW. Access to highways is important but the chances of getting your dream house near the highway is less if you really want to live near a highway. It depends how bad the traffic is on the roads during peak time and how long the internal roads is to the highway. I suggest to consider the relative difference in the options you are considering. Residents of mid cities including FM will benefit due to the construction of DFW connector project in 2013 which will ease traffic on Grapevine funnel (121/114/635).

Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM

473 posts, read 1,195,486 times
A corrrection to FM 1171 going West. Currently the 6 lane divided highway ends in Shiloh street which is also the end of most of the populated area in West FM. TXDOT has agreed to combine Phase 2 (Shiloh Road to US 377) and Phase 3 (US 377 to I35W) anticipated to start November 2012.

In addition to highways 2499, 3040, 1171, FM 407 in North FM runs East to West and connects I-35E and I-35W respectively. Its also approved for be 4 lane divided highway and estimated completion date according to TXDOT is January of 2013.I think it might take longer than this but FM 407 expansion is a good news for North FM folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas