Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 PM

65 posts, read 206,699 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been house hunting for homes near my work (Addison) and saw a subdivision called Bent Tree North. Does anyone live in Bent Tree or know about this area. From what I can tell it is a more established neighborhood with many custom homes ranging from $400K and up. A few questions below for the forum

1) Is this a good place to raise a young family
2) How is crime and safety in general
3) Do the homes hold their value well?. Most of the homes were built in the early 1990's.

4) Should the homes be worth more than the tax appraisal value?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,335,086 times
I moved to Plano from Houston a year and a half ago. I looked at homes in Bent Tree North before deciding on Plano. I liked Bent tree homes, which were newer than most neighborhoods in that area. The lots were somewhat small even for N. Dallas/Plano area. Its Plano Schools but not having kids I didnt focus on the feeder to which one as I decided not to buy there (the home I was interested in went under contract quickly before my wife could get up here to see it) . We looked at a couple of homes after this one in Bent Tree North when my wife arrived and liked the convenience of the area. I am not an urban person and it felt more urban to me than Plano, it just felt "crowded" around the area. I think I have a slight claustraphobia since the area has a nice stream through it and large trees because it is somewhat mature.

There is no general rule on Tax appraisal vs value of home, although the tax appraisals are to be at market value as of the first of each year. However if a how owner has been effective protesting the value, it may be below the market price. Remember if you buy it for more, budget a tax increase into your budget as they will ask and if you dont tell the sales price they will use the list price and make you fight to lower it.\

I have friends from church that live in the area and believe it is a safe area.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM

261 posts, read 559,746 times
We live very near Bent Tree North and have enjoyed living in the area. We have enjoyed living in the area and it is a great location, especially with your work being in Addison.

1) It seems to be a good place for young families. We have two preschoolers and I see many other families with young kids in the area. Its nice to still be city of Dallas with Plano schools. The elementary schools are good (but some may argue not great). There is diversity at the schools in ethnicity and economic status, but i think this is more of a positive than being in an area where everyone is the same. If you dupport your kids they should do well.

2) we havent had any issues with crime, but it is a large city. Ive always felt safe and take my kids for walks or to the nearby park everyday.

3) our home value has pretty much held steady, no big swings up or down.

4) the tax appraisal is usually around the value, homes may be worth more but not significantly.

If you like Bent Tree North, you might also want to check out Oak Tree, Bent Trail, Briar Ridge, or Moss Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: