Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM

391 posts, read 919,902 times

Advertisements

I would choose Houston over Dallas any day of the week and twice on Sunday's! The winters in Houston or Dallas are pretty much non-existent. Dallas gets a dusting of snow every couple of years, Houston gets it once every 5-10 years. On the flip side, Houston summers tend to be slightly cooler. Houston doesn't pass the 100 degree mark nearly as much as the DFW area. The past summer DFW had 40+ days in a row with highs above 100!! Houston hovers around 90-95 in the summer, but we get cooled off almost daily by afternoon showers which give way to nice clear nights.

As far as sports are concerned you would probably love Houston much more! ALL of our sports facilities are located inside the city, in fact, in downtown, except for Reliant Stadium which is about 6 miles southwest of downtown (but still inside the loop).

The music scene here is awesome! You would LOVE The Heights, Washington Heights, Midtown and Montrose areas. They all have very cool bars, extremely down to earth and laid back.

Houston has plenty of suburban areas to move to if that is your liking. Pearland, Sugar Land, Cypress, Katy, The Woodlands, Kingwood and unincorporated western Harris County are very good choices!

Houston also has less crime per capita than the DFW area and in fact, Harris County just upped the amount of patroling deputies. The surrounding counties are even safer than that!

Houston is also close to the ocean and close to nearby lakes and national forests as well. If you are into the outdoors you will love the Houston area. Houston has the most parkland by acreage than any city in the top 20 in the nation. Houston also has plenty of dedicated bike trails as well.

Hopefully this helps with your decision. Whichever you choose, welcome to Texas!! =)

Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,497,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
On the flip side, Houston summers tend to be slightly cooler. Houston doesn't pass the 100 degree mark nearly as much as the DFW area.
Have you forgotten about the absolute steambath humidity in Houston during the spring & summer? That makes those 90-95 degree days feel MUCH worse.

In my experience of both cities, Dallas just has a better "feel" - IMHO it's more consistently upscale-feeling, and much cleaner overall. And, except for possibly the location of major sports venues, I see little in your post that makes Houston more attractive to anyone than Dallas. I'll take the topography of Dallas over the pine flats of the Gulf Coast any day (I grew up on the Gulf Coast)!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 04-16-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,116,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
"We are looking to live in the city first and then move to a nice quiet suburb. I want a big yard."

So how's does commuting into downtown Dallas compare to commuting into downtown Houston? I can see the benefits of city living in Dallas, as compared to Houston, But in 5 years when the OP wants "a big yard" which would give him a better drive? Is it still Dallas?
Depends on how much money he has to spend.

The humidity in Houston is unbearable to me. And it is ALL YEAR.

And I like how it actually gets cold enough to wear jackets and sweaters and gloves in Dallas. Not this winter (strange), but for most.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,084,298 times
Quote:
Houston also has less crime per capita than the DFW area and in fact, Harris County just upped the amount of patroling deputies.
The first half of that statement isn't true. The following statistics are from the FBI's annual Crime in the United States report (2011 figures will not be published until later this year):

Violent Crime Rate per 100,000 population

2010: DFW (372.6) / Houston (620.7)
2009: DFW (410.8) / Houston (706.8)
2008: DFW (457.5) / Houston (688.3)
2007: DFW (504.0) / Houston (679.1)
2006: DFW (534.3) / Houston (707.2)

Property Crime Rate per 100,000 population

2010: DFW (3,607.3) / Houston (3,943.9)
2009: DFW (3,912.7) / Houston (4,120.8)
2008: DFW (4,064.1) / Houston (3,810.5)
2007: DFW (4,307.7) / Houston (4,109.3)
2006: DFW (4,419.0) / Houston (4,122.6)

For violent crimes, the DFW metro area has consistently had a lower rate than the Houston metro. The property crime rate in DFW has steadily declined and is lower than Houston's as well.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM

229 posts, read 303,446 times
Quote:
I would choose Houston over Dallas any day of the week and twice on Sunday's! The winters in Houston or Dallas are pretty much non-existent. Dallas gets a dusting of snow every couple of years, Houston gets it once every 5-10 years. On the flip side, Houston summers tend to be slightly cooler. Houston doesn't pass the 100 degree mark nearly as much as the DFW area. The past summer DFW had 40+ days in a row with highs above 100!! Houston hovers around 90-95 in the summer, but we get cooled off almost daily by afternoon showers which give way to nice clear nights.

As far as sports are concerned you would probably love Houston much more! ALL of our sports facilities are located inside the city, in fact, in downtown, except for Reliant Stadium which is about 6 miles southwest of downtown (but still inside the loop).

The music scene here is awesome! You would LOVE The Heights, Washington Heights, Midtown and Montrose areas. They all have very cool bars, extremely down to earth and laid back.

Houston has plenty of suburban areas to move to if that is your liking. Pearland, Sugar Land, Cypress, Katy, The Woodlands, Kingwood and unincorporated western Harris County are very good choices!

Houston also has less crime per capita than the DFW area and in fact, Harris County just upped the amount of patroling deputies. The surrounding counties are even safer than that!

Houston is also close to the ocean and close to nearby lakes and national forests as well. If you are into the outdoors you will love the Houston area. Houston has the most parkland by acreage than any city in the top 20 in the nation. Houston also has plenty of dedicated bike trails as well.

Hopefully this helps with your decision. Whichever you choose, welcome to Texas!! =)
In response to the above:
1. I would much rather have 100 degrees and lower humidity, than Houston's extremely uncomfortable 95 degree days with unbearable humidity. If you wear eyeglasses, they actually steam up when you go outside in the summer.
2. I am not quite sure why having 2 or 3 sports venues in a central location makes you a city a better sports city. I think having more professional sports, better teams, with international appeal, would make Dallas a far better sports city.
3. I definately think Dallas can hold its own in this area. I have never heard of Houston having a better music scene than Dallas. Austin beats both cities in this battle.
4. Houston has a few suburbs, 30 or more miles from the city, whereas Dallas has dozens and dozens of suburbs, many with their own distinct personalities, and good schools, within close proximity to Dallas.
5. Not true.
6. If you have ever been to an ocean, you will be greatly dissapointed with the Texas Coast. Galveston is one of the dirtiest towns and beaches that you will ever see. The water is brown, hot, and dirty. During the summer it is like swimming in someones dirty bathwater.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-16-2012 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: changed font - please do not use all bold as it is hard to read

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,503,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
In response to the above:
1. I would much rather have 100 degrees and lower humidity, than Houston's extremely uncomfortable 95 degree days with unbearable humidity. If you wear eyeglasses, they actually steam up when you go outside in the summer.
2. I am not quite sure why having 2 or 3 sports venues in a central location makes you a city a better sports city. I think having more professional sports, better teams, with international appeal, would make Dallas a far better sports city.
3. I definately think Dallas can hold its own in this area. I have never heard of Houston having a better music scene than Dallas. Austin beats both cities in this battle.
4. Houston has a few suburbs, 30 or more miles from the city, whereas Dallas has dozens and dozens of suburbs, many with their own distinct personalities, and good schools, within close proximity to Dallas.
5. Not true.
6. If you have ever been to an ocean, you will be greatly dissapointed with the Texas Coast. Galveston is one of the dirtiest towns and beaches that you will ever see. The water is brown, hot, and dirty. During the summer it is like swimming in someones dirty bathwater.
Mikey has proven to just be a Houston homer. Pay him no mind.

KC, any developments on your decision?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-16-2012 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: updated quoted post

Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM

659 posts, read 1,371,053 times
Dallas is definitely more upscale with the snobbery to accompany it. Houston is down to earth, eclectic and just easier to live in overall. I've lived in both and Houston has a better quality of life for myself and my family.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM

285 posts, read 565,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Dallas is definitely more upscale with the snobbery to accompany it.
Dallas is easily more snobbish but not more upscale than Houston. DFW pretends to be more "upscale" despite having comparable or even lower average household incomes/wages than Houston.

Incomes Dallas v. Houston

Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,266,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

The humidity in Houston is unbearable to me. And it is ALL YEAR.
False. Houston get plenty of days where the relative humidity is low.

Quote:
And I like how it actually gets cold enough to wear jackets and sweaters and gloves in Dallas. Not this winter (strange), but for most.
I own all of these things and have had to use them pretty much every year, several times, in Houston (gloves on rarer occasions). If you spend any significant amount of time outside during the evening and night (as I do), you will want cool weather clothing.

But to the main topic, I think the OP should go with Dallas.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM

19,536 posts, read 17,788,402 times
OP,

I know none of the Houston gang believe me but I really like both cities a lot. If I were to move out of Dallas I'd likely move back to Houston.

You should find a way to spend long weekends in each and decide by feel.

Pros Houston:
More lively downtown - although the gap is closing
Better college scene - UH, Rice in town
Gulf is close by nothing similar around DFW
Fun - I've never been able to quantify this but Houston is just more fun

Pro Dallas:
Art Scene - easy win for Big D
Great living close to downtown - Bishop Arts District, Colorado Blvd. just of I-30, Preston Hollow, Highland Park etc. Any of these places and more are just a few minutes from downtown. The drive from HP down Preston into Turtle Creek and Uptown/Downtown is an amazing cruise. Houston does not have as many nice options that close to downtown.
Although traffic around Dallas is bad it's better than Houston especially getting into and out of either downtown

Best of luck.

ETA - I missed your music point. I'd give the edge to Dallas/DFW due Fort Worth and Denton along with Dallas offering a huge variety of live music every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas