Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 PM

134 posts, read 342,861 times

Advertisements

I saw a few units at Sears and Best Buy that looked promising. If a portable AC unit can cool a large living space and cut down on electricity cost in a Texas summer, it would be too good of a thing to pass up.

Some reviews I've read says it only cools about 6 degrees which would not seem like a big motivator to buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
It's not nearly as energy efficient as a central HVAC system. You need something that cools at least 20 degrees.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
I use a small 10,000 BTU Window Unit in our bedroom. Keeps bedroom and 65 degrees and I don't run the big a/c except in really hot afternoons. My electric bill last summer ran between 150 and 250 a month and rest of year less than 100. If I ran the big A/C I would not be as cool and it would cost over 400 a month in summer. 2400 sf but nice shade on South side.

Those portable units are not that efficient.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,313,821 times
I purchased a portable unit for something a few years ago and it did very little good. I have a small window unit in a bedroom on one end of our house and it does wonders for keeping the house cooler and keeping the central a/c from running constantly.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
A lot of people on fixed income will cool just their bedroom and leave the rest of the house at 90 degrees. Cooling just the bedroom costs $50 vs $300 for the whole house per month. A small window unit in your bathroom is definitely something to consider.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 AM

134 posts, read 342,861 times
Thanks guys. My heat pump just wore out last summer and I need to replace it. It was only 5 yrs old and it seemed like the whole neighborhood was having the same issues. I wasn't too happy with it as it didn't keep the house cooler than 75 deg (which I hear is normal).

While searching for a better system, I thought these portable ones could buy me a little more time. It doesn't seem worth it.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Because of HOA rules we have 2 portable ones for the offices. They do NOT work as well as window units. One is about a 4-year-old Kenmore which is IMO a piece of crap for any room more than 8 x 10 feet. Fortunately, my husband's space IS a small built out in the attic (insulated and all) so it works for him. Mine is a DeLonghi, not even a year old, and it works all right. Not as good as a window unit, but a lot pricier. I'd say my room is 12 x 10 and it cools it enough for me. The rest of the house is kept at 78-82 during the summer. My room is 76 and his feels like 72, but I think it's set at 76.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Some portable ones do work as well as a standard window unit, but they are costly. I have one for my garage, a 12000btu. They will not keep up with a TX summer like we had last year. Even though I insulated my garage door, and use the unit, the temp still creeps up throughout the day.

I tried it in my upstairs media room as well, as that room gets pretty hot with the projector and stereo equipment, but the noise factor ruled that out, but it did keep the room cooler than without, but still not as cool as I would have liked. Bottom line, I'd say pass on buying one.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM

127 posts, read 259,107 times
I've got one of these thingies in my home office because the AC just doesn't get to this room (the ducts are too narrow, its at the end of the run so just a trickle of air comes out, and the room gets hot from the computers). It does a good job of cooling a small 10x14 office but its LOUD. Also, because its expelling the hot air out the rear duct it creates a vacuum in the room so "new" air from the rest of the house is drawn in. This means that it can never actually cool "all" the air in the room because new air is being drawn in.
But its better than nothing. I have it raised up so the exhaust vent is a straight line to help it improve efficiency.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
one factor to consider is your HOA rules
some absolutely forbid window AC units
some people could report you for venting out like this last photo through a window if it is visible to passerbys (not venting into a fenced back yard)

we have older home with gameroom up that our daughter used for her bedroom for years when she was in college and then living at home--
we bought window unit to help cool it off--
it works fairly well I guess but we had problem with the condensate running outside damaging the deck/window facing outside the window

there are some new systems from outside the US that have only room ac units that are supposed to be very energy efficient--especially since you arent supposed to run them if room is unoccupied
Panasonic is one brand mfg I think but not sure
it is the way many other counties heat/cool their homes...room by room vs central system--partially because of not requiring venting tubes from central compressor in attic or garage which might be nonexistant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas