Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 PM

62 posts, read 225,691 times

Advertisements

Hate to burst any bubbles, but the Wal-Mart you are talking about is in DALLAS, not Addison. The Laguna Terrace apartments, likewise, are not in Addison, but in Dallas.

There are plenty of non-chain restaurants in Addison, too. Get off Beltline Road to find them.

The daytime population of Addison swells due to the businesses here, but the number of actual residents is about 15,000. The Addison police make frequent drives through the residential neighborhoods and there is a "close-watch" program for residents when they travel. I returned from a trip early and had the police at the door checking out the situation.

Please don't paint Addison with the same brush that you're using for North Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 AM

457 posts, read 428,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISellAddison View Post
Hate to burst any bubbles, but the Wal-Mart you are talking about is in DALLAS, not Addison. The Laguna Terrace apartments, likewise, are not in Addison, but in Dallas.

There are plenty of non-chain restaurants in Addison, too. Get off Beltline Road to find them.

The daytime population of Addison swells due to the businesses here, but the number of actual residents is about 15,000. The Addison police make frequent drives through the residential neighborhoods and there is a "close-watch" program for residents when they travel. I returned from a trip early and had the police at the door checking out the situation.

Please don't paint Addison with the same brush that you're using for North Dallas.
Yes, it is technically Dallas. However, it is literally right on the border line of far north Dallas/Addison. It's a good thing that the cops do patrol Addison's residential areas more frequently because the "new" criminals will be heading your way soon.

Last edited by PApisces; 09-15-2007 at 06:14 AM..

Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,572,942 times
I shop at Wal-Mart---not that one -- but WalMarts in my area and I am not AA--am professional, college-educated, middle class anglo...

I am not saying that your perception might be skewed--your problems might have started when the Wal-Mart went in and I do know that people trying to take advantage of returning "lifted" merchandise at Wal-Mart is true...but don't make blanket statements about "all"--that just bugs me to death...
not everyone who shops at Wal-Mart is thuggy...and some people who might look thuggy aren't---

Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM

457 posts, read 428,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I shop at Wal-Mart---not that one -- but WalMarts in my area and I am not AA--am professional, college-educated, middle class anglo...

I am not saying that your perception might be skewed--your problems might have started when the Wal-Mart went in and I do know that people trying to take advantage of returning "lifted" merchandise at Wal-Mart is true...but don't make blanket statements about "all"--that just bugs me to death...
not everyone who shops at Wal-Mart is thuggy...and some people who might look thuggy aren't---
I never said "All" walmarts are bad nor that "all" patrons of this walmart are "thuggy", nor that "all" patrons of any walmart are not white. As you said, you do not live in this area nor shop at this walmart. Go visit it and see what I am saying. As some OP above noted, there is a general "unsafe" feeling there.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:20 PM

261 posts, read 1,513,030 times
Thanks to everyone for their input. I will check out the recommended websites so I can better plan my move. By the way, what are the negative aspects, if any, about Frisco? I hear a lot of good about it (its upcoming, etc) but is there anything I should be aware of before I start looking into homes there?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM

709 posts, read 3,464,279 times
Frisco is nice but honestly it is very congested these days. I don't know that Frisco would be my first choice in looking at homes only because of all the traffic. My folks moved there 13 years ago when it was still basically a small town and when they moved away from there 3 years ago it was etremely overcrowded on the roads and in housing. It's even worse now with all the buildings. If you prefer quieter areas then you might want to look elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM

791 posts, read 2,217,274 times
One's view on 'congestion' may be relative to experience. If you moved there 13 years ago and expect the same traffic today then yes, it's probly congested. Rob, if you're moving here from the NE city life then you'll find Frisco to be north of Dallas, in the country side, about half way to Oklahoma.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,223 times
I've traveled to cities all over the country and lived in FL, CO, AZ, KS and IL. People in Denver area especially are very phony and superficial, snobby and rude.

I now live in Frisco, TX, and I like it fine. The people in the Dallas area are a heck of a lot nicer than any place I've ever lived. (except when they're driving, then it seems like it's bad everywhere.) Frisco is very nice, my ONLY complaint is there isn't much to do except most people shop and eat out all the time. Plus you never see kids outside playing, which I don't understand either. Other than that, we're pretty happy and plan on staying put.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 PM

261 posts, read 1,513,030 times
How are the prices of homes in Frisco compared to Plano, Allen, and McKinney?
I was talking to a friend on the phone today who lives by Murphy and he said that homes in Frisco are on the expensive side compared to Plano & Allen.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,832 times
Default moving

We live in Mesquite, which is a lower economic area than you are looking for, but, there is a really lovely town that is just next to us that is just developing that has some of the most beautiful homes, some on estate sized lots, with a lovely country atmosphere. There are several builders building in the area and the price range is what you mentioned. Many of the homes are very custom in appearance. It is about 10 minutes away from Lake Ray Hubbard, and about 20 minutes from downtown Dallas.

What I am noticing about Daycare, is due to the traffic situation, many parents are choosing establishments closer to where they work so that if they get stuck in traffic, they have already picked up their child. Many daycares charge by the minute if you are late picking up your child. Also if the child gets sick during the day, the parent can leave work, and go and check on their child easier if they are closer to where they work.
Hope this helps, welcome back to Texas !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas