Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,063,262 times

Advertisements

The holy trinity as you say of Woodrow, White and Hillcrest are usually in Newsweek's top 5% in the nation list for their AP programs.

Hillcrest has 3 National Merit Semi-finalists this year (WW 1). Not bad, last year the large Lake Highlands High had none. Also see: At Woodrow 132 students passed one or more AP exams with a score of 3 or higher:Schools Push AP Classes For Minorities | Articles & Archives | Lakewood (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publicatio ns%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F7 91&tier=4&id=079238AC221944E791D1417E7722CB5E&AudI D=0C60FF0FEDEB42CAA527EA9D73BBC489 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,129,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The holy trinity as you say of Woodrow, White and Hillcrest are usually in Newsweek's top 5% in the nation list for their AP programs.

Hillcrest has 3 National Merit Semi-finalists this year (WW 1). Not bad, last year the large Lake Highlands High had none. Also see: At Woodrow 132 students passed one or more AP exams with a score of 3 or higher:Schools Push AP Classes For Minorities | Articles & Archives | Lakewood (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publicatio ns%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F7 91&tier=4&id=079238AC221944E791D1417E7722CB5E&AudI D=0C60FF0FEDEB42CAA527EA9D73BBC489 - broken link)
I attended Dallas public schools; I won't say which high school I went to but it was one of the 'holy trinity'.

Last I saw WW was rated as 'academically unacceptable', though if you look at the details of the rating it becomes obvious why it happened.

When I attended the 'holy trinity' of Dallas public high schools, we had better numbers than what they're achieving now...and if you look at the quality of some of the schools in the suburbs, the DISD looks like a pretty poor prospect. I didn't hold up Lake Highlands as a great school to attend...I'd put it in the same bag as Hillcrest/White/Woodrow at this point. The area around it seems to have deteriorated too.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 AM

As the suburbs age it all becomes the same story - Plano and Richardson seem to be holding up in their advancing ages, but they are the exception. However, White-Hillcrest-Woodrow have similar numbers as Frisco when it comes to National Merit Semi-finalists. And beyond the great private schools you listed, hardly any have NMSFs.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
As the suburbs age it all becomes the same story - Plano and Richardson seem to be holding up in their advancing ages, but they are the exception. However, White-Hillcrest-Woodrow have similar numbers as Frisco when it comes to National Merit Semi-finalists. And beyond the great private schools you listed, hardly any have NMSFs.
Sure, but you have to consider the demographics of the area...particularly around Hillcrest, which is losing its local support as the McMansions take over and the locals ship their kids to private school.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:11 AM

I hope that won't happen (although I love to beat Hillcrest!) - I know that Hillcrest must have benefited from losing Vickery Meadows when Conrad opened. We have had some trouble with our McMansion people too, but most seem to support Lakewood and Stonewall. The parents at Robert E. Lee are doing a good job of converting the McMansion types to in that attendance zone - see: Robert E. Lee Elementary of Lower Greenville Ave.

The Preston Hollow McMansions seem to be the older crowd without kids whereas ours tend to be younger...at least that is my impression.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,741,110 times
Lakewooder - did you happen to see pg. 168 of the September issue of D Home magazine? It's a realtor talking about Lakewood. This is what he has to say about the schools "Many residents send their kids to Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood elementary schools. DISD is a challenge for middle school and high school." He has 4 years in real estate and 6 years in Lakewood. This is the kind of people representing your area.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 AM

418 posts, read 1,781,379 times
Quote:
I didn't hold up Lake Highlands as a great school to attend...I'd put it in the same bag as Hillcrest/White/Woodrow at this point. The area around it seems to have deteriorated too.
Sorry, but I'm going to strongly disagree with you on this one. LH has deteriorated? Is that why I just made a $75K profit on the home I bought there 7 years ago? It's actually becoming quite a popular place to live with young married couples or young couples with young children, because the home prices are less than Lakewood, the homes are generally bigger, and RISD is a big draw.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Lakewooder - did you happen to see pg. 168 of the September issue of D Home magazine? It's a realtor talking about Lakewood. This is what he has to say about the schools "Many residents send their kids to Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood elementary schools. DISD is a challenge for middle school and high school." He has 4 years in real estate and 6 years in Lakewood. This is the kind of people representing your area.

Lee Lamont has never shown his face at Long or Woodrow as far as I know and he angered some people with that statement. But he is a newcomer to our country so I suppose we should cut him some slack. 6 years in Lakewood? That's just a couple of grains of sand though the hourglass! I don't think he is exactly a top-producer, either. He is pretty.

If there is any problem it is with the anxiety of going from elementary to middle school. They recently added the sixth grade. However, Long has beaten St. Mark's in competitions and won state in math and science for three years running so the kids in the upper classes are doing fine.

Anyone who says that about Woodrow is just not informed. Like someone who would say, list St. Thomas Aquinas as a 'hot spot' of Lakewood. And I love The Wine Therapist but I guess he hasn't been there much, either.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,259,193 times
Look in the 75206 (M-Streets) or 75214 (Lakewood). Both are in East Dallas.

Park Cities appreciation rates are insane. I have a friend selling a "teardown" for $1,000,000 on Potomac. It's insane! But it also seems like a good investment. I agree that there is not much diversity. But the people are generally very nice.

In Lakewood you'll find more diversity, but not by much.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I hope that won't happen (although I love to beat Hillcrest!) - I know that Hillcrest must have benefited from losing Vickery Meadows when Conrad opened. We have had some trouble with our McMansion people too, but most seem to support Lakewood and Stonewall. The parents at Robert E. Lee are doing a good job of converting the McMansion types to in that attendance zone - see: Robert E. Lee Elementary of Lower Greenville Ave.

The Preston Hollow McMansions seem to be the older crowd without kids whereas ours tend to be younger...at least that is my impression.
A lot of the PH McMansions were built 20 years ago whereas some other areas around White and Preston/Forest are just starting to fall to the McMansion crowd. There's lots of youngsters, but Melshire Estates doesn't go to Hillcrest anymore anyway; that neighborhood is now zoned to Adams/Walker/White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas