Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM

59 posts, read 81,444 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Tennessee and are still very unsure of our exact location in the DFW area. We are now connected with a realtor. As I have said before my husband is able to pick his work location. Given that he does not have specific commute, please tell me where you would live given the following:

Housing Budget is max $300,000
Need at least 4 Bedrooms (my mother is moving with us)
Need excellent school system
Would like at least .20 acre lot
Would like a pool or be in a community with a pool.
Current home is around 2900 square feet and it's okay but we would like to gain a few hundred square feet.
We are not big city folks. We currently live 30 miles outside of Nashville to get the community feel we want.

Our realtor is pointing us towards Flower Mound, Grapevine, North Richland Hills and Keller. It seems to be those are going to be at the top of our price range or even over our price range to get what we want. I think McKinney or Prosper may be more in lines with our idea of home.

My husband will be in Dallas tomorrow. Our house is almost ready to go on the market.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
The areas your realtor is suggesting have lots of homes well below your max price. Remember that taxes and insurance are lower in Tarrant County, too. McKinney and Prosper are nice, but they are in the far edge of the metroplex, so if your husband has to work in the center parts of the metroplex, he will have a long drive.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTN96 View Post
We are relocating from Tennessee and are still very unsure of our exact location in the DFW area. We are now connected with a realtor. As I have said before my husband is able to pick his work location. Given that he does not have specific commute, please tell me where you would live given the following:

Housing Budget is max $300,000
Need at least 4 Bedrooms (my mother is moving with us)
Need excellent school system
Would like at least .20 acre lot
Would like a pool or be in a community with a pool.
Current home is around 2900 square feet and it's okay but we would like to gain a few hundred square feet.
We are not big city folks. We currently live 30 miles outside of Nashville to get the community feel we want.

Our realtor is pointing us towards Flower Mound, Grapevine, North Richland Hills and Keller. It seems to be those are going to be at the top of our price range or even over our price range to get what we want. I think McKinney or Prosper may be more in lines with our idea of home.

My husband will be in Dallas tomorrow. Our house is almost ready to go on the market.

Thanks in advance.
I am new to this area and live in Plano which I like very much. However I cant compare or comment on the other towns your realtor recommends. But your question makes me wonder if you are experiencing something I experienced in NJ. Realtor's in North Central NJ were familliar with only a few of the communities that were options for us when we moved there. The realtor we connected with through work recommendations was familiar with towns that were great for families with kids commuting by train to NYC. I didnt have kids and worked in NJ not accessible by train. We had to push our realtor to show us homes outside his "area". Is your realtor pushing the FW side of the met4oplex on you? Ask them to show you homes in the two areas you listed and see how they react, or if you have already, how did they react? Others more familiar with the DFW realtors and cities wil be better advisors than I and will chiime in I am sure.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Pinpoint your husband's work location before you determine where to focus your home search.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
McKinney and Prosper are nice, but they are in the far edge of the metroplex, so if your husband has to work in the center parts of the metroplex, he will have a long drive.
This is KEY. If your hubby will have to travel around the metroplex to visit clients or other offices, being in the middle of the metroplex is a lot more convenient than McKinney or Prosper.

The best schools on OP's list are in Flower Mound. Coppell and Plano are also in your budget and have far better schools than several of thr suburbs you mentioned (Prosper, McKinney, Keller, NRH, etc).

Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 22,074 times
I'd also recommend searching the website of whatever company your real estate agent is associated with. Moderator cut: no specific real estate companies or agents permitted in forum You can really narrow your search just by going online. Or you could just go to a real estate website and search the area independently from any company at all. When you see something that catches your eye make a list of homes and ask your real estate agent to get in touch with the selling agent of those properties and they can set up an appointment. If your agent is reluctant then you probably need to get a new agent.

As far as schools go, I'd go to GREATSCHOOLS.COM. they seem to have a great depth of info there.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2012 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Realtor.com is the only RE site to recommend in these forums.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
You want to make sure that the commute is not super long for your husband...

We moved to the metroplex from Greenwich,CT and built a new house in Prosper.We are thrilled. I like the large lots,rolling hills,trees and easy access to the tollway,shopping and entertainment...

Here are 2 examples of houses currently for sale in Prosper near your price range.Built in 2009 and 2011. We built our house 3 years ago (our price range was under $500,000) and have loved the energy effiecient benefits.

1430 Crescent Valley Dr Prosper TX - New Home for Sale - MLS #11683073 - Realtor.com®

1430 Cedar Ridge Dr Prosper TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11727898 - Realtor.com®

Last edited by CREW747; 03-26-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM

59 posts, read 81,444 times
Thoughts on home with a legal address of Fort Worth, Keller Postal address that feeds into the Keller school district?
Thanks.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
It's an area that was hit hard by foreclosures for the longest time and higher end (225K to 325K for that area) competing with builders. Turned a lot of the homes into rentals because of that too.

Naima

Old 03-28-2012, 04:31 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTN96 View Post
Thoughts on home with a legal address of Fort Worth, Keller Postal address that feeds into the Keller school district?
Thanks.
This area is commonly called the "Alliance" area.

Traffic out of that area is a mess. The infrastructure hasn't caught up with the growth and many roads are just too small to handle the amount of cars using them. if your husband has to drive to downtown Dallas from that area, it will take him an hour in traffic.

Go to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's website and search for a recent article about the problems in Alliance such as lack of police coverage, no parks, poor city services, etc. Evidently Fort Worth will happily take residents' tax money, and not provide much in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas