Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
regarding the issue of Magnet schools--I think Magnet schools offer a viable alternative to the voucher program so many people advocate when what they really want is someone to subsidize religious schools for their children--that is not the purpose of tax money for education in this state or any state
Magnet schools usually are based on some form of testing for acceptance but (although I don't know for sure and my children did not attend one except once in another state) if if a magnet school is arts-based for instance, then I think part of the testing would include some demonstration of artistic talent--not just academics...Usually when students have a strong interest in a certain area they test better there anyway...

Magnet schools usually only have motivated students who are there because they want what the school has to offer vs a local school where all students are required to attend whether they want to be there or not...attitude is so important in overall tenor of school--teaching a willing child cuts down on so many discipline problems from the beginning...

Yes, magnet schools that specialize in one area like art the students have to show a higher level of knowledge in that spectrum. Here in the Garland ISD we have several magnets. We have 3 Gifted & Talented elementary schools that start in kindergarten where students have to be in the top 90% in three core areas to get in (of course if 1/2 of the 1000 kids testing score in the 90% your looking at the VERY top that actually get to attend). We have 1 classical arts elem magnet for students in visual arts, gymnastics, musical, etc. We have a math & science elem magnet and one technology elem magnet. They all feed into the magnet middle schools for their specific curriculium. My oldest has been in the G&T program since kindergarten and now well into middle school and I LOVE IT!!! The difference between what they do and the mainstream schools is night and day. Even in the G&T elem schools they have arts programs that are far and above the regular schools so students are exposed to a wide variety of areas.

You are right on about the difference in teaching in a school/classroom where kids are WANTING to be there and parents that also want their kids there and a school where they just have to be there. Night and day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 06:46 AM

23 posts, read 88,733 times
Thanks, I will look into magnet schools. We will be in Dallas in 2wks so its looks like we have a lot to get accomplished in this time. Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,895 times
Default Hello Moving 2008

I just read your about your move. My family and I are in the same situation. We are a fairly young black family moving from cali. We have been researching our tails off. We were in the Fort Worth area about a month ago. We were happy with the atmosphere and looked mostly in Mansfield and Grand Prairie. Now after the many post about Mansfield, Grand Prairie, Desoto, and Cedar Hills (which seemed to have a good % of diversity) we are still in search It would be great if we could share information since we are on the same journey. Our agent of course says that the Mansfield ISD is the best, yet according to many post from people that live there say that is not true. He also never mentioned the air quality.

We have five children 10,8,6, and the twins are 3. So Elementary schools are very important to us. Yet we can not have our twins in an atmosphere that may pose a risk to there sensitive resporatory systems, they were premature.

If you have a specific email anything I find I would be more than happy to share.

God Bless

Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 22,586 times
In the year 2010, Dart Rail will be running N/S through Carrollton-Farmers Branch off I-35 for future reference. I would stay away from Cedar Hill and Arlington areas. The houses are cheap but you pay the price for everything else that comes with low housing.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:19 AM

100 posts, read 455,458 times
Fill me in on what comes with cheap housing and what do you consider cheap? Because most houses being built in Cedar Hill are starting at 200K. I just need an explanation.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 13,815 times
I am in the same boat as you and Handy 7. I am a single AA mother with 8 year old twins from California and will be moving to the DFW area also. I have been trying to find the same thing for my family as both of you. I have looked at so many sites on so many cities that it's mind boggeling. I keep hearing about a lot of areas that are very "keeping up with the Jones'" like areas, areas that are racially diverse but have huge crime problems or bad schools, etc. I was so happy to read your posts and all the replies to get a bit more insight. I wish you all the best of luck!!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
where are you people working---this metroplex is large--don't you want to live within a decent drive time

Old 09-19-2007, 03:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Mansfield has a pretty big foreclosure problem...then again maybe you can find something really cheap...

Old 09-22-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
where are you people working---this metroplex is large--don't you want to live within a decent drive time

I actually have no idea where i'll be working which is why i am researching all across the metroplex. However, for me, I would prefer a short commute but if i had to decide on good neighborhoods & schools vs short commute, i'd give up the short communte for the good neighborhood and schools. I'm much more concerned with the environment I live in with my kids more so than I am with a commute. I live in the midwest now and i commute 50miles one way to my job and yes it sucks and is a killer on gas but it's workable.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy7 View Post
I just read your about your move. My family and I are in the same situation. We are a fairly young black family moving from cali. We have been researching our tails off. We were in the Fort Worth area about a month ago. We were happy with the atmosphere and looked mostly in Mansfield and Grand Prairie. Now after the many post about Mansfield, Grand Prairie, Desoto, and Cedar Hills (which seemed to have a good % of diversity) we are still in search It would be great if we could share information since we are on the same journey. Our agent of course says that the Mansfield ISD is the best, yet according to many post from people that live there say that is not true. He also never mentioned the air quality.

We have five children 10,8,6, and the twins are 3. So Elementary schools are very important to us. Yet we can not have our twins in an atmosphere that may pose a risk to there sensitive resporatory systems, they were premature.

If you have a specific email anything I find I would be more than happy to share.

God Bless

Hi Handy7, it would be great to share information. I'll respond to you directly in email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas