Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't live in Frisco but I work in Frisco. Once again, I go against the flow!

Many of the big job centers in west Plano (Frito Lay, JC Penney, Hewlett-Packard (formerly EDS), Bank of America (formerly Countrywide), Ericcson, etc, etc, are just to the south of the Frisco border. Many Frisco residents work in these corporate campuses around the tollway within a mile of Frisco, so it is not like Frisco is out in the middle of nowhere away from jobs. And its not like all Frisco residents are driving all the way to Dallas for a job either.

As Frisco matures as a city, it will add more jobs to the mix. Plano wasn't a major employment center when it first boomed as a bedroom community. The Dallas Tollway corridor from 635 north is the major boom area for job growth and it will continue its march northward. When Plano gets built out, there is a ton of empty parcels on both sides of the tollway in Frisco ready to grow.

Some won't like Frisco, but most I know that live here love it.
Agree with this. I work in Addison, and it feels like everyone at my job lives in Frisco. People of all races, and they all love it and wouldnt live anywhere else. I dont care for it, but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend Frisco to other folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Which intersection? The one with an exit ramp of an expressway? Or the one with a red light and a dedicated left turn arrow? Yeah, those are both so much different and difficult than every other one in Texas.
Preston and 121 sucks...period.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: edited: language

Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Preston and 121 sucks...period.
Seriously? A great intersection because if you are traveling on Preston north or south and don't want to turn onto the 121 access road, you have an overpass to take you over the access road. If you are on the 121 access road, you stop for the light if it is red or go thru if it is green. If you are turning right, you have dedicated turn lanes, if turning left you have dedicated left turn lanes and arrows. What is so difficult about this intersection? Well designed, traffic flows well, not unlike 100s of other intersections in the metroplex if not better than most.

I go thru it a minimum two times a day on my way to and from work, sometimes more if I am heading that way around lunch. Since 121 was completed it has not been a problem for me EVER! Maybe the last time you were up there was years ago when they were both two lane roads? Time to venture out, the NTTA and the TX DOT have made an excellent intersection IMHO.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM

44 posts, read 117,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Agree with this. I work in Addison, and it feels like everyone at my job lives in Frisco. People of all races, and they all love it and wouldnt live anywhere else. I dont care for it, but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend Frisco to other folks.
Why would they tell you anything else. They've invested in a city whose infrastructure can't keep up with growth, losing major investors/employers and a host of other issues you won't generally hear about. They've already invested and most are stuck and can't sell. Better to put lipstick on a pig then concede defeat.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnee View Post
Why would they tell you anything else. They've invested in a city whose infrastructure can't keep up with growth, losing major investors/employers and a host of other issues you won't generally hear about. They've already invested and most are stuck and can't sell. Better to put lipstick on a pig then concede defeat.
????

Please be specific. What employers? Who has left Frisco?

What investors? Who has pulled out of what projects?

What infrastructure? Name something that is lacking that isn't similar to any other city in the area that is growing at a fast rate.

Who can't sell what?

How is anything in Frisco different from Plano? Does some magic wall of doom descend upon the landscape the minute you drive over 121?

This has to be one of the most outlandish posts I've ever read on C-D.

When I moved to the area in 2003, Frisco had just opened Centennial High School, the second HS after the original Frisco High. Now there are 6 high schools and all the feeder elementary schools and middle schools to go along with them. Phenomenal growth and the ISD is keeping up building beautiful schools.

Roads: 121 access road and Sam Rayburn Tollway completed on the southern border. Tollway completed up the west side to 380, the northern border. Preston Road in the final stages of being 6 laned all the way to 380. Almost all major arteries are 6 laned or in the stages of being completed. One of the best networks of arterial streets of any city in the metroplex.

Probably the best regional mall in the metroplex. Not the toniest, but tony enough, few vacancies in the main mall or surrounding big box centers. Much more filled up and active than Willow Bend, Collin Creek or Grapevine Mills.

Home to the Dr. Pepper center, minor league hockey and baseball. The Roughriders stadium is one of the nicest ballparks I've ever been to anywhere. Home to FC Dallas professional Soccer. The area around the Soccer stadium is booming with sports related businesses.

Frisco Main Street has been updated, the streetscape totally rebuilt. Small but full and thriving. At the intersection of Main and the Tollway, the Frisco Square continues to grow with a beautiful new urbanism live/work/play neighborhood expanding all the time. A new Hospital is almost complete (third hospital in the city), new Cinemark theatre complex, new apts over retail, a great site that will only get better. Site of the new city hall and library. A history museum with old historical structures restored... old train depot, church, one room school house, houses. This sits next to Babe's Chicken, their largest restaurant in the metroplex, a wait every time I have been. A new state of the art Fire/police headquarters at the east end of Main near Preston.... the list goes on and on, thriving business line Preston from the Mall area to Main Street. Eldorado at the Tollway is booming with new retail.

The only employer that I know of that might be leaving is the battery recycling plant that has been there for years but is a heavy polluter. Not because their business isn't doing well but residents are wanting it to shut down or move out of Frisco because of pollution concerns.

Sorry, cannot think of what in the blazes you are talking about. And I'm not a resident. I do work there, my car dealership is now the number one Honda dealer in the state of Texas going on the third year in a row, currently ranked 12th of all Honda dealers in the nation, by far the number one dealer in the parent company's (Asbury Automotive) over 100 auto dealerships nationwide. We are setting new sales records every month.

Frisco might not be your cup of tea but next time you have some flaming comments, back it up with some facts.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM

207 posts, read 506,282 times
Quote:
That statement can be made about most upper middle class neighborhoods in the US. Nothing about Frisco is any different.

I have met dozens of native Friscoers (Friscoites? Fricans?) in my 8 years working in Frisco. Frisco had a population of only 7,000 or so as recently as the 1990 census, but there are plenty of home town folk still in the area.
Agreed.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
The intersection at Preston and 121 is actually very well planned...however, that doesn't negate the fact that there is usually just a ridiculous amount of traffic in that area. I think the intersection design does pretty good job handling the amount of traffic that flows through there. The part that beats me down are the streets just north, by the mall and surrounding shops. To me that's where I run into bottlenecks, crazy drivers zipping across multiple lanes, etc. It's like a much larger version of Park and Preston...which is also a beating traffic-wise.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:

Frisco is one of the most sought iut places to live in the DFW metroplex. The city has done a good job attracting business and families to move to the area. While It is not a good fit for everyone, infastructure has been decent considering the huge influx of new residents. Frisco is a well planned city that has something for everyone. While many people do not love the scnery and vibe ( myself included ) it is a great option for alot of people.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 AM

325 posts, read 756,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
The intersection at Preston and 121 is actually very well planned...however, that doesn't negate the fact that there is usually just a ridiculous amount of traffic in that area. I think the intersection design does pretty good job handling the amount of traffic that flows through there. The part that beats me down are the streets just north, by the mall and surrounding shops. To me that's where I run into bottlenecks, crazy drivers zipping across multiple lanes, etc. It's like a much larger version of Park and Preston...which is also a beating traffic-wise.
The design and layout is pretty good, even north of the mall. The biggest problem around here was the same thing brought up in another thread. The aggressive or clueless drivers. Too many people that think there's only one entrance to the mall or one of the other parts around there, and insist on zipping across 3 lanes rather than go to the next entrance....

Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 AM

325 posts, read 756,811 times
Quote:
-1. If you want to say that people in the newer parts of Frisco have a tough time selling because they're competing against so much new housing, that's a legitimate statement. Beyond that, sounds like a lot of the typical Exburb bashing that's common on here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas