Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,576 times

Advertisements

Of course you'll get lousy water. Have you seen the stuff in them "lakes" ? [And they call it a SUPERIOR water system]

BUT I guess if this is all you've had for years, sooner or later you'll get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM

74 posts, read 237,835 times
when water levels run low the water will be Harder meaning more sediments/minerals (as they tend to settle at the bottom half of the tank and that will be harsh on your skin. Use a hypo-allergic sensitive skin soap like Dove and don't take long showers, also don't use overly hot water. You may also want to check with an Allergy Doctor, the rash could be an allergic reaction to certain pollens or pollutants in the air. Either way I don't think the problem will go away unless this part of Texas gets a lot more rain. If it becomes unbearable I would suggest looking at relocation to an area that's GREEN and Wooded as you will know they get lot's of rain so the water will be SOFTER.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
Somebody needs to notify Agent Mulder and Agent Scully, ASAP!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
when water levels run low the water will be Harder meaning more sediments/minerals (as they tend to settle at the bottom half of the tank and that will be harsh on your skin. Use a hypo-allergic sensitive skin soap like Dove and don't take long showers, also don't use overly hot water. You may also want to check with an Allergy Doctor, the rash could be an allergic reaction to certain pollens or pollutants in the air. Either way I don't think the problem will go away unless this part of Texas gets a lot more rain. If it becomes unbearable I would suggest looking at relocation to an area that's GREEN and Wooded as you will know they get lot's of rain so the water will be SOFTER.
Most local lakes are full. And for the record Europeans mineral baths have been a big hit for centuries.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
Default RE: Unexplained skin rashes from Collin County water???

HELP. ALLERGIC TO DALLAS!!!!!!

Did you ever figure out what the unexplained skin rashes were?!? Unfortunately, I just moved here from another city also and am having the same itchy problems. Other Dallas-area transplants I've talked with (mostly from east coast and Pacific NW) have also had similar skin problems and doctors can't seem to figure out what's going on (no diagnoses or explanations). A lot of doctors just tell these people to use Cetaphil or prescribe steroid creams. Ridiculous. Some of these people have been dealing with this for months to years.

And the water here really does taste, smell, and feel off-weird. My coffee maker and other household stuff in contact with this water have developed corrosion spots since moving here.

Clearly, something is not right in Dallas. So why is everyone here so itchy??? Why the mysterious unexplained rashes and skin problems? Is it bugs? Industry chemicals contamination in water / air? Chinese drywall from all the cheap housing construction? Poor quality public water?

I'm with you TEXAN2008 in missing my old city. Although the people of Dallas are truly some of the nicest and most good-hearted people I've met on this planet, I miss the aesthetic environment and government of my old city where I got clean public water and public safety regulations (and YES we paid some of the highest income taxes in America BUT we got a lot in return for sharing that burden), beautiful density of trees and foliage, safe highways and safe well-kept neighborhoods, a civic-minded and diverse culture. From what I've seen of Dallas so far, despite the wonderful people, it is endless apartments and strip centers, mega churches and "master planned communities," dangerous highways and crumbling bridges, desperately poor or obscenely wealthy people (no thriving large middle class), shopping malls and chain restaurants, drunk drivers / burglaries / rampant crime, deregulation and public health issues. All of this is in stark contrast to my old city and it's fresh in my mind since I just moved here. I guess you get used to all of this after living here for a while, but should anyone really "get used to it"?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:28 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToTexasAndOhMy View Post
HELP. ALLERGIC TO DALLAS!!!!!!

Did you ever figure out what the unexplained skin rashes were?!? Unfortunately, I just moved here from another city also and am having the same itchy problems. Other Dallas-area transplants I've talked with (mostly from east coast and Pacific NW) have also had similar skin problems and doctors can't seem to figure out what's going on (no diagnoses or explanations). A lot of doctors just tell these people to use Cetaphil or prescribe steroid creams. Ridiculous. Some of these people have been dealing with this for months to years.

And the water here really does taste, smell, and feel off-weird. My coffee maker and other household stuff in contact with this water have developed corrosion spots since moving here.

Clearly, something is not right in Dallas. So why is everyone here so itchy??? Why the mysterious unexplained rashes and skin problems? Is it bugs? Industry chemicals contamination in water / air? Chinese drywall from all the cheap housing construction? Poor quality public water?

I'm with you TEXAN2008 in missing my old city. Although the people of Dallas are truly some of the nicest and most good-hearted people I've met on this planet, I miss the aesthetic environment and government of my old city where I got clean public water and public safety regulations (and YES we paid some of the highest income taxes in America BUT we got a lot in return for sharing that burden), beautiful density of trees and foliage, safe highways and safe well-kept neighborhoods, a civic-minded and diverse culture. From what I've seen of Dallas so far, despite the wonderful people, it is endless apartments and strip centers, mega churches and "master planned communities," dangerous highways and crumbling bridges, desperately poor or obscenely wealthy people (no thriving large middle class), shopping malls and chain restaurants, drunk drivers / burglaries / rampant crime, deregulation and public health issues. All of this is in stark contrast to my old city and it's fresh in my mind since I just moved here. I guess you get used to all of this after living here for a while, but should anyone really "get used to it"?
No offense, but what city are you living in? I'll give you the shopping malls, master planned communities (mostly the north) and chain restaurants comment, but what crumbling bridges, dangerous highways, rampant crimes/burglaries, and public health issues are you talking about? Also, I would say there are a lot of communities in DFW that are both middle class and very diverse.

Clearly you moved here for a reason, either cheaper taxes or a better job, whatever. I get that it's not "home" to you, but you've chosen to make it your home and constantly comparing it to "home" will do nothing but make you more miserable. And most locals won't like you trash talking the area, particularly when what you are saying isn't true.

I don't have anything to offer in regards to the rash issue, but maybe get a water softener. It might be allergies too. And whenever I travel the water always tastes different than what I'm used to. It's not a quality issue.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times
As a follow up to my original post, the rash occurs like clockwork now in the winter months of December and January. My doctor prescribed Kenalog cream which is a cortosteroid prescription strength cream. Within 3 weeks of continuous application, the upper torso rash is gone. Still never had this problem in St. Louis in the winter where it is actually colder and drier.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
When we first moved here....we filled up huge gallons of water from grocery stores.
This was 10 years ago..., We still can't stand the taste and feel of this water.
When we go out to eat, we will only order can, bottled water or soda never from the tap or soda machine...luckily coffee is strong enough to kill the stinky water.
Although Race Trac has filtered water in their softdrinks, slurpees, coffee.

No rashes here though. maybe it's the weather affecting your skin?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 AM

119 posts, read 247,798 times
Since moving here I've started developing hives on my back when I'm out in the sun that last for days--even if I'm just outside for 20 minutes and my back isn't exposed. Not sure if it's related to water but I've never had such weird changes!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,995 times
Omg ! Im not alone. Im from michigan and i moved to collin county in 2009 around 10 i started noticing these unexplained rashes on my body . Ive been to the doctors to make sure it was noting externally wrong with me . I have always believed it was the water. It seems like the people that are not originally from this area are not affected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas