Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
????

Please be specific. What employers? Who has left Frisco?

What investors? Who has pulled out of what projects?

What infrastructure? Name something that is lacking that isn't similar to any other city in the area that is growing at a fast rate.

Who can't sell what?

How is anything in Frisco different from Plano? Does some magic wall of doom descend upon the landscape the minute you drive over 121?

This has to be one of the most outlandish posts I've ever read on C-D.

When I moved to the area in 2003, Frisco had just opened Centennial High School, the second HS after the original Frisco High. Now there are 6 high schools and all the feeder elementary schools and middle schools to go along with them. Phenomenal growth and the ISD is keeping up building beautiful schools.

Roads: 121 access road and Sam Rayburn Tollway completed on the southern border. Tollway completed up the west side to 380, the northern border. Preston Road in the final stages of being 6 laned all the way to 380. Almost all major arteries are 6 laned or in the stages of being completed. One of the best networks of arterial streets of any city in the metroplex.

Probably the best regional mall in the metroplex. Not the toniest, but tony enough, few vacancies in the main mall or surrounding big box centers. Much more filled up and active than Willow Bend, Collin Creek or Grapevine Mills.

Home to the Dr. Pepper center, minor league hockey and baseball. The Roughriders stadium is one of the nicest ballparks I've ever been to anywhere. Home to FC Dallas professional Soccer. The area around the Soccer stadium is booming with sports related businesses.

Frisco Main Street has been updated, the streetscape totally rebuilt. Small but full and thriving. At the intersection of Main and the Tollway, the Frisco Square continues to grow with a beautiful new urbanism live/work/play neighborhood expanding all the time. A new Hospital is almost complete (third hospital in the city), new Cinemark theatre complex, new apts over retail, a great site that will only get better. Site of the new city hall and library. A history museum with old historical structures restored... old train depot, church, one room school house, houses. This sits next to Babe's Chicken, their largest restaurant in the metroplex, a wait every time I have been. A new state of the art Fire/police headquarters at the east end of Main near Preston.... the list goes on and on, thriving business line Preston from the Mall area to Main Street. Eldorado at the Tollway is booming with new retail.

The only employer that I know of that might be leaving is the battery recycling plant that has been there for years but is a heavy polluter. Not because their business isn't doing well but residents are wanting it to shut down or move out of Frisco because of pollution concerns.

Sorry, cannot think of what in the blazes you are talking about. And I'm not a resident. I do work there, my car dealership is now the number one Honda dealer in the state of Texas going on the third year in a row, currently ranked 12th of all Honda dealers in the nation, by far the number one dealer in the parent company's (Asbury Automotive) over 100 auto dealerships nationwide. We are setting new sales records every month.

Frisco might not be your cup of tea but next time you have some flaming comments, back it up with some facts.

I think there is probably a bit of truth in both you and Fawnee's posts. One thing that my friends from Frisco do talk about is the falling home prices...houses being sold on their streets for way less than what they paid...a lot of folks underwater. Granted this is not limited to just Frisco, but they don't call it "Frisclosure" for nothing.
And this is just my personal opinion, but I feel Frisco took the wrong path as far as economic development. Plano went after the big corporate HQs, Frisco went after retail. I think we all know why retail isnt as good for a city's economic health versus corporate HQs. So it is what it is. Other than that, I agree with everything else you said. Frisco is well planned out, lots to do...I do have one major pet peeve with Frisco...I HATE the fact that it's just tollroads to get in and out of the city. But I guess that's just what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I think there is probably a bit of truth in both you and Fawnee's posts. One thing that my friends from Frisco do talk about is the falling home prices...houses being sold on their streets for way less than what they paid...a lot of folks underwater. Granted this is not limited to just Frisco, but they don't call it "Frisclosure" for nothing.
And this is just my personal opinion, but I feel Frisco took the wrong path as far as economic development. Plano went after the big corporate HQs, Frisco went after retail. I think we all know why retail isnt as good for a city's economic health versus corporate HQs. So it is what it is. Other than that, I agree with everything else you said. Frisco is well planned out, lots to do...I do have one major pet peeve with Frisco...I HATE the fact that it's just tollroads to get in and out of the city. But I guess that's just what it is.
I hate the toll roads too.

Edit: I love their design and efficiency. I hate paying the tolls.

Frisco is a newer area. In 1990 when my inlaws first moved to the area, Frisco was barely over 7,000 people. The big headquarters were just starting to come to west Plano which had a population well over what Frisco has now.

Plano started as a sleepy rural trainstop town just like Frisco and first became a bedroom community for the North Dallas area. It took some time for it to mature. Frisco is Plano 25 years down the road. There is plenty of room for more corporate employment to come and the tollroad corridor is one of the prime spots.

Drive north up the Tollway in Frisco, Hall Office Park is at Gaylord, the first exit, still has lots of room to grow. From there north, acres upon acres of undeveloped property. With 121 giving direct access to the airport, it will be a prime location for decades to come.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 AM

325 posts, read 757,032 times
Quote:
Actually, I love the toll roads around there. Beats the heck out of the multi hundred dollar registration fees DMV charges in CA. However, that being said, it can be too easy to use them, especially on weekends when just going to Stonebriar or other areas around town, and that can add up. Don't just put your toll tags in and forget about them. Keep an eye on your usage, and be smart and use the frontage roads when possible (another thing I love about DFW, frontage roads on many of the tollways with freeway level speed limits).

Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM

44 posts, read 117,022 times
Quote:
Amen. The first rule about Frisclosure is you don't talk about Frisclosure.

But if "well planned out" you mean room for more Whataburgers, Wendy's Dairy Queens, nail salons, banks, gas stations... then yeah, I agree it was well planned out.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnee View Post
Amen. The first rule about Frisclosure is you don't talk about Frisclosure.

But if "well planned out" you mean room for more Whataburgers, Wendy's Dairy Queens, nail salons, banks, gas stations... then yeah, I agree it was well planned out.
Name a city of any size in Texas that doesn't have these things please. I want to know where the Texas Utopia is....

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
According to the DMN in 2011 homes sales in Frisco were up as well as prices.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
According to the DMN in 2011 homes sales in Frisco were up as well as prices.
Well, let's don't mess up this nice bash Frisco thread with any facts now

Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
Meh, Frisco is what it is. It's the hot, trendy 'burb of the past decade. While I hate the sprawl of DFW, Frisco is just taking advantage of being next in line on the Preston Road corridor. It's their turn. No point in even trying to fight it. At least they've been successful in attracting some unique things to their town like the Rough Riders and FC Dallas. (And I hate that FC Dallas left Dallas, but you have to give Frisco credit for attracting them to their town).

Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Mom View Post
I don't think there is a Texan living in Frisco. It's the trendy place to live. Ok, so that isn't entirely true, just partially.

PS: We lived in Frisco. It's clean, has everything at your fingertips, schools are decent, but many people are just trying to keep up with their neighbors lifestyle.
Definitely true of Frisco and almost every single town/city in Collin County. I think McKinney may be the only city in the county with a decent sized lower and middle-class (i.e. not upper middle class) population.

I will say this about Frisco; the whole "keeping up with the joneses" thing isn't as bad there as it is in Plano. In Plano, you'll run into plenty of wannabe rich people (or $30,000 millionaires as I like to call them, lol) driving around in those ugly Range Rovers who can't actually afford them (and of course those who CAN actually afford them) and Plano altogether is nothing but a rat race / suburban hell.

In fact, the stereotypical rich, yuppie attitude in the Northern Burbs is just as bad as what I observed in places like Newport Beach and La Jolla, which I think is crazy considering the major differences in the areas. As for the trendy stuff, I could care less about that as I don't choose to live in a place for such a reason. For me, it is about affordability and being close to work/school. I could afford Frisco, but it is FAR from where I work and currently attend school, so I don't plan on moving there anytime soon.

Frisco has everything that Plano does in terms of dining and shopping and it is much less hectic getting around. However, if the growth continues at the rate that it is, it may end up being another Plano.

Anyway, back to the main question, Frisco still has lots of open land, so the potential for new jobs and "office parks" exist.

Frisco is not a bad place. If I had to live in Collin County, it would be one of only two places that I would live (the other being McKinney). On the other hand, I would rather live in suburbs like Southlake, Euless, Conroe, and The Woodlands; for one, many more trees in those areas and NO TOLL ROADS!

Last edited by Newbe10; 04-11-2012 at 05:23 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Definitely true of Frisco and almost every single town/city in Collin County. I think McKinney may be the only city in the county with a decent sized lower and middle-class (i.e. not upper middle class) population.

I will say this about Frisco; the whole "keeping up with the joneses" thing isn't as bad there as it is in Plano. In Plano, you'll run into plenty of wannabe rich people (or $30,000 millionaires as I like to call them, lol) driving around in those ugly Range Rovers who can't actually afford them (and of course those who CAN actually afford them) and Plano altogether is nothing but a rat race / suburban hell.

In fact, the stereotypical rich, yuppie attitude in the Northern Burbs is just as bad as what I observed in places like Newport Beach and La Jolla, which I think is crazy considering the major differences in the areas. As for the trendy stuff, I could care less about that as I don't choose to live in a place for such a reason. For me, it is about affordability and being close to work/school. I could afford Frisco, but it is FAR from where I work and currently attend school, so I don't plan on moving there anytime soon.

Frisco has everything that Plano does in terms of dining and shopping and it is much less hectic getting around. However, if the growth continues at the rate that it is, it may end up being another Plano.

Anyway, back to the main question, Frisco still has lots of open land, so the potential for new jobs and "office parks" exist.

Frisco is not a bad place. If I had to live in Collin County, it would be one of only two places that I would live (the other being McKinney). On the other hand, I would rather live in suburbs like Southlake, Euless, Conroe, and The Woodlands; for one, many more trees in those areas and NO TOLL ROADS!

1. Plano is the wealthiest city in the US over 250,000 people. San Jose is next and the gap is fairly large. The gap between San Jose and number three Anchorage is quite large.

2. Plano's household and median income is about equal to La Jolla's and La Jolla is a much, much smaller town - Plano is 5 or 6x as large.

3. Newport's income stats are higher. In some measure because Newport is much smaller than Plano as well. Newport has few children ergo its income stats are for this reason a bit deceiving relative to family dense Plano. Newport is pretty close to a whites and Asians only town as well.

Plano is more or less the worst, decent sized city, example in the country you could use to run down because of "faux" wealth because Plano has an unusual amount of real wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas