Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 AM

21 posts, read 51,183 times

Advertisements

Hello, doing research for a pending move this summer. I have done a lot of research and have discovered that Texas is a most affordable state with a job market that could allow me to find a job. I live in Greenville, South Carolina and there are absolutely no jobs here. I am looking at the Plano area and working in Dallas, what are thoughts without sugar coating, I need real answers about life style, do most of you enjoy living there? I know all places have crime, mean people and drawbacks but I am looking for what people who have relocated there think, are you glad, are you happy, are you glad you did it or not?

Last edited by Hoshiko; 03-25-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
If you want to live in Plano, look for a job close by. This is the land of traffic nightmares.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Okay good to know. May I ask what does "Simmering in DFW" mean, are you happy there? Or you attempting an escape?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshiko View Post
Okay good to know. May I ask what does "Simmering in DFW" mean, are you happy there? Or you attempting an escape?
Means a few things...

But, to answer your question about happiness in Dallas. I came here in 1978 & the DFW area has been home since (with a few escapes to both east and west coasts for periods). The shiny buildings, fancy cars and energetic vibe told me this was the place to build a future. The job market has always provided opportunities and the cost of housing permitted me & family to maintain a high standard of living. The heat in the summer (June thru early October!) is outrageous and while the area is always improving, it kind of lacks soul. It does, tho, continue to have an upbeat vibe! The plan now is to leave in a few years...destination SF Bay area.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Definitely find a job before you move here. The unemployment rate in DFW is lower than other places in the USA, but there are still a lot of people looking for work here. What kind of work do you do?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Most helpful and honest, thank you so much.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Accounting... Nothing can be worse than this. When I go on Indeed.com, there are 125 jobs where I live now and many more in that area.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM

173 posts, read 401,953 times
I like living in Dallas, especially in March like now when the weather is nice, but every-time I venture somewhere else I am reminded about the bad points of the city like how visually unappealing it is, the heat, the lack of outdoor activities, no real focus on walkability or public transportation, sitting in cars all of the time, pollution, bugs endless urban sprawl and stirip malls.Texas is also a state with low education standards and ranks poorly in healthcare, etc, etc, etc. Plus there are ever looming immigration issues.

The cost of living is appealing to many, but it isn't cheap, it's just not overpriced like some major metro areas. The one major difference is housing. If you are moving from a place like San Fran or NYC, the quality of housing of what you get (if willing to live in far out burbs) is much more dramatic, but overall living costs are comparable. Then again, you could leave NYC and move to any major city in the Midwest and South and have a major living cost difference. its just not Dallas. Coming from where you are, Dallas will probably be more expensive than what you are used to.

I am not sure how you determined that Dallas has more jobs than Gville, SC. You are talking about essentially almost a small city compared to the 8th or 9th largest city on the US. So if there are more jobs here yes but a bigger population, but how can you compare? The city is larger like a metro population of 6.5 million compared to 800,000 in Greenville. Tons and tons of people are out of work in Texas, benefits cut, etc. There are going to be more jobs in most larger larger cities.

Keep in mind that many people have moved here in the last few years with the same ideas and many are out of work. The whole economy is not great, all over the US. There really isn't a place where the streets are paved with gold.

I would just schedule a week long trip this summer, come take a look around and see if its for you, and see if you can get any interviews. Otherwise, if you need to look to a larger city, look closer by, maybe Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas