Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times

Advertisements

Nice update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Nice update!
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Default November 29, 2012 Recovery Update (Part II)

A continuation of my previous update.

I have followed the progress of this particular house since July:
July 19, 2012 – Old, damaged structure

October 16, 2012 – Framing for the new stucture

November 29, 2012 – Framing mostly complete, workers on-site

Two restored homes in the Colonial Estates subdivision

Another restored home on Brookhaven Drive

Since the first homes built after the tornado were completed, it has been interesting to see how homeowners have chosen to restore their properties. Most have rebuilt their homes on the footprint of the old structure, like the house in the first photo. As shown in the second and third photos, others have opted to build new homes that are larger (or in the case of the third photo, significantly larger) than what had previously existed.

Properties like this house, untouched since April 3 and awaiting demolition, are constant reminders of the storm's impact on the neighborhood. As more time has passed and the recovery continues, there are just a few homes in this state of disrepair that remain.

Last edited by Acntx; 08-28-2017 at 02:59 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Default March 22, 2013 Recovery Update

With the one year mark less than two weeks away, I wanted to update everyone on the tornado damaged areas. New homes are still being built, but many were completed in the late fall and winter months.

November 29, 2012 - This house was in a state of disrepair for the longest time. I was surprised to find a new house being built on the property.

March 22, 2013

July 19, 2012 - Brookhaven Drive at Town North Drive.

March 22, 2012 - Brookhaven Drive at Town North Drive.

I took this picture in the summer of 2009 for my Lancaster Photo thread. This house was destroyed on April 3, 2012.

March 22, 2013 - A newly-constructed house on the property.

I've had a few health issues this month, but I do plan on snapping a few more pictures before April 3, 2013.

Last edited by Acntx; 08-28-2017 at 03:06 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Very neat to see!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Thank you for the update. Hope you are feeling better very soon!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 AM

Thanks, mSooner and TXNGL. The area is recovering faster than I thought it would.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Can't let today go by without noting that it is the anniversary of this DFW tornado outbreak of last year - the weather channel today has been showing the infamous video of the tracker trailers being tumbled in the air - still unbelievable to this day, along with the damage incurred in Arlington and the rebuilding recovery progress since then. Nothing shown on the Lancaster area damage, so great coverage and updates furnished by you, Acntx, above... very much appreciated!

See:
1 Year Ago: Dallas-Ft. Worth Tornado Outbreak - weather.com

Here's to a much calmer spring season this year - take care all!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
The auto repair business sure took off last spring, and we're hoping for more this year. Nobody gets hurt but the insurance companies pay out the nose!

Bring it on!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Can't let today go by without noting that it is the anniversary of this DFW tornado outbreak of last year - the weather channel today has been showing the infamous video of the tracker trailers being tumbled in the air - still unbelievable to this day, along with the damage incurred in Arlington and the rebuilding recovery progress since then. Nothing shown on the Lancaster area damage, so great coverage and updates furnished by you, Acntx, above... very much appreciated!

See:
1 Year Ago: Dallas-Ft. Worth Tornado Outbreak - weather.com

Here's to a much calmer spring season this year - take care all!
Thanks for the compliment, BstYet2Be! I really appreciate it.

Aside from seeing the tornado from my back window, there are a few more things about April 3, 2012 that will always stick with me:

1) Gardening in my front yard early that morning. I knew there was a chance of storms that day, so I wanted to finish the work before the storms came. Never thought I would see the yard littered with 2x4s, insulation, roof shingles, and branches a few hours later.

2) How quiet the tornado was as it approached while taking shelter in a closet. I've always heard that a tornado would sound like a freight train, but all I remember is the stillness interrupted by storm debris hitting the house. Even though tornadoes are life-threatening events, oddly I never feared for my life. I was scared but always felt that I would be okay. I expected my house to be extensively damaged, but other than a blown down fence, it was untouched.

3) Laying in bed that night with no electricity, a lantern for light, and listening to a battery-powered radio reporting on the damage without a clue of how widespread or extensive it had been beyond our neighborhood. When the lights came on the next morning, I just sat in awe of the devastation that occurred throughout the DFW area.

4) Seeing the hardest hit areas a few streets over from me for the first time and thinking our area would never fully recover. I thought we would have areas that where concrete slabs would outnumber new homes, but thankfully I was wrong. While there are still a few homes yet to be demolished and several vacant lots where homes once stood, most residents chose to stay in the neighborhood and rebuild. Quite a few homes are still under construction or nearing completion, so a lot of progress has been made over the past 12 months.

Thanks to all the posters on this forum who followed the recovery process and commented on my photos. Hopefully before the month is over, I can add a final set of photos to this thread.

Out of all of the videos I've seen, this is the only one I found that captures the exact moment when the tornado hit my neighborhood. At about 1:40 of the video is when I believe the storm was closest to my house. Still gives me chills to watch this.

Last edited by Acntx; 04-03-2013 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas